1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Debating the Rear TSB spring swap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomiker, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    do it,
    but you will want to put the 5100 on some time in the future - makes the truck even better !!!!!

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Had TSB done on my 2009, 4x2 last week and I love the new 4 leaf springs. ... :D

SOS

3. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Great info here ... thanks ...

SOS

4. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

OOpps sorry, I was thinking shocks :eek:

5. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    tanktodd

tanktodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    back on the right side of the bay, Ala
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner w/TRD Sport Pkg
    Limo tint in back w/ 20% on doors. Removed all badges. Stereo headunit, all new door speakers, 2 amps, and 10' sub...so far Black bullbar MotoMetals and 285/70/17 Duratracs. 3" OME springs in front and aal in back with tsb springs Black UWS tool box 5100's all around Plasti-dipped evo front end Fog light anytime mod OEM steps (for sale) HID fogs 55w 3000k HID heads 35 w 6000k "Cool white" dome & map lights
    I called the dealer this morning and asked about the tsb cause my truck is listed. Service said that as long as it was under warranty then it was no problem. Then talked to parts and they said the springs were $600 each and service would have to ok it first. Then spoke with same guy in service and now they want to look at truck first to see what it needed. What is everyone's opinion on what will happen Monday?

6. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  7. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Print the TSB out. There is a link to the PDF around here somewhere. Search for T-SB-0305-08.

Here is the "indication/justification"

"Some customers may experience a harsh ride from the rear suspension while carrying heavy cargo in the bed and driving over bumps or uneven road surfaces. Updated rear spring assemblies and front and rear shocks are available to improve this condition."

They cannot say no if your complain about this exact condition. Show them the TSB.

Personally, I took the easier route and called Toyota's Customer Experience number:
    800-331-4331 and complained that it rode badly with a load and cited the above TSB number. The lady asked for my VIN number, then told me I was eligible. I asked her to set it up for me. She said sure and asked for preferred dealership. A couple hours later the local service manager called me asking when I wanted it done.

BTW, this is when the service manager will give you the b.s. line about "You know it will ride rough, are you sure...." I notice no diff unloaded!

(bolding occurred when I pasted phone number and I couldn't get rid of it!) :mad:

8. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    tanktodd

tanktodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    back on the right side of the bay, Ala
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner w/TRD Sport Pkg
    Limo tint in back w/ 20% on doors. Removed all badges. Stereo headunit, all new door speakers, 2 amps, and 10' sub...so far Black bullbar MotoMetals and 285/70/17 Duratracs. 3" OME springs in front and aal in back with tsb springs Black UWS tool box 5100's all around Plasti-dipped evo front end Fog light anytime mod OEM steps (for sale) HID fogs 55w 3000k HID heads 35 w 6000k "Cool white" dome & map lights
    I already have the tsb printed out and my vin # is eligible so i'm gonna see what the dealership says Monday and then if I don't like what I hear then I will call Toyota.

9. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    I had a 2005 Tacoma and now I have a 2008 Tacoma both were TRD offroads and in the 5 years of owning both trucks I have actually hit the bump stops once while hauling a 4 wheeler and hitting a large bump off-road.
    I have driven a friends TRD that had the spring tsb done and to be honest I like the way my truck looks, rides and drives much better than his. I do use my truck to haul things and I pull a 23' camper 8 or 10 times a year with no problems at all.

If you are not sure about getting the spring tsb done. Just ask yourself.
    Am I hitting the bump stops on my truck the way I'm using it?

If the answer is yes by all mean get the tsb done. If the answer is no then stay with the better ride and do not worry about the spring tsb.

10. Oct 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I have an '08 and have traveled cross country (and back) twice. Both times while loaded only with luggage I rode the bump stops all the way. First time didn't know any better :eek: Have not done it yet with the new springs, but sincerely hope she rides better.

11. Oct 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    The factory springs must not all be the same because mine do just fine. That is two sets of factory springs on two different trucks in five years and have on hit the bump stops once.

12. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    i hauled 300lbs worth of bricks several times and have no clue what the "bump stops" are. lol. i guess i figured all that noise and bumping was the bricks moving around

13. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    trd sport

trd sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    queens,ny
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab trd sport
    I called the dealer the other day to set up an appt. and they asked me whatwas wrong and I told them when I load the truck with my atv it is hitting the bump stops all the time, they told me they need to check the vehicle first with the same amount of weight and for me to supply the weight... I just laughed and then he said he would supply it. My question is does a TSB have to get done or is it up to the descetion of the dealer? I really do not feel safe driving down the highway with just 500-600 lbs in the rear. Every bump is magnified by 100 times. My truck is an 07 double cab TRD Sport. Please advise how I can see if my truck vin # is an approved application of the sring swap.

14. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

Cross check Your vin and spring part numbers with the TSB. Search one of the threads here for the full PDF of the TSB. Check the first page.

15. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    leg killa

leg killa Well-Known Member

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    Hey guys..I have a 06 with 39k.I'm guessing that I am too late for the free TSB.next year I am going to be stationed across the country and I am thinking about towing the wifes vehicle.what would you guys suggest?pretty new to the truck thing.used to work on imports and am a mechanic in the army

16. Oct 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    Sorry for the type errors..I know that i will need a hitch and a tranny cooler

17. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    808matt

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    you will need a supercharger to tow that load. ;)

18. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    808matt

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger

LoL

19. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    i hope your not serious..lol.its a 07 colbalt 4door

20. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    "Personally, I took the easier route and called Toyota's Customer Experience number: 800-331-4331 and complained that it rode badly with a load and cited the above TSB number. The lady asked for my VIN number, then told me I was eligible. I asked her to set it up for me. She said sure and asked for preferred dealership. A couple hours later the local service manager called me asking when I wanted it done".
    .... dreamnz

Do the above and choose the best local dealer that you know of....

Products Discussed in

To Top