1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deaver 3 Leaf AAL?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 96er, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    96er

96er [OP] Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    How come this setup isn't talked about more frequently as a way of lifting 1.5" in the rear without the harsh ride of a single AAL? I ran them on my '98 Limited with Donahoe CO's in front and the ride was great. Price point is in between a full replacement pack and single AAL.

Reason I'm asking is because a) the wheeler's 5 leaf packs are $459 and b) lots of people are complaining about the squeaking with those packs.

I'm trying to construct a nice, level ~2" lift (OME 881 in front) since my stock shocks are past it and while I'm upgrading might as well do the 2" lift. I almost forgot about the deaver 3 leaf as a 'viable' option.

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    I have the wheelers 3 leaf AAL on my truck and I love it :D
    I did have to remove my OL leaf though, maybe thats why people dont like it as much? idk

3. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Locked Sport
    OME 885s w/ 13mm Top Plate, LR-UCA, Dakars, Timbrens, 5100s all around, Pilfreybilt Aluminum front plate bumper, Snugtop Shell w/ Thule racks, AFE ProDry S, Foglights w/ parking lights, DIY DTRL mod, Rigid Industries LEDs, Weathertech Digifit, Bed Mat, DIY Maglight Mod, 265/70/17 on 17x9 Procomp 7069s.
    Main 3 reasons I think...
    1. Possible not a ton of people have them, so less "thoughts on them"
    2. Most people don't mind the "stiff ride"of an aal - it is a truck..
    3. Like said above, less carrying capacity. That was told to me from alcan themselves. If it is mentioned, I would have to guess that you lose something big enough to have to say something.

4. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    most people still prob want to be able to haul a decent amount of stuff and dont want to have to remove the overload leaf to run the 3 leaf AAL packs.

from the people that do run them, all i have heard are good things. solid set up at a great price.

5. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    this!

I hated my single AAL. I thought maybe 5100's would help it but it was still the same. after I switched it was soooo much smoother. i drive a midsize truck, not a F350..

6. Jun 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy BRT

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I like mine.

7. Jun 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    96er

96er [OP] Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    Thank you everyone for the information. As I mentioned, I loved it with my '98 Limited. Didn't mind removing the overload since I'm not constantly hauling stuff around. It's also $160 less than the complete 5 leaf pack which is turning me away due to the squeaking problem.

So the OME 881's with Nitrocharged shocks at all 4 corners and the Deaver 3 leaf AAL in the rear should be a nice, relatively level setup right? Not looking to run 32's (probably not), just need to get my suspension up to par.

Also going to do rack bushings, sway bar bushings and possibly lower ball joints. The truck is super smooth on nice roads but rough roads throw me around some! I'll post pics of my build once I get the stuff and install (hopefully 2 weeks).

To Top