1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deck building

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Spare Parts, May 19, 2019.

1. May 19, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
    I forget where you are in southern maine? i have a few scattered weekday days to help brainstorm and help frame it out if you want/need?

I am in portsmouth NH

2. May 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    ToolPac

ToolPac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Show Low, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, 1998 TRD
    I understand you'd rather work around it and it makes sense but at the very least I'd consult with a licensed contractor who's familiar with codes. Just so you don't run into problems later on when you want to sell. Someone could have you bring things up to code or deduct the costs to do so from the price.

3. May 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    If ever
    im in Saco, and coach middle school baseball till 2nd week in June. Then Baberuth baseball. But am definitely open to some framing help.
    My brother is also drawing up some thoughts. Once I see what his plan is, that will help. I’ll draw up what I am thinking and post it up shortly.

bajatacoguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    bajatacoguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
    That’s right.. I had ask you about coaching before. I want to get into coaching and think I asked you about it in the past.

Feel free to give a shout out when your ready to roll. I have Tools... Lol

5. May 19, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I’ll pm you. I have some tools, including a chopsaw on loan. Crappy table saw and what not.

6. May 19, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    fathomblue

fathomblue I used to be disgusted; now I'm just amused.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Eastern Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue 2019 DCSB SR5 4x4

Whaaa!? You mean just toe nailing and bolting it over the siding with no flashing or caulking is a bad thing? :rolleyes:

Yep, that's how it was done on my house! Pic was taken while I was in the process of tearing it off to rebuild it properly. It was a miracle only the siding was rotted and not the under lying framing.

wilcam47 and 23Skidoo[QUOTED] like this.
  7. May 19, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I agree. That whole set up is awkward. As it is now, even if you come up with some type of solution for the bulkhead, you still have a sliding door that has half a deck under it. I'm looking at that set up, and thinking it was poor planning.

Not trying to offend, just giving an honest opinion.

Maybe ditch the sliding door, and entry altogether?

In either case, In think you should re-think that whole layout, and come up with a different plan before going any further.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. May 19, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Slider is there, just replaced that and rebuilt the deck that was there. I’ll look for old photos. I didn’t like the large platform I had to lift before, so the plan is to improve that part.

9. May 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    ChainsawCharlie

ChainsawCharlie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    New Hamster
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    3 Cans of Plasti Dip, Rain-X 2 in 1 all season wiper fluid, "SAWDUST IS MAN GLITTER" sticker, Mobtown rear bumper, Pioneer AVH 2440NEX
    I would do it the same as before but frame it with square tube steel. You could even rig up a hydraulic piston to open and close it.

Spare Parts[OP] likes this.
  10. May 19, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the thoughts, if I had been smart enough, I would have planned it out better, but too late I didn’t. I had seen a few of the ideas shared and if I was more sure of skills I might have taken on one of the better designs. I had to tear it apart as there was some safety concerns that I couldn’t address and the slider was in need of replacement.

My hope is to use up the lumber I have here currently. When it was all bought, the plan has been to put hinged doors over the bulkhead. It would have been completed by now, had we not had a major health battle on our side and him one on his wife’s side.

D893B39C-1E0F-48C9-BC57-3391E0BBE9D2.jpg

The half door on the right will be hinged to the side of the landing. But how do I do that? Currently there is a slight over hang from the deck boards.

9B0F8A70-CADA-4F16-A6CE-FED7FA0EAEA8.jpg

I have been thinking I would add a board to the side

image.jpg

But how will that work with the hinge?

ABF3C6B3-9C10-4C41-B22C-02D52688AF70.jpg

Can I hide it completely? How much space do I need between the deck boards? Is it better for the hinge to be exposed?

D893B39C-1E0F-48C9-BC57-3391E0BBE9D2.jpg
    And then on the left side it would be hinged to the deck. I haven’t even begun to work that out yet, but the old setup was hinged to the old deck.

Somebody mentioned running some lumber under that can be removed, I like that idea, as the old setup sagged and was getting unsafe to cross.

My concerns with this plan are the doors meeting in the middle and not bowing down. And making sure they are even, with there only being a step down from the platform to the deck, not one in the middle.

11. May 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    TC_Mic

TC_Mic Well-Known Member

Member:
    State of confusion, aka Flori-duh
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky 2x4 Limited
    AMP Powerstep, UC Flex, bed lights, Opt7 Tailgate bar, black tailgate lettering Pending: re-configure tail light,s custom storage pocket bags, pinch weld painting, blackout badges, ......
    Option #1
    Build it the same height as the current landing.
    Use a large shoulder bolt, or some sort of bearing plate like a Murphy bed hinge, as the pivot point near the top of the beam perpendicular to the house.
    Across the house edge of the "Pivot deck" use the lumber on the flat rather than edge. The remainder are set normally.
    At the yard side, plant a post for each corner and build a stair runner type of kickstand on another shoulder bolt. So as you lift the outer edge of teh deck the "kickstand drops by gravity and catches on the top edge of the post by virtue of the angle cuts, like a ratchet.
    Then you can raise the outer door of the basement and do what you need to do.
    Lower the deck by pushing it up and swinging the kickstands in and under the runners.
    On the lower deck build a step (if needed) between the door level deck and the lower deck. This can house the shoulder bolt if needed. IF no step is needed, laminate a piece of lumber along the edge after setting he shoulder bolt/pivot assembly into it.
    For added support you can lay stops under the pivot deck attached to the runners on each side and/or posts outside the door but under the deck for it to land on. ​

Option #2
    One more option is to mount wheels on the edge at the lower deck and another set at the opposite corner that run parallel to the wall.
    IF the deck section is too heavy for 4 wheels you can add more as needed along the length of the runners.
    Add a ledge made of lumber to hold the deck up along the house. This could be held on the posts via pins so it is easily removed for access.
    Put a flat length of lumber on top of posts.
    Now the deck section over the door can be rolled out of the way like a drawer, then rolled back when access is not needed.
    Use a couple slide bolts on the end by the lower deck to lock it in place so it does not roll unless desired.​

Just a couple alternative methods.

Good luck!!

12. May 20, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

13. May 20, 2019 at 2:50 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    For under the doors to prevent sagging/bowing. Couldn't you cut a notch/ channel for a 2x4 to slide/set in. Kinda like loose skeleton framing. Open doors, remove 2x4's and descend.
    I am no carpenter either just throwing ideas against the wall.

14. May 20, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Not sure yet, but ya something like that hopefully will work.

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    wood714

wood714 Got any Quaaludes?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 V6 SR5
    You had me most confused with the bulkhead thing...kept thinking were's the boat.

Those are cellar doors!

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Exterior-Doors-Cellar-Doors/N-5yc1vZc5ib

16. May 21, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
  17. Jun 18, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Made progress today

290AC0A1-BDB7-4001-ACF6-3944C7B79CB0.jpg FE5211E8-2457-4CCF-B8D5-C66E292D04C4.jpg

Thanks @bajatacoguy it was great how encouraged and taught my son. He bragged later about what he did.

tcjacado, 23Skidoo and bucktales like this.
  18. Jun 18, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    bajatacoguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco

That’s great.. I was happy to lend a hand. Randy had a plan and it worked well.

Liam is a very polite kid who is not afraid to learn which is great to see this day and age.

Good luck and do not be scared to ask if you need a hand with the railings.

Be Safe

StayinStock, Fitz235, 916carl and 2 others like this.
  19. Jun 18, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    mallcrawler

mallcrawler Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey OP this thread is lit and ur deck is looking rad af. I'm not much of a carpenter, but I did some research and found some info that might be useful for you...

20. Jun 20, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Who is the dingbat that put a slider over a bulkhead... they need to get a beat down. Move the slider. It will suck but it will be cheaper than moving the bulkhead. Slightly.

Products Discussed in

To Top