1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dedicated winter tire set and TPMS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MY_SUV, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    MY_SUV

MY_SUV [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    I am looking at buying a set of dedicated winter tires, http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp and have a question. The tires and rims are $948 but to add the TPMS sensors it's another $288! That is an extra 30% cost that I really don't need.

So riddle me this, do I need to install the TPMS sensors on my winter set of tires? Would there be any effects beyond having a light on the dash?

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    No worries other than the light if you skip the sensors. You will need to pay a toyota dealer to reprogram the TPMS module too if you want them. Some members have indicated that parking in the garage night everynight prevents the light from turning on.

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    $2 tire pressure gauge and a little piece of tape over the light. If tirerack gives you crap about having a 2010, tell them you have a 2005 instead. The only Gen 2 Tacoma w/o TPMS.

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I have a winter and summer tire/wheel set & only use one set of tpms sensors.
    No issues for the past 3 seasons on the tacoma & before that on my tundra.

If you store the set of tires that have your sensors in the garage, the light will not even illuminate only on rare occassions.
    When I park overnight back near the sensors the light resets by itself.
    Once it even told me the wheels in storage were low on pressure lol
    FWIW my truck is an 2006 & have a sensor in the spare. I do not know if its changed in the newer model trucks who do not have a sensor in the spare.

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    If they are installing new sensors you will also have to have the dealer reset the computer to see them and that will add some serious cost, plus when you change back too the summer tires you will have to pay all over again to register the old sensors.

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    MY_SUV

MY_SUV [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    Thank you for the replies. So I think I will run the winter set without and just consider the light a reminder that I have winter tires on.

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    One small piece of black electrician's tape - you can't even see it because of the black background around the warning light. Just peel it off when you put your summer tires on. That's what I do in the Tacoma and the FJ Cruiser both.

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    jdben

jdben Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    VT
    Vehicle:
    11 4cyl automatic
    One thing to consider: I'm told that if your truck goes in for service at Toyota and the TPMS light is illuminated, the dealer is not allowed to let you drive away without fixing the problem. I don't know if this is true for service at independent garages. Also, in some states, the TPMS light check is part of the mandated safety inspection process. So if your light is on, but you don't need dealer service or an annual inspection sticker to deal with during the winter months, you're probably OK without sensors.

To Top