1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding between 2 new chainsaws -gimme your opinion

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by markmizzou, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Oct 27, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    This is why I picked the echo over the stihl.

2. Oct 27, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    theturbodog

theturbodog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Not exactly the comparison you were looking for, but I have a few year old MS260 with 20" bar and 3/8 chain. I've never run a 300 sized saw because I have an old 044 for anything big. What I really like about the 260 sized saws for what I do is the weight. They're just easier to carry around and use all day walking around. It pulls a 20" chain well, but if you plan on burying all 20" in hardwood constantly you are probably going to be unhappy or very patient. I also throw a 14" bar on it for wheeling trips since it's pretty compact that way. Another factor for me when I got the 260 was it's popularity. A TON of people run(or want to run) the 260 so if you had to there would be a line of people waiting to buy it off you.

3. Oct 27, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    markmizzou

markmizzou [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    I have and use 3 saws - the Stihl 021 /16", the Stihl 170 /14", and the new one - TBD
    After going out to a couple of dealers and holding both of my choices - I am really leaning towards the 261 with a 20 inch bar and the bigger 3/8th chain on it. The 2 "convenient" dealers would upcharge me for the bigger bar/chain swap, but my great dealer "out in the woods" said no charge to do the switch. All of the dealers said the swap to the bigger chain would not affect the warranty.
    After what I got for my used 310 and the country dealer's great price , I would be getting the new MS 261 C-M for around $280 (inc taxes)
    BTW -- if anyone wants to effectively carry a new chain on your saw everytime you go to cut --get the new 3 file Stihl chain filing guide.
    These things are the greatest thing to come along in the 35+ years I have been cutting firewood.
    Touch-up your chains after or right before each you go out to cut and it is really like putting on a new chain. I had gotten fairly good with sharpening the cutter teeth, but I struggled with getting the depth guides just right (as most people do).
    This tool does it just right. One drawback - if you consider it one - you need a a way to clamp your bar down while sharpening - bench vice in the shop or a inexpensive "stump vice" for out in the woods.

4. Oct 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Jeremy -- I don't know what wood you are cutting over in that fantasticly beautiful state you live in, but here in Mo. All of the professional firewood cutters I have spoken to (one cuts 500 -yes! 500 cords a year). these guys said they use Stihls -- 2 of the three said they switched brands for a while but came back to stihls.
    Yes I agree the Stihl's can be a bit finicky (especially in cold weather) to start. I have found once you get used to the way they start they tend to be hard to beat. I have one small engine that always start on the first pull -my Honda 4 stroke CV190 lawn mower. Actually my Briggs 9 hp on the splitter will sometimes do the one pull thing if you get to the choke lever in time - otherwise the second pull always does it.
    PS I would love to get back to Hi sometime -- we spent a week on Maui on 04 to help my oldest daughter and hubby celebrate their 10th anniv.

5. Oct 27, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    I’ll jump in here.

I carry a 460 around about 90 days a year for work.

At home I have a 290, 362, and 440. It’s a good compliment and I feel like each saw has its own purpose.

For your specific use I would say go with the MS 362 but I would recommend staying away from any of the Q or C designators. Just stick to the straight 362.

In my experience the C models are a real headache. I personally don’t want a computer chip in my chainsaw. The Q model quick stop function is for flatlanders. It’s just another nanny function that will be a pain to replace when it breaks.

6. Oct 27, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    No Q,s for me - I will agree -- the M's ?? I am really leaning that way as far as the 362 -- I like it a lot -- but picking up the the 2 -(362 and the 261 -- I liked the 261's weight and feel -even if it has a little bit less power. The 362 is a bigger stronger saw, and as much as it sounds like you use saws probably better for you -- me? -I think the 261 C-M is the way I am headed. At 73 - Hell, most people my age would not touch any saw, so I think a "scale-down" in size and weight will be nice. I am looking forward to having a compression release on those cold mornings when I forget and leave the saw in the unheated part of my garage.
    Early on with the C-M models they had some problems -- all of my dealers say this -- they have them worked out by now --thats why I did not even consider a used saw in these models. there was even a recall from Stihl (never heard of a chain saw recall before)

T-yoda likes this.
  7. Oct 27, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    T-yoda

T-yoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Eastern pa
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDORDCLB mgm
    265-75-16 BFG AT, firestone riderites
    I was in the same predicament as you. My choices were between the 261 and the husky 550xp mark2.

I have first had experience with the 550 as my brother has one and I can say, WOW what a saw. Both saws have the same specs but I finally ended up ordering the husky. Soon to come in even though the 261 was sitting on the shelf! They both were 599.00 . I ordered mine with the 20” bar.
    Good luck with your decision

8. Oct 27, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    This this and this. Man speaks the truth

9. Oct 27, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    T-yoda

T-yoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Eastern pa
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDORDCLB mgm
    I can see why you don’t want a computer controlled carb BUT we have about 10 gallons through my brothers husky 550 with the “AutoTune” and zero problems... gas/oil and a sharp chain with good tension and off you go.

markmizzou[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 27, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING- a sharp chain on whatever brand you pick up -hell years ago my ity-bitty green Poulan would cut like a knife in hot butter -WITH a sharp chain. Plus the right tension. Loose chains are the single hardest thing on the saw/bars, ask any reputable shop. of course they love it --they sell/replace more worn out/burned bars that way.

T-yoda[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    T-yoda

T-yoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Eastern pa
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDORDCLB mgm
    “Snap-tight “ is how we do it. Iv seen so many people throw chains off.... silly people running saws. Iv started purchasing my saws and parts from local ace hardware store. They actually carry and service both Stihl and husqvarna. One shop and stop. Very convenient and have lots of parts in stock:thumbsup:

12. Oct 27, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    That's great and may you never have an issue. However IF you do have a problem and its computer related guess what? You ain't fixing it in the field yourself, you're taking it to a trained mechanic whose going to charge you $100 just too look at it and let's hope like most shops they aren't 3-4 weeks out and you're down a piece of machinery. I just last week picked up a new MS461 basic. Sure I could have gone with the C and the M but I like to know I can work on my saw and have it running in usually a few minutes. Maybe I'm old school but when you're chainsaw starts throwing codes then what? You better have back up or your job is done. Some things are just better left simple and in my opinion why change what has been working flawlessly for decades.

Just like vehicles, the more complicated they get the more problems inevitably arise.

13. Oct 27, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    T-yoda

T-yoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Eastern pa
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDORDCLB mgm
    Agreed with the “unable to repair in the field” comment but we’re just home owners that cut/split wood and give to the needy as you could say. Iv heard of Ecu updates as well on some of the “AutoTune” saws.... we’ll see how it goes.

Slick Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 27, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    Cedar, Douglas fur, Maple. Had a stihl 210 and didn’t like it very much. Most pros use the Stihl brand but use them everyday. Recently moved to Oregon and this was the advice a retired logger gave me. If you use it everyday grab a stihl if you use it once or twice a month grab an echo.
    In Hawai’i I had the stihl 210 and didn’t use it much, but I used it. I had to cut Keawe trees down with it(extremely hard wood) palm trees(soft), milo, koa(medium), mango and a few more.
    I’m from Oahu but have family on Maui and big island. I get home sick every once in awhile but love the mainland so far. Maui is a beautiful island I hope you get to go back and if you have time visit Kauai.

15. Oct 27, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I know what a cord is, lol. Cut plenty of them.
    I wasn’t suggesting to buy an electric, I was just stating my opinion on them based on the experience I’ve had with them. I personally don’t own one, I’d rather use the MS180 it plain out preformed the Oregon saw.

Anyway, buy what ever saw you like.
    If one feels better to you and will will do what you need, buy it.

16. Oct 27, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    DUCKSURF

DUCKSURF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JOE
    Wayne PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TACOMA DC SUPER WHITE
    Love my Husky 18". Bought last year Black Friday.

T-yoda likes this.
  17. Oct 27, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Is Kauai the town where they have the Luau (sp?) thart is combined with the food and all the drinks (including booze) drinks?
    If so that was one of the best evenings I have ever experienced.

18. Oct 27, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    Kauai is another of the outer islands. It’s just really laid back and not as populated but super beautiful.

19. Oct 27, 2020 at 5:44 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Totally understand , I was just making a point about how much wood I cut. Its amazing though how many can't correctly "define " a cord of wood!
    I picked up a new 180 for my Son while I was down at my country dealer, the same place where my new saw will come from. Seems like a bit more power than my inherited 170.
    Back to the point, thanks for giving me your input and thanks to all that answered my question. T-World has a wide variety of people who have a whole bunch of experience in many things.

T-yoda and TnShooter[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Oct 27, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    How many tensioners has that saw blown through?

I’ve run 441C’s from 500’ - 10,800’ for days at a time...until they don’t want to go no mo’. Paperweights IMO but to each their own.

Bring this thread back from the dead in 10 years and we’ll compare.

Since 2006 the MS 290, MS 362 (2012) and MS 440 (2007) have been through 2 spark plugs, a handful of pull cords, sprockets, needle bearings & bar nuts. None of them have ever been to the “shop”.

Products Discussed in

To Top