1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Debating the Rear TSB spring swap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomiker, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Just had mine done and am so pleased. Wish I would have done it sooner. Looks and rides great now.

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    leg killa

leg killa Well-Known Member

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    what is the TSB number?sorry if its a dumb question..im going to call toyota and see if i could do the same thing

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    tacomiker

tacomiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    Tint, Lo Pro tonneau cover,Weather techs, BFG AT ,
    Looks like someone beat me to it.

4. Oct 13, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    poorman148

poorman148 New Member

Member:
    Please be gentle, this is my first post here.

Does this TSB pertain to my 09 Taco?

I was about to get a rear leaf added because it cannot haul a lot around without the rear leafs going straight. I went to my local spring man and he said "yes I need an additional spring just with that cap it's almost overloaded".

Adding a new spring by myself isn't an option, too old.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

5. Oct 13, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    poorman148

poorman148 New Member

Member:
    Reading this again and checking my vin, I guess I am not a candidate for this tsb.

I have a 2 wd '09 Taco, with access cab.

So now I go to my spring man and pay $425.00 for the extra leaf.

Thanks,

Rich

6. Oct 13, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    tacomiker

tacomiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    Tint, Lo Pro tonneau cover,Weather techs, BFG AT ,
    Yes it should,if you have 3 leafs on it now then you have not had the upgrade.The new ones have 4 leafs and are the upgraded part.You can also look on top of springs and it has numbers on them and if they are 48210-04550 on right and 48220-04190 on left they are the old ones.Just go to dealer and explain problem and they will order parts.

7. Oct 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    pikegi

pikegi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 WHT LB DC TRD Sport 4X4
    I took my 09 Dbl Cab 4x4 today to dealer trying to get the TSB fix with new springs. I had no luck! They checked the suspension and said everything was good and even check alignment due to my complaint of "harsh ride" when carrying heavy load! Called the 800 number and they told me to take it to a dealer. What do I need to try next? Oh yeah, my vin was included with the TSB and the dealer said that the only thing that number was for was to identify the manufacturing plant!

8. Oct 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    just called up toyota and they told me to get a estimate on the upgrade at my local toyota dealership...im passed 36k miles so they might be able to help me out under their good will policy...idk.crossing fingers i dont have to pay for this...

does anyone know of the approximate cost for parts and labor on this upgrade?

9. Oct 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Picked up mine Saturday. The invoice total for parts an allignment were $1700. That is for a trd. A non trd would cost more I'd guess since they also install 4 bilsteins. I don't think that even included labor on the leaf spring installation.

By the way, the ride is WAY better. Even with an empty bed. Hard to describe but it feels like a totally different truck. More solid and smoother. I look forward to driving it more too! I didn't expect to like the feel of it this much with an empty bed. I thought it would feel too firm but it doesn't. Find a way to get it done!

10. Oct 13, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    thanks..i hate my dealership around here..hopefully i dont get an BS from them..im trying to avoid messing with them too much...

11. Oct 21, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    Tacomojo

Tacomojo Mojo Mofo

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro, AT, White
    Just had the suspension mods done on my 08' TRD Prerunner Doublecab yesterday and all I can say is WOW!

I've considered doing this for months as I frequently drive with a bed full of stuff for either recreation or home improvement. The truck has always felt wimpy in the suspension department. The final straw was our family trip to the CO Rockies back in August. Me, wife, and son with a A.R.E. topped, back end filled (thoughtfully and proportionally) with tent-camping gear for a week's stay - and the poor truck's frame was practically laying on the springs! Yuk! Many times during the drive from TN we bottomed out HARD and I didn't know if we would make it to Estes Park without busting something.

Now, the Tacoma stands up proud and firm --- as a truck should. The unladen ride quality is confidently stiffer but not uncomfortable in any way. Getting the spring/shock swap done was a good move for us!

BTW, Rivergate Toyota, in Madison, TN did me right, from the get-go, with absolutely no hassles. Superb customer service!

Products Discussed in

To Top