1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding on leaf springs... '16 Taco, Icon 2.0 rear shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 0210, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Oct 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM

0210 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    I've got an ICON Stage 4 suspension setup right now, including the progressive add-a-leaf. This comes with the 2.0 rear shocks w/ remote reservoirs (part number 56503R). ICON's site does not specify shock travel length.

My daily "extra" weight is as follows:

- canopy (~150-170lbs)
    - bed slide (~80-100lbs)
    - misc gear (~40lbs)
    - sliders (~80lbs)
    - aux batteries (~60lbs)

Soon to come is another drawer setup that'll be in the 100-150lb range. Also just ordered a PrInSu canopy rack (40-50lbs?). My camping gear will vary between another 100-250lbs, plus 80lb dog.

The current setup gave me 1 7/8" of lift in the rear (the front coilovers were adjusted to match). I would like that to go up to 3", while keeping the front height as-is, for a roughly 1" rake.

I'm liking what I'm reading about the All Pro Standard and Expedition leaf springs. I think the Expedition springs would be a good match for my needs, but I'm not sure if my rear shocks have the necessary travel.

I came across an older thread here that suggested my shocks are too short for the Standard all-pro leaf pack, much less the Expedition one. Then again, Headstrong Off-Road's description for my shocks says they can handle up to 3" of lift (which is what those leaf packs would provide), but this seems to be listed under the 2nd gen products, so I don't know whether that's still true for the 3rd gen, or whether the max lift is less.

I'm open to going with Dakars, or getting custom leafs made, too. Hoping to avoid having to get new rear shocks to accommodate a higher lift.

Any thoughts?

Also, I'm planning on swapping out the front coilovers' springs for a 1" longer version (while keeping the same weight rating of 650lbs) to decrease the preload while keeping the same 1 7/8" lift. Don't think that'll affect the rear leaf discussion, but thought I'd throw it in just in case.

2. Oct 28, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    All Pro got back to me and told me that to use their Expedition leaf pack, rear shocks should have between 9.1" and 9.6" of travel. Anyone know what the travel is for the ICON 56503R shocks I mentioned above? I can't get a reply from ICON themselves.

3. Oct 28, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Okay, finally got the numbers from ICON:

Extended: 24.35"
    Collapsed: 14.225"

Travel: 10.125", which is longer than the 9.1"-9.6" range desired for the leaf packs.

Anyone know what this combination/mis-match will result in, as far as ride and capability goes? All Pro tell me the shocks may bottom out, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that. If the shocks have more travel than the leaf pack, shouldn't it be the leaf pack that reaches its max capability first?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    CharlieCafe likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wherever the wind blows
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4 - MGM
    Plethora of "useless" shit
    At compression the shocks will bottom out before your bumps. So you would just need to adjust your bumps to ensure you are at full bump before the shock is at full compression. At droop the springs will be the limiter which is preferred so you don't overextend your shocks.

5. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. That makes sense - thank you.

So I'd need rear bumpstops to compensate for the 0.525" difference between the leaf pack's max desired travel, and my shocks' range. I could grab something like this along with their bumpstop spacers, or perhaps just the spacers (if they'll fit on OEM bumpstops)? I could stack one 3/8" spacer with another 1/4", for a total of 0.625", which would lower my rear shocks' travel to 9.5" - right in the desired range for the leaf pack.

Am I missing anything?

CharlieCafe[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:24 PM
    CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wherever the wind blows
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4 - MGM
    Plethora of "useless" shit
    I have the wheelers bumps on mine, but haven't spaced them yet. From what I have read, since every truck is a little different, you should do something along the lines of removing the shocks and finding a way to take it to full bump. Then measure the distance from bottom to top shock mount and adjust your bumps until that distance is slightly more than your collapsed shock.

Edit: I'm running the same shocks with AP standard leaf springs so I really need to do this exercise and get my bumps right

0210[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. Sounds like I need to find a shop w/ a forklift. Or maybe my Hi-Lift jack can do the trick... In any case, simple enough of a solution, so now I'm confident enough to order the expedition leafs (when they become available in a month)! Thanks for your help.

CharlieCafe[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 1, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    jwizzmasterwet

jwizzmasterwet 2019 TRD OR Cavalry Blue #SUPERCHARGED #METALAF

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD Off-Road #SUPERCHARGED
    INSTAGRAM: JWIZZMASTERWET #SUPERCHARGED #METALAF #HARAMBE PERFORMANCE/FUNCTIONAL UPGRADES: -URD Supercharger -Sound Deadened cabin with Noico Solutions 80mil -Skar Audio full pro-audio setup (2xtweeters, 4xmids, 3x10inSUB) SUSPENSION/LIFT/TIRES: -ICON Stage 4 (650lb coils) -ICON RXT Leaf Pack (Option 3), -285/65/18 BFG KO2 FUNCTIONAL(eye candy?): -Rave OffRoad roof rack -Rave OffRoad 43in light bar (amber + white) -Rigid led PODs (x4) (mounted along roof rack) -Westin Side Steps -BakFlip tri-fold tonneau cover -VOODOO Fabrications hi-rise crossbars -Pelican Case loaded with recovery gear(mounted to roof rack) -Smittybilt gen 2 overlander tent -Smittybilt recovery boards -HI-Lift Jack COSMETIC AND NON-PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: -Custom front grill -Bumper Shellz rear bumber cover -Meso Customs full interior chrome delete -Interior of cabin lined with sound deadening material (Noico Solutions 80mil) -Rear seat delete and custom shelf (home-made) AUDIO (SKAR AUDIO): -2x pro audio tweeters, 4x pro audio mids, 3x 10in subwoofers (SKAR AUDIO) -1x RP-1200 amplifier (mids), 1x RP-2000 amplifier (subs), 1x SK-400 amplifier (tweeters) (SKAR AUDIO) -Audio crossover
    I Know this is an old thread, but I have an ICON Stage 4 and am about to upgrade from the 13in 650lb coils to the 14in 700lb coils, and from the 1.5in AAL to the ICON RXT leaf pack.

I also have the 2.0 rear shocks with remote reserviors (PN: 56503R). Could you send a pic of the setup after the new leaf pack and what you would recommend with the rear shocks? What was your solution and outcome?

Products Discussed in

To Top