1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decided to do my own oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crosis, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:31 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Man. My oil changes cost ~$70 for the oil, plus a filter.

1Shifter and Aw9d like this.
  2. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Congratulations on changing your own oil... you know it was done right! To make it even easier permanently attach with a hose clamp a 3-4' piece of 5/16" ID fuel line to the drain nipple, run it down past skid plate. Drain filter oil into pan on floor and when done cap the end off... no mess!!

Maggot61 and 1Shifter like this.
  3. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    My dealer has a checklist for Toyota Care stuff. They measure fluid levels going and going out, tire pressure, and what specs wheels were torqued to. I've watched them one time and the tech actually do all that. But like everywhere else, you can get a good tech and a bad tech.

4. Dec 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    That was ur first oil change ever?! Better late than never I guess. I was changing oil with the old man before I was in middle school.

The lesson he taught me that keeps me changing it out myself to this day is simply this " Nobody cares about you or your shit more than you do." Ya it sucks crawling under there but at least you KNOW it's done right.

Markcal and spitdog like this.
  5. Dec 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Not a fan of having ANY service provider adjusting tire pressure. Tires are likely to be partially "warm". If anything, I have them set them 5 pounds above normal, then the next morning, at home, no driving, no sun I lower them to what I want - usually 33 pounds on my P series tires.

6. Dec 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    not a bad idea, i usually hang a solo cup underneath it. I keep it for future changes

tacotrucktrd15 likes this.
  7. Dec 2, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    WOW...:eek:

8. Dec 2, 2016 at 12:39 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    I remember just waxing my Tacoma and the next day I had the dealership do a recall, they also gave me a free car wash. Going around the back of the dealership, I remember seeing their car wash, that looked old., with dirty looking brushes. The dealership should ask customers if they want the free wash IMO, because the time I spent waxing mine was wasted after they did their car wash and I would have passed on mine. :(

1Shifter likes this.
  9. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:13 PM
    1Shifter

1Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Outta the black and into the blue
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same as everybody else...
    I think that's the same deal for dino oc that my dealer charges in Maryland. I'm sure the dealer is still making bank on the deal. I guess that the dealers cost for the oil and filter is 1/3 of what it cost us retail.

Markcal and Aw9d[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM
    1Shifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    I usually decline the car wash.

11. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM
    Crosis

Crosis [OP] Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    No, there is no need to. I change oil every 3k miles and at that frequency Mobil 1 is a waste of money and provides no more protection than dinosaur oil.

12. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:42 PM
    Crosis

Crosis [OP] Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I poked a hole in the filter and let it sit for 20 minutes. When I removed it not one drop spilled.

13. Dec 2, 2016 at 2:46 PM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    I get two free oil changes /yr from my dealer. I took advantage of it for the first 4 years or so but with my mileage building they seemed to 'find' issues with the truck with every oil change. Plus every time I would change the oil after they changed it I need to pound a screwdriver thru the filter to remove it.
    I plan on making a waste oil heater for my workshop and I have plenty of oil for that.

1Shifter likes this.
  14. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM
    1Shifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Ouch..why so much?

15. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    1Shifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Using any good quality oil that meets spec will do the trick. I have used M1,QSUD and Pennzoil Platinum synthetics and I'm satisfied with all of them. If you want solid info take a sample of your next oil change and send to Blackstone Labs to get it analyzed. I change every 4500-5000 miles and could go much further on it if I wanted, I'm just not sure the OEM filter can go the distance.

16. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM
    Awsome57

Awsome57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yeah I though I used valvoleen in it last and I didn't hear the lifters now I put Mobil 1 back into it and I hear the lifters on higher rpm's and I bought 5 stock oil filters from eBay for $24 and they work good changed it every 4500-5 more towards 5000 when light sticks but the oil black black

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I wonder if they replace the blinker fluid on that deal

Markcal[QUOTED] and 1Shifter like this.
  18. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:33 PM
    ddaykpa

ddaykpa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brent
    SE Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM tacoma 4x4 DCLB trd
    n fab steps. redline hood struts, MATTGECKO bed lights, truxedo lo pro tonneau fab fours front and back bumpers old man emu 887 coils dakar rear springs ome rear sport shocks tint, removed rear seats, anytime driving light mod, anytime power inverter on. 2 ac plugs in cab, 4 constant power usb ports husyliner mats, airraid intake, fat matted floor and rear cab wall. hood deflector window deflectors, all in one flip key, painted interior plastics. trd pro wheels. rear molle panel.homemade trailer plug bracket. added Signal Stat 77-570 for rear cab area lighting. tacodane hoodlight kit Total chaos UCA. Ac Max mod
    Just turned 46 in nov. had two previous Tacomas that are still on the road neither had ever been to the dealer after i bought them. Never have paid someone else to change oil for me or taken the "free ones" this go around on a the 15. In my younger years I used to lie on a piece of cardboard on a rocky driveway in winter. Lucky now to live in TX and built a barn. As has been posted, it gives you a chance to look under the truck and and check things out. Lube the driveline and know that it's done the right way with the oil and filter that u want to use.
    The guy with the 400,000 mile post uses mobil1 and an oversized m1-209 filter. good enough for me.
    Did the same on the 1st Gen and when I pulled the valve covers off to replace the leaking gasket it was like new at 15 years old
    Congratulations on changing it yourself OP.

1Shifter likes this.
  19. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    1Shifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    I change my oil in my yard, parked across the ditch in front of my house. Yes I use a drain pan, the ditch gives me a foot or two of extra room. Bonus is that it pisses off the neighbor

spitdog and ddaykpa[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM
    ddaykpa

ddaykpa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brent
    SE Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM tacoma 4x4 DCLB trd
    n fab steps. redline hood struts, MATTGECKO bed lights, truxedo lo pro tonneau fab fours front and back bumpers old man emu 887 coils dakar rear springs ome rear sport shocks tint, removed rear seats, anytime driving light mod, anytime power inverter on. 2 ac plugs in cab, 4 constant power usb ports husyliner mats, airraid intake, fat matted floor and rear cab wall. hood deflector window deflectors, all in one flip key, painted interior plastics. trd pro wheels. rear molle panel.homemade trailer plug bracket. added Signal Stat 77-570 for rear cab area lighting. tacodane hoodlight kit Total chaos UCA. Ac Max mod
    To add to that is when ppl see the hood up and ask what's wrong with your truck....Nothing..that's the fuckong point. !

Aztex likes this.
To Top