1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decided to retrofit my headlights... Turned out badass!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by magneticwhite88, May 29, 2017.

1. May 29, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    e304-jpg.jpg

2. May 29, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks ill use that. Smfh! Thanks for the great info.....

3. Jun 2, 2017 at 5:14 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    (Sent this as a pm to another member, figured if anyone comes across it during their preparation for a retrofit it would help a bit.)

The only cutting involved is flushing out the back of your headlight shroud. I used a cutoff wheel and it worked perfect, but if you have a bench grinder that works well also. Search on youtube, there are a couple videos that show the process of "cutting" the shroud so it's super helpful.

I've always wanted to do this mod but I was hesitant, but the overall process was smooth and I love how it looks... The only issues I had were 1) when I put the headlight back together, the chrome bezel thats attached to the front part of the lens smudged the paint went I put it back together. It happened on each side, very slightly, but I'm a perfectionist so I notice it... 2) I used the headlight sealant from theretrofitsource, and on one side I used too much in one spot and it started to drip into the headlight housing after I baked and sealed it back together. Put a fair amount when you seal them up but don't stuff the crevice so full it will overflow once the headlight gets squeezed together. 3) When I wired up my lights, there was a wire on the 9006 harness for OEM headlight bulb. I had to slice it to the power wire for my headlight, and grounded the ground wire wherever its most convenient. At first only one headlight was working, so I tried switching around the ballast "igniters" I think they were called, pretty much a rectangular computer to power the new lights. After doing this both headlights were working... Not sure why that fixed it (I went around and made sure all the connections were good before switching the igniters), but I hope this helps you out if you decide to go through with it. You won't be disappointed

Products Discussed in

To Top