1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Recon March 2013

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Buckoma, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 TRD 4x4 Ext Cab V6 Manual
    [​IMG]

My cousin and I completed a ridiculously fun solo recon of the Death Valley region... an area I had never explored before. I averaged 150+ pics a day easy!

My poor truck is going into "drydock" for a while as I tend to its needs. We ran into a variety of minor mechanical issues but pressed on battered and bruised and limped home OK. Checking the truck before we left I noticed one bolt at the top of each coilover was missing. Getting new parts would take days. After taking them apart and analyzing things I decided to chance it. On the first day there I noticed that a seal was leaking at a rear tire. I bought some gear oil in Beatty and topped the diff off twice during the trip. It only required a few squirts each time so not a huge deal. Then a wheel center cap bounced off somewhere along Titus Canyon Rd. Goodbye proud plastic piece. Then I busted a rear shock. Then my check engine light came on, which turned out to be a minor emissions problem I thought I had fixed. Oh, and my steering started to groan a lot with slower speed heavy turning. I guess my poor old truck is getting old and needs some extra lovin.

None of this dampened our trip however. Our itinerary turned out to be this:
    Dantes View
    Hole in the Wall
    20 Mule Team Canyon
    Zabriskie Point
    Echo Canyon
    Devils Golf Course
    Natural Bridge
    Badwater
    Artists Drive
    Golden Canyon
    Furnace Creek area
    Harmoney Borax Works
    Mustard Canyon
    Salt Creek
    Devils Cornfield
    Mesquite Flat Dunes
    Stovepipe Village
    Mosaic Canyon
    Stovepipe Well
    Rhyolite Ghost Town
    Titus Canyon Road
    Scotty's Castle
    Ubehebe Crater
    Teakettle Junction
    The Racetrack
    Hidden Valley to Lee Flat
    Talc City Mines
    Darwin
    Father Crowley Point
    Darwin Falls
    Panamint Springs ($6 gal gas)
    Emigrant Canyon
    Skidoo Townsite
    Harrisburg
    Aquereberry Point
    Charcoal Kilns
    Mahogany Flat
    Panamint Valley
    Ballarat Ghost Town
    Goller Canyon (Barker Ranch)
    Mengel Pass
    Russell's Camp
    Warm Springs
    Ashford Mill

It was a good mix of paved, high clearance, 4x4, walk, and hike. And too many old mines to mention.

The whole trip from Phoenix was about 1200 miles, say about 380 one-way, leaving about 440 miles in and around the park or roughly 73 miles a day/average in the area. Sounds like a lot but didn't seem like a lot for some reason. But it was definitely not a leisurely camping trip, it was an uptempo "go" trip packed and designed to maximize mobility and cover some ground. We set camp between 6-6:30pm and broke around 7-7:30am. We weren't rushed, just active. I run the spectrum when it comes to outdoor trips and this particular mission was very much a recon... and an epic run it was!

Too many pics to deal with but here's a fairly representative sampling.

I will say that the trail from the mouth of Goler through Mengel Pass and into Striped Butte Valley was no joke. Although we passed through fairly smoothly with no spotting/stacking/multiple attempts/etc, I was just a couple inches away from sheetmetal damage one or two times. A small group of motos with cameras on their helmets was working it and we saw one of them biff it pretty hard. Of course stretches like that can be pretty stressful and I rarely think to get cool pictures along the way :(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Apr 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    snowtank

snowtank whys the rum gone

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 txpro dcsb 08 trd sprt dcsb
    Some stuff here and there....
    Looks like an awesome trip! Great pics. Nice truck too

3. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, since I normally can only take longer trips in the summer I figured I better squeeze in Death Valley now since I'm not working atm. Still looking to do a summer trip... maybe Elk Mountains, CO.

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    DV is a beautiful place to visit. Sounds like you had a great time. Titus Canyon is a must see. Did you go thru Echo Canyon or just to the water falls?

5. Apr 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Went to Inyo mine, guessing about 8-10 miles in.

To Top