1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Debating on whether to be a new taco owner?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by popmytaco, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    popmytaco

popmytaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Here is my general question to start...Do I get a Tacoma or a full size? (I would lean towards new RAM1500 or early 2000s F250)

I'm 26 and have liked the Tacoma for years. I actually went to a toyota dealership to get one in 2006 but left with a 2003 dakota :p I honestly loved my dakota because of how it worked for me and what I needed. It was simple, meaning no extra do-dads. I only got rid of it because I drive a lot and needed a car for the mpg. The dakota was the SLT V8 4.7L, 4WD, club cab.

I've always loved the look, off-road capabilities, and how easy(availability) it is to change things on the Tacoma. The problem is, I have no experience actually working on autos minus oil/filter change, tire rotation, etc. However, I am a very quick learner and interested too. One time, on my dakota the blower of the cabin air would only work ON/OFF. I investigated and found out the resistor bank went bad so I replaced it and all GOOD.

As far as usage, I live on a 360acre farm. 180acres is forest and ponds. I would mostly use a new truck for off-roading/fun and communiting. Not a lot of hauling, even though I would like to tinker with it and figure out how to increase the payload. The two things that are holding me back from the tacoma is price and size, mostly. The newer tacomas seem to be as large as a full-size. Also, a newer taco is just as expensive as a full size.

Please help...if you need more info for a good suggestion just ask.

Thanks

2. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    Scalded_Dawg

Scalded_Dawg Not as new as my post count would appear

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stripped Steel and Sex Appeal
    Tacoma daily and 4Runner to play
    The tacoma (if kept in good condition) will retain its resale value much better than the other full size trucks you mentioned.
    Its hard to directly compare against a F250... size, weight, hauling and towing capacity differences are huge. Apples and oranges.

There's my $.02.

3. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    jsutter

jsutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Akron, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab 4cyl 2wd
    cruise and intermittent wipers
    What do you mean by increasing the payload?

If you sold your truck to get a car for the MPGs, and you do not tow or haul, I would suggest a 4cyl 4x4. They are great trucks and get very reasonable MPGs (the V6 4x4 would be similar or marginally better than a full sized). You can get them with no bells and whistles and the small light size makes them a pretty good little off-roader; plenty sufficient for messing around on the farm. They are the cheaper option as well.

BUT, they are not meant for having a big payload. Can you give some examples on what you plan on hauling that you would need to have a large "payload"?

4. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    Appljaxx

Appljaxx He said "Member," ahuh huh

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB
    OME Nitrocharger front, 5/8 front spacer, 885s, OME N182s rear, dakar leafs, Diff Drop, TRD exhaust, Blackout emblems, 20% tint, Hi-Jack bed mounted, Dwreck sliders on order :)
    Ive had 5 tacomas and a host of other trucks including ford dodge and Chevy. The Tacoma has been far and away the best for a couple of reasons.

I ve never had to fix something on a Tacoma that I didnt break myself. They look cool. If you figure in the high high resell value, they are not expensive to own. Highly modifiable.

Plus there are tons of little things that you don't think about like storage (little places everywhere), seats that barely wear with age (sport mesh), and tons of other little things.

Go toyo, you won't regret it.

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    What is the real debate? Which Tacoma to go with?

I know you have owned a Dodge with what seems to be relatively minor problems, so don't push your luck with another piece of junk. As for the f250, not a bad truck, but as you said, you're not hauling anything so no need for something that big. The Tacoma will suit your needs of having fun and getting you from here to there, plus in the event you do need to tow something, the Taco holds it's own. I have 2 22' boats that I hardly even notice they are there.

6. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Regular cab lifted 4wd
    Lost track many mods ago
    This

7. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    Go Tacoma, you won't regret it!
    [​IMG]

8. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
  9. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Just do it, I say. Nothing like driving one around for a while to see if you really like it, especially if you're interested in it. It's not like you have to keep it forever! I had an F-150 4x4 ext cab before my Tacoma 4x4 double cab. I was looking for a double cab with better gas mileage. I've always driven full size trucks, but I just decided to make the jump and try it out.

10. Dec 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.
    Another thing to consider. If you're worried about size, the Tacoma is roughly the same size as older full size trucks (ie 2002 F150, older Tundra before the redesign). The newer full size trucks are much bigger than the taco. That was one of the main issues for me. Well a) I've wanted a taco since I was able to drive, and b) the taco is easier to park than today's mammoth full size trucks. In reality though, don't let an internet message board make the decision for you. Get what's best for you and yours.

11. Dec 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    popmytaco

Member:
    Iowa
    Thanks all!

I don't think the question anymore is which truck to get, but rather which taco (mostly which year)?

I know more about the last couple years but not much about the years before that. I WANT to buy slightly used (2 or 3 years) or new (if I find the right one) just because starting off I'm not going to change modify anything. I'll wait til it's paid or past warranty and then do that once I've had it more and know what I want to add to the truck.

I know I want...V6 because I'm not worried about mpg anymore and I want the added power, 4x4, double cab, probably black or white or charcoal gray. Also, do you have to get the super charger aftermarket?

12. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    If you get a Tacoma, get one under warranty or buy the extended from Costco.
    You will need it.

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    My experience with used Tacos is that they are almost as expensive as new ones. I was looking to buy a 2 year old truck and ended up buying new since it was only about $1500 difference in price. I'd just buy a new one and be done with it.

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    Troll! :spy:

15. Dec 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    MakoTacoma

MakoTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '97 xtra cab DX 4x4
    Just traded my '10 Taco with 37K miles for a newer Taco with same options... what they gave me on trade was ridiculous... not far from the purchase price of the new one I got. These things simply hold their resale... unlike Fords/Dodges/Chevy's. :thumbsup:

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    popmytaco

Member:
    Iowa
    Good to know!

To Top