1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deep sounding exhaust with a soft tremble

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JPTheFrostySnowmann, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Nov 10, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    JPTheFrostySnowmann

JPTheFrostySnowmann [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TacoGang
    Catalytic converters going bad. Was thinking about putting a new exhaust on anyways. Any ideas ? Don’t want it too loud and looking for something that sounds deep and has a soft tremble

2. Nov 10, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I like the TRD catback. Not the cheapest option, but I was looking for something similar to your description when it was time for a replacement, and this checks the boxes.

3. Nov 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Why?
    Is it rusted out?

Your not gunna outflow the stock size easily, u can just have a muffler welded in place.

Save a ton of money

4. Jan 1, 2018 at 3:10 PM
    tattooedsnake

tattooedsnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    I previously had a flowmaster series 50 muffler 1in/2out running split exhaust that came out of the back of the truck. I loved that system and the sound but it rusted and I needed to make another exhaust. I got my exhaust built earlier this month using a Black widow 2.5" Venom 250 muffler and an aFe Stage-2 Si Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System Dry filter.

I really like the sound of the Venom 250 on my truck. The initial firing up sound is aggressive and loud enough but doesn't scare small children. It was 11F this morning while starting the truck in the video. With that said, your neighbors will definitely know when you have started your truck because the exhaust note travels inside the house easily. Just under normal idle while sitting at a light or in a drive through you wont notice it to much, but once you get on the throttle you and everyone around you will hear it. Getting onto the highway or passing anyone puts a smile on my face each and every time.

The biggest thing that I noticed with this muffler compared to the last system that was on my truck is how much "quieter" the Black widow muffler sounds inside the cab compared to outside the truck, It doesn't sound annoying or overly loud. It has some hum at 1500 rpm, so going 35 down the road you might have a little hum but not annoying drone. At 2k RPM while doing 70mph the exhaust is comfortably quiet and easy to drive, but once you bring the motor up to 3200 RPM she stops sounding like a Tacoma and makes me smile. The company Black widow is worth looking into to for sure.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Jan 1, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD

Curious why i was quoted.

I have no need for an exhaust change.

6. Jan 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    tattooedsnake

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    Good question. I have unquoted you from the previous post in order to quote you for this post. :thumbsup:

7. Jan 1, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    :rofl:

/quote :drunk:

8. Jan 8, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    tattooedsnake

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    Addon:

With the old exhaust I noticed that after 3k rpm you would loose the sound of the muffler because the intake sound would take over. After having the new exhaust for about a month now the biggest thing that I noticed is a pretty consistant power band and also engine sound. There is no drop of one sound for another. As the RPMs get higher the whole engine system sounds strong and happy.

Products Discussed in

To Top