1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decrease in Gas Milage Problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomabilly, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

The opposite, more dense gas means it has less air in it, so you'd need more air to get the same air/fuel ratio... :)

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
  3. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
  4. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    thrasher

thrasher Thrasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off road package
    Westin brush guard, K&N cold air intake, throttle body spacer, Flomaster Dual Exhaust, blacked out lights, custom wheels, tool box, 3" ProComp lift coming soon
    put a bottle of Gumout in there and fill it with 87 or 91 for a tank or too. Helped me. But i second a lot of the guys with winter being the same time i started getting bad gas mileage

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Gas price is government regulated here so its the same price at every station. People just learned from experience what stations have lower quality fuel.

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    I am having problems with gas as well.

2005 V6 60kmiles, I measure nearly every tank. I am now getting 14.5-15mpg.... I never got the before. I never got below 16.5mpg...... I use gas from 10 states, as I travel. Its not winter gas...its been doing it since summmer...There is something going on, not sure yet...

I changed spark plugs, cleaned filter KN.. I was using to much oil on filter and my MAF trt body was gunked. I cleaned each...still bad mpg.
    I have used super, reg, added gas crap to tank...still nothing....

She runs perfect.....but the gas mileage.... I am going to try a CAT cleaner, then try new MAF..

It has no check engine light and I have had it tested 2 x at auto store....

I will find it, will just take time, or the check light will come to lite! soon...I really hope...damn it its killing me
    I

7. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    tacomabilly

tacomabilly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alright, I've changed the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, and topped off all the fluids. My MPG's are still crap. Any more suggestions? The truck is running perfectly but I'm beginning to think that it might be something to do with the ECU; running rich and such. Usually the check engine light would come on for that. I'm going to reset the ECU one more time and see what that will do. Any other suggestions?

8. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    "RVP" mixed gas-Validated by a friend in Gas refining industry.... There is a difference in winter/summer gas....And also some cities, due to smog regulations, could have there own formulated blend.

How ever, my decrease in MPG is based over 7 years of driving my truck....and something is wrong...I will find it or I will be driving a 3/4 ton truck full size with room to move and tow, and with better MPG...

Reid Vapor Pressure
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reid vapor pressure (RVP) is a common measure of the volatility of gasoline. It is defined as the absolute vapor pressure exerted by a liquid at 100 °F (37.8 °C) as determined by the test method ASTM-D-323. The test method applies to volatile crude oil and volatile nonviscous petroleum liquids, except liquified petroleum gases.
    The matter of vapor pressure is important relating to the function and operation of gasoline powered, especially carbureted, vehicles. High levels of vaporization are desirable for winter starting and operation and lower levels are desirable in avoiding vapor lock during summer heat. Fuel cannot be pumped when there is vapor in the fuel line (summer) and winter starting will be more difficult when liquid gasoline in the combustion chambers has not vaporized. Thus, oil refineries manipulate the Reid Vapor Pressure seasonally specifically to maintain gasoline engine reliability.
    The Reid vapor pressure (RVP) differs slightly from the true vapor pressure (TVP) of a liquid due to small sample vaporization and the presence of water vapor and air in the confined space of the test equipment. That is, the RVP is the absolute vapor pressure and the TVP is the partial vapor pressure. Conversion between the two measures can be found here, from p. 7.1-54 onwards.

9. Feb 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Smell your exhaust fumes. If it is rich you can tell by pungent smell. Try chevron techron fuel system cleaner. Your truck is old..probably has blowby. But mpg should not decrease crazy.

10. Mar 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    97 Tacoma

97 Tacoma Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 4WD 2.7
    On the O2 sensor topic. My ride: 97 2.7L 4x4 Auto

The local Toyota dealer lists the sensors as different part numbers, priced differently.The Toyota Service Manual only lists different resistance values: Bank 1 Sensor 1: 5- 7 Ohms, Bank 1 Sensor 2: 11 - 16 Ohms.

The OEM (DENSO) lists them as the same part number for front and rear. E-mailed them about it and got no response. Are they the same unit or different?

Gas mileage has been bad lately (12 mpg city, with the understaning that MN runs a heavy winter blend). Did plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, themostat/coolant and it went to 14 mpg city. O2 sensors are original with 85,000 miles on them and probably should be replaced. Still need the clean the MAF.

Was going to order O2 sensors from Rock Auto (they list the front and rear as the same unit) but was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    JakeInGrayTacoma

JakeInGrayTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    SoCal Mtns
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 gray tacoma
    Get back up to snuff cuz it wasn't maintained. I got xm radio in it.
    Where is the fuel filter located? I haven't replaced the f.filter on my 95 tacoma yet, but have had it in mind. I got poor mileage friday and the check engine lite came on. I hooked it up to a diagnostic obd2 reader and got the code: P0170. Where's the o2 sensor?:confused:

12. Jul 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    tacomabilly

tacomabilly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MPG's are back to normal now. I replaced the fuel filter and tuned all of the lines/belts, reset the ECU and now everything seems to be working out. I put a new set of back tires on as well and averaged 25 MPG @65mph on the highway down to the beach. The deckplate mod is worth it, just takes some toying with the ECU to induce more air and not fuel into the system

13. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    I know what the problem was

Products Discussed in

To Top