1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deep Scratches - Remedy?!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Free2Roam, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Free2Roam

Free2Roam [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    Hey Gang, The new owner of a 2009 TRD Sport in SBP - Love the truck, but the deep scratches are starting to drive me crazy. I have some deep scratches, detected by the fingernail when brushed across. I had the truck detailed and waxed with a color wax - this hid the scratches for a few weeks, but washed away pretty quickly.

I'm looking for any recommendations on the best way to fix these types of scratches. I'm willing to consider going as far as having it re-painted, but wasn't sure if any one has had any experience with this. Paint the entire truck, by panel or is it something maybe the Dealer can remedy.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated! TW has been an awesome resource!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Sorry, but the only way to get rid of them is a sand and paint. Everything else will just be a short term coverup. You will learn to deal with them once you find out how much a PROPER paint job will cost you.

3. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    CantSitStill

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    If you panel paint it, it will be super visible.

4. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    There are many steps you can take short of a "proper paint job." Think camoflauge. Your goal should be "better than it is now" rather than "back to factory perfect."

It depends on how deep the scratch is. All of these are general ideas, that require a light and careful touch and discrening eye to do well. It's EASY to make the problem WORSE rather than BETTER.

If it's shallow enough, You can use rubbing compound on a cotton wheel on a dremel to spot-buff the scratch along it's length. CAREFUL HERE. Once that's done, there will be swirl marks in the paint from the dremel. You need to go through a course of rubbing compound and polish by hand to get rid of them. Remember - all cutting compounds remove paint, and you don't want to remove too much.

If it's deeper, then touch up paint is the thing. Touch up paint comes in a tiny bottle with a "ball point pen" type applicator that's great for filling the scratch without putting down too much paint. If after the paint is dried and set it's a little "high" you can use tiny circles of 1000 grit sandpaper glued with rubber cement to the end of a regular #2 pencil to take down JUST the touch up paint to surface level, then finish off by rubbing out any stray sanding marks with polish.

There are lots of threads on TW on these techniques, and http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ has some great write ups and instructional videos posted up as well.

5. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    Buy a new tailgate?

6. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
  7. Nov 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    that crap^

8. Nov 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    If you can feel it with your fingernail, it's too deep to sand out. Not to mention the fact that Toyota doesn't use much clear on their vehicles anymore...

You'll have to get it repainted. Tailgate, and boxside won't cost an arm and a leg, and you will NOT have to repaint the entire truck. Just those two panels. Do you know a painter that can hook you up with a deal? If not, go to your local bodyshop, and ask what they'd charge... Honestly, I'd charge ya about $800 for that job, but I'm in Canada, and we charge more than most U.S. shops do.

Good luck!

9. Nov 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM
    CantSitStill

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Dadic, that one X scratch looks like its right in the middle of a door. If that paint code has a bunch of variants, he had better find a painter who can match well, plus that brand new clear on the door only is gonna shine like the sun between two other panels not touched. Even with a perfect color match I would buff the entire side of the truck.

10. Nov 26, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    Rsoxfan1

Rsoxfan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I use the dr colorchip. It works great but u can't expect 100%.

Products Discussed in

To Top