1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deaver U402's Stage 1 leaf springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 01 dhrracer, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Aug 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Based on what I have read in numerous threads the U402's won't sag as much as OEM when loaded up, but I'm curious does anyone have data or anecdotal info on sag amount when loading past 400-500lbs on Stage 1?

Curious because my 2015 DCSB has a camper shell and custom-built drawer system in the bed (estimating those alone weight ~300lbs). That's before loading up for a trip. Planning to add sliders next so I'd guess I'm at 500 easy for a normal weekend outing. Still doesn't feel like I should go Stage 2 though...

LostHusker likes this.
  2. Oct 19, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    IcePlant

IcePlant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2017 BLACK TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB 4X4
    -King 3" Lift -Leitner ACS Forged Bed Rack -TRD Pro Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust -TRex/ZRoadz Light Bar Grille
    What did you end up doing? I have 180 lbs of constant weight in the bed, but loaded up with Roof top tent and gear, I'm about 500lbs.
    I'm stuck wondering if I should get Stage 1 or Stage 2s. Deaver said stage 1, but that was before I could even finish my sentence on the phone. Thanks in advance!

BurlyJim likes this.
  3. Oct 19, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    I'm still in the planning stages, sorry no real-world input yet. Got sliders that I'm waiting to install, then going to weigh my truck on a local CAT scale and re-evaluate. Been doing lots of the mundane maintenance work at 100k so that it will last another 100k and unfortunately the "fun" stuff like lifts is backburner for the moment.

IcePlant[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    IcePlant

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    -King 3" Lift -Leitner ACS Forged Bed Rack -TRD Pro Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust -TRex/ZRoadz Light Bar Grille
    What have you been doing maintenance wise? I am at 96,000 and was just looking over the 100,000 service and it looks like a coolant flush is required. I did the spark plugs at 60,000 so I should have another 20,000 miles until those are due again. Thanks for the quick response.

I currently have Old Man Emu Dakar HDs and they have started to sag on the driver side and my tires are starting to have uneven wear, and I can feel it too. So I'm trying to figure out if I should go with stage 1 or stage 2! I'm leaning towards stage 2, but I don't want to make the wrong choice! Especially after Deaver told me stage 1! But the Dakar HDs are rated for 600lbs of constant load and I put those on with no extra added weight...
    Sorry for rambling :)

5. Oct 19, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    OmahTako

OmahTako Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma-1ea. Tundra-1ea.
    For what it’s worth whatever Deaver told you is probably the direction you probably want to go.

TVH475, Bertw192 and IcePlant[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Oct 20, 2021 at 1:09 AM
    BurlyJim

BurlyJim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheridan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG TRDOR 4x4 M/T LT
    I am also in the same boat! I have a constant load of 200 lbs with a tonneau, bedrack, and sliders (I divided by half). With tent, accessories, and gear, I come out to roughly 400-500 lbs. I wanted to ask Deaver to make me a custom intermediate level U402, but they told me, "You are right at max, if you have any more weight then go stage 2". Im thinking of going with the stage 1 as they rec'd so I can have a cushier ride, and it sounds like the max weight they should handle is 500 lbs. However, if I get a high clearance rear bumper, I think I will have to grab a stage 2 at a later date.

I am at 200 lbs 90% of the time, except for when I go camping. Hopefully the stage 1's don't sag as easily as other brands when under 500 lbs.

wi_taco likes this.
  7. Oct 20, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    Jonofthehills

Jonofthehills Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arcata, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 trd 4x4
    In the fashion of you going to the stage 2's, respectively I have done this for the stage 3 U402's on my truck. I roll underweighted of Deaver's recommended weight by 200 lbs and it still rides plush over bumps and comfortably on/off road and haven't regretted it. I am sitting at a heavier weight overall so, I can't be sure if this translates well for you :confused:

IcePlant and BurlyJim[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Oct 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    IcePlant

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    I ended up going with the stage 2's for the extra capacity. I spoke with Deaver again today and although they recommended Stage 1 for my constant load of 200lbs, they understand that some guys, like me, don't like squat when loaded up. So it's a trade off of comfort for capacity. I'm currently running the OME Dakar HD's which, I'm pretty sure, are rated for 600lbs constant load, and I originally put those on with NO weight in the bed at all - ride has always felt fine to me. Deaver is currently sold out of the stage 2's. I found them in stock at Runnin4Tacos. Thanks again everyone for the input.

9. Oct 20, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    Jonofthehills

Jonofthehills Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arcata, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 trd 4x4
    Nice:thumbsup:

IcePlant[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 21, 2021 at 8:59 PM
    BurlyJim

BurlyJim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheridan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG TRDOR 4x4 M/T LT
    Would having kings w/ adjusters impact my decision on stage 1 or 2?

From everyone's input I may end up going for stage 2 just to be safe. Cali-raised & accutune may have stock of the deavers. Checking tomorrow.

11. Oct 22, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    AccuTune Offroad

AccuTune Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    Springs and shocks do two different things. Choose springs based on weight and shocks based on budget and target performance.

hokiehunter19, SigBoy, TVH475 and 2 others like this.
  12. Oct 22, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Want to add to your statement for those not aware: Choose rear shocks that have appropriate compressed/extended lengths to compliment your rear spring travel (or at least be aware they could be a limiting factor and understand the consequences if you offroad).

13. Oct 22, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    AccuTune Offroad

AccuTune Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    I think you summed it up pretty well. A very common thing we see also, is people having too stiff/tall of a rear leaf pack and then not able to get the front end to be level. In doing so, they max out the front coilovers so now both front and rear ride horrible.

BurlyJim and wi_taco[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Oct 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM
    bhigbee

bhigbee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barney
    Hayden Id
    Vehicle:
    Wrecked 07 DCSB
    35s, flatbed, rhino liner paint, SOS front bumper, JD Fab lca pivot, JD Fab inner fenders and some other stuff.
    I can attest to this. I ordered my stage 2s in mid June and still haven't seen them. Has anyone else had trouble getting ahold of Deaver? I haven't been able to talk to anyone there to get a straight answer for when my springs are going to show up.

15. Nov 10, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC

I think you'll be happy with this. I currently sit on Stage I's with ~500lbs in the bed; I've more or less ended up back at stock height but they've gotten pretty soft and if I add anything additional they start to sag pretty fast.

ETAV8R and wi_taco like this.
  16. Nov 10, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    This is VERY helpful for my situation, thanks for sharing! I've been leaning stage I based on reports here and your scenario was exactly what I don't want. I have a camper shell, custom drawer/platform, and just about to mount up 4xInnovations sliders so I'll be at least 500lbs over without even considering camping gear. Looks like I'm doing stage II.

ETAV8R likes this.
  17. Nov 10, 2021 at 3:15 PM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC

I'd give some serious consideration to just skipping to Stage III if you're already going to be at 500 all the time. Depending on how much extra stuff you have its not hard to start adding pretty substantial extra weight when you're fully loaded. When I sat down and got real honest with myself and added up all of my constant base weight I'm already over 500 lbs and thats a fairly basic load. I can only speak for the Stage I's currently, however, I've found with these springs, especially when at or over max load rating, the way the weight is distributed matters a lot too. I do a lot of shooting and hunting along with my camping, when I add in my steel targets (about 50 lbs) and the dog (60 lbs) and a full tank of gas over the ~500 lb base weight, thats where the back starts getting really soft and sagging. I have a 5 gallon water can mounted just behind the axle, 3 gallon sprayer and yeti tundra 35 mounted at the very back of the bed. After a day of outdoorsing, if I didn't already know because I was using it, I could tell you when my water level was getting low by the way the ass end of the truck handles, especially Offroad. If I remove the cooler, jerry can and sprayer the back doesn't lift up much more but it handles way better, and that isn't much stuff removed. Without looking stuff up, I would say an aftermarket swing out bumper + 5 gallon water can + larger spare tire relocated to the back could easily be near 300 lbs over stock or at least have a similar effect because of the location of the weight.

I'm just saying... get autistic with the weighing because stuff starts adding up quickly. I was going to go Stage II, ended up going Stage III and I'll see where things go when I get the III's installed but I can see contacting Deaver for a custom pack above Stage III specs as a real possibility. I do a lot of hunting, especially pig and coyote hunting and by "a lot" I'm not just talking about a week or two week long trips but also multiple day or two day long trips every month. During the winter I'll certainly do some week and two week trips but on any given month I'll be spending at least five days hunting, and where I hunt involves a good amount of pretty hardcore (for Florida) off road driving; so for me, when I look at constant load I'm not just looking at what's sitting back there 24/7/365 but also what's going to be back there constantly five times a month for a day. For reasons like this, I think its a good idea to have some fudge room for "miscellaneous constant" loads that might not be constant 24/7 in the back of the truck but might be "constant" while on the types of trips we build these trucks and buy these leaf springs to go on.

I do a substantial amount of Offroad driving and after driving an overloaded truck around both off and on road for a year and 20k miles, for me, I'd much rather my truck ride a little harsh on road than ride and handle like shit off road. Id rather feel every tiny expansion joint and minor divot going down I-75 most of the month than spend a precious day of hunting or camping getting thrown all over my cab even at painfully low speeds.

GilbertOz and wi_taco[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Nov 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Wow lots of info thanks for all that. I’m somewhat the opposite but still ends the same: I daily drive mostly on boring flat highway, but sometimes I’ll go on a crazy run like driving 8,000 total miles across the southwest deserts, or maybe live inside my camper shell for 2 weeks while hiking/hunting/exploring the northern Wisconsin woods. My build is definitely biased for comfort doing the 90% of daily life but it has to perform those other times when I demand it to.

Good thing is my loadouts aren’t as heavy and I always travel solo so it makes balancing the weight quite easy. Don’t really tow right now so that also eliminates many other considerations. On stock rear leafs I sag a couple inches but still not terrible. Stage 2 will likely be enough for anything I need to do for 99.999% of things on this platform.

Again thanks for sharing your thoughts on these, helps the rest of us to make good choices!

Dr. Cornwallis likes this.
  19. Nov 21, 2021 at 10:21 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Great thread. Been wanting Deavers for a long time as I currently have OME leafs and they need replacement.

20. Nov 26, 2021 at 8:23 PM
    bhigbee

bhigbee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barney
    Hayden Id
    Vehicle:
    Wrecked 07 DCSB
    35s, flatbed, rhino liner paint, SOS front bumper, JD Fab lca pivot, JD Fab inner fenders and some other stuff.
    I finally got my leaf springs and installed them yesterday. All I can say is what a difference. I got the stage 2s because I'm constantly 500lbs over stock or more when I'm hauling anything. The ride is much more stable. I haven't got to use it off-road yet but on road is much better. It's about 2.5 inches higher in the rear but I might wait a bit to see if they settle any. So far I'm stoked.

Products Discussed in

To Top