1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

decided on ICON but still have some ?'s

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MileHighTaco, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    MileHighTaco

MileHighTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    denver
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    This will be the first truck I've lifted, so excuse the possibly dumb questions. I've done a ton of research, but still am not sure of what I want/need. Here's what I've decided on:

Front: ICON C/O and TC UCAs, but I can't decide if I should get the extended travel and/or the reservoirs or not. I will be mostly crawling up trails and some rocks. Suggestions?

Rear: ICON resi shocks. The questions I have here are about lift. I want 3" all the way around, so I was thinking of getting the all pro standard duty leaf springs instead of the ICON aal. Is that the way to go, or is there something better?

Is there anything else I am going to need such as a u-bolt flip kit, extended brake lines, etc...

Also, where can I get the best deal? Right now I'm looking at buying from off road warehouse, the "desert sale." http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/4/sfID2/78/sfID3/83/productID/39121 This seems good, but there is no warranty information. Obviously, I don't want to spend all this money and have no where to turn if something is wrong with the parts.

Wheels/Tires: FJ Trail Team 16x7.5, 4.5" backspacing, Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16. ICON recommends 16x8 wheels with 5" backspacing. Will the FJ wheels be ok? And will I need to trim anything to make the tires fit?

Thanks for the help!

2. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    Get the extended travel for sure. Resevoirs are not needed for what you are doing. Get the all-pro leafs, flip kit if you want, and extended brakelines would be a good idea. The wheels will work just fine. Everything else sounds great!

3. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    We have a package deal with the Icon Extended Travel and Total Chaos UCAs. You get free shipping on the package. As far as rear lifts, Usually a 1.5-2" lift in the rear will make the truck sit level with 3" of lift in the front. If you do 3" of lift in the rear the truck will have a factory rake look. You will want to get longer rear shocks and extended rear brake lines as well, to go with the rear lift.

4. Jan 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Definitely get the extended travel. With uniball UCA's thats probably the best mid travel set up and has the most wheel travel without going LT. 1.5" aal in the rear will be perfect. I believe the Icon's come pre-set at 2.5" which is the sweet spot on those so anything more in the rear will be too much. Factor rake is already 1.5". Wheelers 3 leaf aal is nice and basically the same as what Icon recommends.

Nice Choice and post pic's!

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    I now that you get a lot of snow in winter, there . If they are using any salt on the road ??? then I would strongly reconsider the front option.
    In a year and half, I been thru two sets of seals on my Icons. They are leaking badly again. I call them and ask - whats wrong with this???
    They told me that the winter could be harsh on the seals. Now,, some of my friends are running EMU for more then five years and still like new.
    Try to call them -Icon's- and see what they are saying. Don't get tricked by the shiny look. For $1600 (purchase and rebuild),, I could have bought two sets of EMU. This is my experience with. Wish you a better one.

Good luck.

6. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    Blkturbo!

Blkturbo! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma; 05 Seadoo RXP; 94 Turbo Supra
    Icon Coilovers, Downsouth UCAs, rear Icon "2.5" shocks and Toytec single AAL. Still gotta do exhaust, dark headlights and re-gear the rear diff.
    I've read about the leaking issue before. So why is it that icons are labeled as such great shocks along with the other popular "greats"?

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Its just Virgilus. I would say he has a bad set. He's the only instance I've ever seen reported. That stuff you read about before? That was him too:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/118639-icons-leak.html

Icons are labeled as great coilovers because they are.

8. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    x2 wouldnt hesitate buying them again.

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    They are great shocks. As long you don't expose the seals to any salt. If you look at EMU,, or Bilstein you will see that the seals are incased (protected) from stones, salt, etc.
    You just have to decide where you are going to use them. They may look nice and shiny in California but up north they don't last more then a winter then you have to remove them, go with out the truck for few days and install new seals. This ,, I just found it the hard way. $$$$$. Now I am looking to buy a EMU set.

Both guys are right. I never heard of anyone else having this problem or the guys don't want to talk about it. It could be that I have bad luck.

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Uh, I have no doubt there are MANY people up north running Icon suspension components without seasonal removal.

I seriously think it's either your set of shocks or something you do with your truck that doesn't apply to the rest of us.

Products Discussed in

To Top