1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deformed frame with winch...

Discussion in 'Armor' started by MartinDWhite, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Dec 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    MartinDWhite

MartinDWhite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    Relentless front and rear bumpers, Warn M-8000S Winch, Relentless RockSliders, bigger tires, bed cover RTT ... and more big changes in the works.
    I did a double line pull to get a 3500 dually dodge ram out of a ditch in the snow and deformed the frame endcaps where the bumper attaches. The bumper tipped forward because the center line of the winch line is above all the mounting points.

I want to add additional support from the top of the bumper to the frame or rock sliders, so that a hard winch pull does not cause this again. Has anyone done this? Any thought?

I fixed the bent frame endcaps by replacing the thin factory metal with 1/4 inch plate. (and because the thread is worthless without pictures...)

from this:
    [​IMG]

to this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Tocamo, BassAckwards and RacecarGuy like this.
  2. Dec 15, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    SOLD 2016 taco: premium technology and tow package. OV Tune 1.05; A.R.E. V Camper Shell; BRO grille & Tails; OEM bed mat; Xenon Depot HID headlight conversion; reflective gray tailgate letter inserts; GoPro session; Hondo radio knobs; K&N cold air intake, quicksand painted dash bezels, Subaru dash speakers, Kicker CS 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rear speakers; All LED interior lights and LED high-beam headlights. Redline elite hood shock props. prinsu cab and camper rack with rough country 30" light bar; (2) 8" rear facing “F.U.”rough country black LED lights; prinsu cargo basket kit, (2) prinsu load racks; roadshower 4; ARB 2500 awning and room kit; weather tech floor mats; carhart seat covers; ckma12 ARB air compressor under the hood; blue ridge overland gear air tools bag, tool bag, driver's seat molle. Rack mounted TRED 800 recovery treds and plano case. Rotopax water and fuelpax fuel canisters; Pelican cased first aid kit in bed. rockblokz mud flaps. ARB rear dif. breather. Stand alone fuse block. SSO bumper with 10k smittybilt synthetic line winch and factor55 ultrahook. Pro Eagle 2-Ton “The Beast” jack. OME lift kit: 90000 front shocks and 886 OME coils, Camburg 310078 UCA, 60091 rear shocks with light duty Dakar leafs. Good Year duratracs 285/75R16. Black vinyl inlays on factory OR wheels; RCI Steel Front/Trans/Trans Case/Rear Diff Skids, Alum A-Arm; Mobtown bolt-on sliders with scorpion bed coating; pelfreybilt aluminum fuel tank skid; Cali-Raised full length Molle storage LH & RH bed sides; Caliraised bedside reinforcements; HELLA sharptone horns; Optima blue-top battery with AJT machined red tiedown bracket. AJT quicksand key fob. Overland Bound member #6996
    Can’t really help but I’m curious what bumper you had if you are wiling to share. Glad to see you got it fixed and I would have done the same if for nothing more than the grin while pulling a 3500 out of a hole!

3. Dec 15, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    MartinDWhite

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    Relentless front and rear bumpers, Warn M-8000S Winch, Relentless RockSliders, bigger tires, bed cover RTT ... and more big changes in the works.
    Marbleyard likes this.
  4. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    MartinDWhite

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    Any thoughts on reinforcement, so this doesn't happen again?

Maybe a cable (or 5/8 rod) through the grill to the top inside of the shock tower?

5. Dec 18, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Pickeledpigsfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Foothills, CA
    I take it you have a welder? If so I would capture that body mount either mounted to the vertical face(welded or bolted) or flat stock under the body mount isolator. Usually I do both when building bumpers on crawlers that will be pulling their whole weight over a ledge.

Then I would fab up a shallow U and weld it between both front horns and then try to tie the winch mount into it.

MartinDWhite[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    MartinDWhite

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    I do have a welder, and a mill, and a lathe, and many other tools....I love tools.

Tying to the body mount with flat stock is a good idea, I will look at that tonight. Thanks.

7. Dec 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Spanning across the frame rails with a cradle would get you the most bang for your buck. Tie those two frame horn plates you made together. Those, BTW, look like good work, nice job. Then like @Pickeledpigsfeet says, gusset back to the body mounts.

That's kind of like how an ARB works on a 2nd gen Taco, FJ Cruiser, etc. There's a subframe that bolts to the truck to reinforce and tie the frame together and then the bumper with the winch in it hangs from it. That's part of the reason they protrude so far, there's some structure behind there.

iu-1.jpg

iu.jpg

MartinDWhite[OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    MartinDWhite

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 4-dr 4x4 Tacoma TRD
    The connection between the horns is important. The relentless bumper has a built in beef between the two frame horn connection points. Both horn end caps were bent forward the about same amount. With the bumper bolted on attached they are pretty well tied together. The bumper is way more stout than the ARB, IMHO.

This was caused by me stalling out a warn 8000 winch on a double line pull on the first wrap of the winch drum while connected to a stuck in a ditch, buried to the frame, dodge ram 3500 dually. It was WAY more than I should have been trying to pull....but I love to push the limits.

DaveInDenver likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top