1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding between 2 6.5” sets

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ZMan2k2, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Mar 11, 2022 at 5:12 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 [OP] “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Okay guys and gals. I’m depending on your ears here. I want to upgrade from my current Kenwood KS 6x9 set, as the tax return cometh. However, I can’t really hear either set, unless I travel about 100 kms. My local guy sells one brand, but doesn’t carry what I’m looking at. So I’m relying on your ears and my research.

Set 1 — Morel Tempo Ultra 602 MKII. From research, smooth, laid back, good mid bass, not flat but not Tempo 692 upfront. Will fit in the door with no modification unlike the 692 which may or may not fit, depending on who you ask. I have heard a Morel Hybrid 62 set in 2-way active, but I will be running passive for the foreseeable future.

Set 2 — Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO. From reasearch, more neutral than Morels, slightly recessed mid bass. Tetolon tweeter more forward than Morel but can be tamed easily just like mid bass can be brought to life with a little power.

Until I can get the AudioControl LC-4.800, I will be using my current Kenwood EXcelon XR401.4 amp. Both will be run passive, at max RMS power. All tuning will be done with a Kenwood DMX906s head mostly listening to Spotify with some FLAC. I do like a slightly laidback sound, so not sure if the Morel’s might be a little too much. And I’ve never heard the Tetolon tweeter with the Hertz, although I did have a DEICI set in the past.

I know I’m overthinking.this, second guessing myself. I have thought of Focal, but honestly, from what I’ve read, they are more forward highs than I like.

If you’ve made it this far, grab a beer, you deserve it. :cheers: Opinions, suggestions, all welcome, I’ve only really started. Thanks.

tattooedsnake likes this.
  2. Mar 11, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    Ericd94

Ericd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 white trd sport double cab
    275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak, 5100's, 3 way active Morel system, custom dual 10 box by Marv, Method grid titanium wheels
    If you’re doing the tweeters in the stock location, don’t do the morels. They need to be on axis in the A pillar or sail panel. The mpk is a nice set. I’ve only heard them active. I think the audison voce is a better set than the Mille pro personally. Also take a look at the focal flax. If you’re running passive, I would get a set that has mid and tweeter attenuation on the crossover.

3. Mar 11, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Didn’t know that about Morels. On axis is better, okay. I was looking at the Audison Voce, but that is hard to get in Canada, and the specs are very similar to the MPKs. Are the Focals bright? I’m not one for bright tweeters, drives me nuts. Finally, agreed on the tweeter attenuation on the crossover.

4. Mar 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM
    Ericd94

Member:
    Vehicle:
    275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak, 5100's, 3 way active Morel system, custom dual 10 box by Marv, Method grid titanium wheels
    The morels are laid back, but imo sound perfect when on axis. They lack detail when firing towards the windshield. Audison voce are on ebay for 350$ shipped. Shouldn’t be a problem to Canada. Hertz can be bright, but can be tamed. That is with dsp tuning however. Focal flax are nice and the least bright sounding out of the all the focal comps.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Mar 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    My tweeters are in the door. I’m old school and rock an ‘06. :D Still off-axis, but closer. The Audison look good, I’m a little Leary of eBay though, been ripped off before. The Focals’ are around $1k CAD, I’m a poor man on disability. I’ll look into the Audison, thanks for the tips.

6. Mar 11, 2022 at 12:48 PM
    Ericd94

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also keep the amp. Invest in a helix dsp.

If you’re in the doors, morel tempos are not a bad option. I also have gotten all my stuff off eBay. Haven’t had bad luck yet. Knock on wood.

ZMan2k2[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 11, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Thank you. Your advice is appreciated.

8. Mar 11, 2022 at 8:24 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I have both. Like children, I love them both but they sound very different.

I drive the Hertz truck when I feel like listening at high volume. This is when they sound the best. At low volume they don’t have the same body and attack.

I drive the Audison truck when I want clear, spacious and detailed audio at low to moderate volume. They start to sound stressed at high volume.

Hertz is a fraternity keg party, Audison is wine and cheese. Done right they both sound excellent.

9. Mar 12, 2022 at 6:48 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    @dolbytone That’s a great description. Thank you for the comparison. If I do go that way, I’m going to have to check my listening habits. I’ve only got the truck, but do want good sound.

Any insights on the Morel? Didn’t you have the Tempo Ultra 692’s? Description of tonality if you did?

Thanks.

10. May 12, 2023 at 3:10 PM
    tattooedsnake

tattooedsnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    @dolbytone This is a great description of them both!! I read your install too.
    Sorry to thread jack--:p-- Looking for some opinions please.:cheers:

I am working on finalizing the plan for my 2010 DCSB audio overhaul and I was trying to decide between Hertz Cento and Audison Prima speakers. The ideal build is "Buy Once Cry Once" while staying in a realistic budget for true performance. I found a Youtube channel that had great speaker comparisons of Hertz cento with test mic and lots of different brands and $$ but no Audison. (Listen with headphones for accuracy) ALPINE R-S65C.2 & HERTZ CK 165 , Focal ISU165 vs Hertz CK 165 I liked the Big and Bold sound of the Hertz compared to the clean but smaller sound field of the other sets demoed. In some demo songs I feel the Hertz lacked enough high end tweeter but sometimes made up with it by providing body instead of brightness. Most all the others had a tweeter that I feel needed to be EQd down to balance it, just to much/to bright. (Focal, Alpine R, Infinity R) .
    I have heard Audison Prima series in store and really enjoyed their sound out of a blind test (Focal, Morel, Infinity,Alpine) . They were clean and powerful while having even frequency coverage. I don't remember how much power they were getting. I haven't heard the Hertz Cento yet in-store but have an idea of their sound design from many of the comparison vids and your details. Id love a side by side listen, Prima vs. Cento in store. I wont be running DSP from the amp but plan on installing the Alpine ILX- 507 headunit which has full range 13 band eq per channel and timing adjustment so I will have a decent level of control.

Where I sit now with the cart:
    HU-Alpine ILX-507
    Amp-Audison SR5.500 (5ch amp 75wx4 @4ohm + 550wx1@2ohm RMS)
    Sub- Hertz MPS 250 S2 @2ohm

Door speakers not finalized-
    Audison APK165 front/ APX6.5 rear
    Or
    Hertz CK165 Front/ CPX165 rear

Music library is EDM, Trance, House, Rock, metal. Wife and I will definitely be having a rave while on the highway at high volume, but sometimes we want similar sounds just as a chill background while driving. A defined hi-hat is nice but there is a level of "too bright" which is what I found was the case with other brands compared to Hertz when I listened to the stream test. The cost difference is $50 more to do upper level Hertz vs tier 1 Audison so that isn't an issue. I just cant spend the money on Mille pro or Voce and do the rest of the install and sound dampening. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  11. May 12, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    Ericd94

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn’t get anything hertz unless stepping up to the Mille pro line. And for audison, the voce line. The voce are about 350$ on eBay(yes they are legit). I would take a look at the morel tempo ultra. They will work good for your application with the tweets in the door panel. Another option would be the Alpine. Type r’s. They are about 180$ right now on eBay(clearance since the new generation is out). Those would be the best bang for the buck. Out of all 3 I listed , the audison voce is the most detailed. Morel being the most laid back. If you’re worried about possibly being bright. Go with tempo ultra, you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  12. May 13, 2023 at 5:42 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I mostly agree with above. For tweeters I prefer the 1”+ cloth dome variety. Any set with plastic diaphragms, I stay away from. Hence my preference for the AV 1.1 and the Mille PRO tweeters. For front midbass I’m a fan of the Prima 6x9.

I also don’t think 75W is enough power for any of this. You need 100+ watts (passive), and ideally active with 100+ for the midbass and another 50+ for the tweeters mentioned IMO.

tattooedsnake likes this.
  13. May 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM
    tattooedsnake

tattooedsnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    I understand what you mean about not enough power, I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case. I love the idea of running a 5Ch amp in my truck to take up as little space as possible. The last system I built 20yrs ago was an Alpine R system with 5ch amp lol. I looked at the difference of doing a 2 amp system also. $$$ lol

Products Discussed in

To Top