1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Taco_y_Cerveza, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Jun 10, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Taco_y_Cerveza [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Taco TRD Off-Road
    Icon coilovers front and reservoirs rear, Icon wheels, OME Leaf Pack, MobTown Sliders, 1.5" spacers.
    Gents, I have been browsing the forum for a long time, but just joined recently. I thought it might be better to express my questions here, straight-away, rather than try to piece together info from thread after thread. There is so much info on TW that, for me, it can be overwhelming. For those of you that have been around for a long time, you will probably be rolling your eyes at me bringing up the 'same old shit.' I apologize in advance for that.

I am days away from purchasing a 2017 Taco, and I am about 95% certain that I will be in a TRD Off-Road DC, long bed, w/ V6 and 6-speed A/T. The other 5% is the possibility of buying the TRD Pro (is it worth the additional expense?). My use will be mostly city and highway, boat ramps, and occasional established trails (maybe 1-2x / mo.) for camping and exploring, nationwide. I will occasionally be towing a boat in hot weather, that weighs up to 3,000lbs, and will probably start in the southeast (hot and flat climate - GA/FL), and end up in a few years in mountains (CO). I am currently in Alaska, but will only be here for a few more months.

I am looking to do a 2-3" suspension lift, wheels and tires (probably 275/85), and keep the ride as comfortable as (or even better than) stock. Cost is not a major issue, but I would like to avoid issues w/ brake lines, suspension component wear, cutting on the truck body, rubbing of tires, etc. I just want what 'works.' A simple, short statement of what kits or components front and rear will get me there, are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

DustStorm4x4 and Lord Helmet like this.
  2. Jun 10, 2017 at 8:59 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    The 3rd gen TRD OR you selected is a great setup to start from. Not sure if you wanted the 4x2 or 4x4. It wasn't mention in your post. For towing a boat and pulling out of a boat ramp I would recommend a 4x4.

2-3" lift you have many choices and since you said cost isn't a issues I'd recommend in my personal opinion in this order: King 2.5" coilovers, Fox or ADS 2.5" coilovers, Icon coilovers for the front. The rears again... King, Fox/ADS, or Icon. A good leaf pack from OME Dakers, Deavers, or All Pro have many different choices. Since you're towing I recommend the Dakers or All Pro for towing purposes. Deaver is a good choice if you don't tow.

Those choices above are the premium stuff and worth every penny if you use your truck a lot off road.

However if you just want them as stock and comfortable as stock Bilstein 5100s are great, OME are great too! You can just add a 3 piece AAL from Wheeler's, Icon, or Headstrong who make quality 3 piece AAL :thumbsup:

I have Fox 2.5" coilovers with resi aka reservoirs in the front, Fox 2.0" with resi in the back, Headstrong 3 piece AAL and All Pro U-bolt flip kit with Wheeler's bumpstop front and back. I love this setup but I'm upgrading to Kings all around this summer so you see my bias :D

Hope this helps you out a little bit.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2017 at 1:31 AM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
    Icon coilovers front and reservoirs rear, Icon wheels, OME Leaf Pack, MobTown Sliders, 1.5" spacers.
    That's a huge help, really. Thank you greatly for the time to inform me. There is a lot of great information there, but I am also kinda confused. To clarify, I will definitely be in a 4x4. If I use the shocks you mentioned, what is providing the lift? I'm not 'smart' w/ suspension systems. When you say 2.5" coilovers, does that mean I am getting 2.5" of lift out of them? If so, I will do the King or Fox shocks front and rear, and 2" AAL (from probably OME Dakar for towing), and call it good. Shit....still have a couple of questions. Going to PM you w/ my phone number. A short talk would answer waaaay faster. Thanks again.

4. Jun 11, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    No problem, that's what TW members are here for :thumbsup:

The coil springs and leaf springs are what gives you the lift. When I say 2.5" it's in reference to the size of the shock body. You'll be fine with either choices of King or Fox shocks with 2" AAL It would be better with a full leaf pack for towing IMO and better ride quality down the road. Hope that helps. Sorry just say your PM haha.

5. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:02 AM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
    That's a huge help. So, based on your guidance, here is what I am thinking. Please see the links below. I believe this is basically what you are running. This should give me plenty of room for 275/85 tires. Again, I will rarely be off-road, but will hit established trails occasionally, and want to be able to tow a light boat/trailer. Anything I am missing? I don't think I will need the reservoirs (but they are cool as hell). Do I need brake lines, UCA's, or any other mods, or will this stuff get the job done?

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?...16-2005&position=Front&m=truck&p=9&ref=filter

https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyo...5huBVi9bxJnTlogd5sRwXi3AAOH48PIi93hoCB5Pw_wcB

Thanks, man. This info is a HUGE HELP!!! Finally, I am a retired US Army Infantry First Sergeant. How do I get the US Army crest on my profile (like you have the USMC)?

Lord Helmet and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  6. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:13 AM
    Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    If you click the "You" button on the top right, it'll take you to your profile. Scroll down where it says "Civil or Military Service" and you can select your branch.

On a different note... I'm not sure if the 2017s are different, but I run 285/70/17s on my Fox midtravel setup and get some slight rubbage.

@Lord Helmet - Any reason you are moving to Kings? From what I was told, Kings/Icon/Fox are more or less the same? Thanks!

7. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:23 AM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
    Thank you.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  8. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:24 AM
    Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    No problem, and good luck on your purchase. Post pics when you get it!

9. Jun 12, 2017 at 3:40 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    I'd say buying a Pro is worthless since the only major upgrade from the Off-road is the shocks, and you're already planning to rip those out and replace them.

@HeadStrong Off-Road will set you in the right direction with good advice, good pricing, and free shipping. :)

As with your other questions, I'm not 100% sure if you need brake lines with that sized lift. Some will say you need them, others will say they're not necessary. It may be a trial and error type of thing, but Marie from Headstrong might know.

As far with UCAs, again, you might need them, you might not. Usually you have to get them when your overall lift is over 2.5"s but some members retain a good alignment without them. Every truck is different.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Congrats on your future purchase. Welcome to TW :wave:

10. Jun 12, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    More of a preference and have had a chance to ride in them. The king ride a lot better then the foxes. I could revalve them but I don't mind having two set of adjustable coilovers suspension Just in case one blows out and I need a replacement.

11. Jun 12, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
  12. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Whatever you need just let us know :)

13. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Thank you so much @DustStorm4x4 :dancingbacon:

14. Jun 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pros are really nice man. You get a
    Lot of goodies you won't get elsewhere, but that being said, if you're going to modify the suspension, an OR will definitely suit your needs. However, if cost isn't that much of an issue, hell yes, buy the pro, rip out the suspension, put what you want on it, sell the OEM stuff (or keep it
    If you're going to resell) and have a damn good time with it.

Taco_y_Cerveza[OP] likes this.
  15. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Jon. Hell, I guess if I am going to build up the suspension with a lift (like I absolutely will), the Off-Road just makes sense. Thank you, and thank everyone who provided answers to me, here. I could not have made the right choice without your guidance. Can't wait to put this truck together. Will post pics as I go through the process.

16. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Lots of good people on TW to help you out :thumbsup:

Taco_y_Cerveza[OP] likes this.
  17. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    Taco_y_Cerveza

Member:
    Brunswick, GA.
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, and it started with you, Nick. Thanks, again. Raa!

Lord Helmet likes this.
  18. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    NO problem! :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top