1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deepest river crossing for my stock 2012?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDZILA, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jul 19, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    TRDZILA

TRDZILA [OP] MPS SUX

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian “”Keith””
    Kokomo Indiana
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 12 slightly lifted Tacoma
    Ripped off all four mudflaps. Scratches all down both sides 6112’s up front on 3rd notch 5100’s in back with Toytech 1” block Skids & sliders from SOS Concepts I got rid of the 1” block and put on Wheelers 1 1/2” progressive AAL. SPC UCA. Be sure your standing on the drivers side when reading the instructions! I swapped sides so many times that I can swap UCA’s in 15 minutes. I put in the 3/4” spacer to eliminate the Taco Lean, and just got my 4th alignment. Traded the OEM rims for 17” Sport rims and a bora bora 1” spacer. I got my Firestone 285/70/17 MT2’s. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid and hi-lift jack should be here Friday. Looking at bumpers, but I think they will wait for next year. So far I’m happy with my build. I’ve done it all myself, leading to a lot of cussing and frustration, but it’s all mine.
    In a couple weeks I'm taking my Tacoma on its 1st real excursion with some river crossings.
    With the intake in the wheel well, I'm a little nervous.
    What's the deepest that a stock Tacoma can go without making me have to go back to my dreaded Malibu while rebuilding my engine?

2. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:22 PM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    Pretty much the answer here

Thuguon2.7 and tcBob like this.
  3. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    TRDZILA

TRDZILA [OP] MPS SUX

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian “”Keith””
    Kokomo Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Ripped off all four mudflaps. Scratches all down both sides 6112’s up front on 3rd notch 5100’s in back with Toytech 1” block Skids & sliders from SOS Concepts I got rid of the 1” block and put on Wheelers 1 1/2” progressive AAL. SPC UCA. Be sure your standing on the drivers side when reading the instructions! I swapped sides so many times that I can swap UCA’s in 15 minutes. I put in the 3/4” spacer to eliminate the Taco Lean, and just got my 4th alignment. Traded the OEM rims for 17” Sport rims and a bora bora 1” spacer. I got my Firestone 285/70/17 MT2’s. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid and hi-lift jack should be here Friday. Looking at bumpers, but I think they will wait for next year. So far I’m happy with my build. I’ve done it all myself, leading to a lot of cussing and frustration, but it’s all mine.
    I was afraid of that. Wondering about disconnecting the intake tube under the hood.
    Has that been tried?

4. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    Fast Frank

Fast Frank Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Houston, Texas (The Woodlands)
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 OffRoad
    The stock Tacoma can do amazing things...

But it is not invincible.

Personally, I feel like the top of the tire is your marker. You should never completely submerge the tire.

The intake is just a few inches above that tire and it will suck water for sure if you go any deeper than the top of the tire.

"But how can I know how deep I am? I can't see the tire from the driver's seat!"

Correct.

When in doubt, back out! bending just one rod will have you buying/building a new motor and it's not gonna be cheap.

You know that fearless guy you wheel with that beats his truck like a Red Headed Step Child? Yeah- let him go first. If he makes it then you can too.

5. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    I've heard on the tundra page that someone hooked up their intake right under their plastic windshield guard (between the windshield and hood). Taking off some of the firewall the do it, Not sure how it'd handle though if you did the same thing in a Tacoma.

I'd just buy a snorkel, but once you reach your hood you're encountering electrical problems for sure.

TRDZILA[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    Braves95

Braves95 Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    Will a snorkel work?

7. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:50 PM
    Fast Frank

Fast Frank Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Houston, Texas (The Woodlands)
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 OffRoad
    My truck is my Daily Driver.

I don't want to drive around in a trashed-out beater. I will wheel my truck, but I don't just beat it trying to make it do more than it's supposed to.

I personally never got mine anywhere near the top of the tire.

Here's a pic of my '05 wheeling at Spring Creek here in Houston. As you can see, I'm definitely in the water but nowhere near bending rods.

tacomainwater_91acd8723f27979e734f1ad45d6d14cc7f73a6b9.jpg

If you look at it, you will see that being up to the top of the tire will have water well past the bottom seam of the door, and will most likely have your carpet soaked with muddy water and forever the color that you see there.

Not my thing. I like my truck being at least nice enough to ride around in, and usually quite a bit nicer than that!

When I said the top of the tire is my marker, I meant that I consider that to be the NEVER EXCEED NO MATTER WHAT LIMIT.

I'm very unlikely to go that deep.

8. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Just do the hood scoop mod:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/functional-hood-scoop.29737

[​IMG]

1st_rodeo, Lord Helmet and ChadsPride like this.
  9. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:04 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I once saw a Ford Explorer trac go across some deep water at a low point in the road. He started driving through and the water was almost up to the hood. Then he backed up, turned around and backed accross. At first I wondered what he was doing. Then as he drove through, it was obvious. The water was going over the top of the tailgate, but on the trailing end (front of the truck), it was only about 1/2 way up the grill, like the wake behind a boat. Although "smarter", still pretty dumb to go through that deep of water with a pretty nice truck.

TRDZILA[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM
    TRDZILA

TRDZILA [OP] MPS SUX

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian “”Keith””
    Kokomo Indiana
    Vehicle:
    tomwil[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    Installing mine tomorrow. SS172HP_1.jpg

12. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM
    TRDZILA

TRDZILA [OP] MPS SUX

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian “”Keith””
    Kokomo Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Are you going to stay with the stock intake?

Bebop likes this.
  13. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:46 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    I have the AFE. But gonna have to remove the front air dam off.

14. Jul 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I saw a military truck once that had a valve of some kind that you could switch between air from the snorkel and air from inside the cab. The problem with a snorkel is that if you're really spinning the tires in reverse to get unstuck, I bet you're slinging water right into the snorkel.

15. Jul 20, 2017 at 1:04 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    This. There are a lot of holes under the cab, and water will soak through surprisingly fast.
    I bought my snorkel mostly for sucking up clean air cause it gets pretty dusty where I wheel.

Not a big deal. I've driven my truck on the freeway in heavy Hawaiian downpours. A little bit of water isn't gonna hurt it.

Lord Helmet and TRDZILA[OP] like this.
  16. Jul 20, 2017 at 3:43 AM
    80schild

80schild Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Flori-Bama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport Access Cab
    With the alternator being at the bottom of the engine how does it not get flooded?

17. Jul 20, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JEFF
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT 6 SPEED
    Dobinsons suspension
    Don't forget to do the rear diff breather relocation.

You can also do what I see alot of the Aussies do. Wrap the whole front of the truck with a tarp.

18. Jul 20, 2017 at 4:14 AM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    My intake box was dry but I would not go any deeper than this

19. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    It does. Water crossings can severely shorten the life of an alternator.

If water comes up to the bottom of the door, I'm out. I have no interest in flooding my interior or bathing the electronics in my truck. And yes, I cross water fairly often. I walk out in it to test depth.

Also, snorkels are not for water. They're for dust.

20. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    I assume the OP has done the diff breather mod

tcjacado likes this.