1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Defrost without A/C mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MowTaco, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

it bothers me. ..and others. ..if you don't want to do the mod, don't do it. but don't try and tell me or anyone else what they should or shouldn't do based on what your preferences are.

:closed

2. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    Space Wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

what you missed was the point of doing the mod. ..which is to be able to control the cycling of the compressor on all settings. ..it has nothing to do with defrosting the windshield. ..now quit being so damn incorrigible!

3. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Space Wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4

who are you to tell me (or anyone else) what should and shouldn't bug me?

you can keep coming back with dumbass remarks. ..but everyone who's reading this knows you're being an obtuse douchenozzle.

4. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    Space Wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4

you just said the compressor cycling shouldn't bug me. who made you teh ultimate decider on what should or shouldn't bug someone?

furthermore, no one gives a shit about your opinion..

5. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    Space Wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4

if you had just posted this to start with....

6. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Space Wrangler

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4

thanks! mod has been serving me well for about 3 years now

..and i'm not mad. ...i just like pointing out when someone is being an idiot.

thanks for playing!

7. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    x2:D

8. Dec 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    oh,goodie....a fight:popcorn:

9. Dec 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I started the with the setting on defrost and feet, then switched to the 'new' setting and it stayed blowing on the windshield and feet. Cool deal.

As for the other BS in this thread:
    1) if you don't have anything positive to say in support of someone's mod/truck, don't say anything. It is basically a personal attack and you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, would you? (simple, right? apparently not...)

2) if someone breaks rule #1, screw 'em. They shouldn't be worth your time (or anyone else's time) to go on the attack. It shows the level of class of both parties and I think we, collectively, are better than that. We shouldn't get to the point where our focus is attacking each other instead of helping each other. :smack:

10. Dec 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I remember someone saying something in a thread along the lines of "pop that knob off and keep turning, see what happens" So I did...

As has been said before, you can still have the A/C run, just turn it back to the setting that runs the A/C. Or you can just push the button and leave it in the new position. This just essentially adds a "new setting"

Not sure what you're asking... can you elaborate?

The knobs are all the same. The knob in the picture is actually my temp knob I believe... I took the pic after the mod was done.

Nope. The metal post inside physically stops spinning after this last setting.

Bingo!

I haven't experienced that, but I will watch for it. Mine takes probably 5-7 minutes to clear the windshield with just hot air where it took maybe 20 seconds with the A/C, so I just give it a quick blast of A/C then let it run on the new setting to keep it clear.

I'm not sure... I suppose that could work. I assumed it was just through the windshield vents as that was the last setting it actually "knew"

It works well to keep the windows clear after you have them cleared. Plus if you do it and don't want to use it, you can just flip the switch back and have all your factory settings. It is truly a completely harmless mod... but if you don't want to, it's not like anyone can make you do it. It's your truck.

11. Dec 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    smart guy you totally missed the ppoint. Having AC on during defrost most doesn't mean the air coming out is cold. Even with the temp to the hot side, the AC compressor is still on.

Besides you drive a POS 2nd gen so this mod doesn't apply to your truck.

12. Dec 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    Interesting point highlighted there...this is the 1G forum...if you came over here just to start crap, please don't. Thanks! :wave:

13. Dec 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    RAMZAK

RAMZAK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD 4-DR PreRunner
    OMG, DO NOT DO THIS MOD!!!!

1. The AC is a AIR CONDOTIONER. It De-Humidifies the air so it can change the air temp easier(make it hot or cold) and it makes the air more effective. Especially while its raining or misting.

2. If you run all winter without running your Compressor. Your gonna have maintainance issues sooner. The running of the compressor moves the freon(lubricant) around and keeps the compressor lubed.

3. Un AirConditioned HOT air makes it hard to breathe, it feels stuffy.

4. You are completely devaluating your car. If I were at a lot and saw that the knob moves past the intended positions. I would not buy the car. This goes the same for all you guys drilling up your dashboards like swiss cheese to see how many 1980's devices you can install in one truck (i.e. CB Radios, Hard wired phones, Compasses, Gun racks, etc...)

14. Dec 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    The thing I like about this mod is it gives YOU the control over your compressor IE run the regular AC linked defrost to dry the air (you can judge when it is dryer enough) then switch to modded mode and shut out the outside air. Generally the AC saps about 5-7 HP when it kicks on-when it's winter out you're running the lights, wipers and the best part is you'll get hotter heat by not having to overpower the AC air all the time. If it gets to be muggy again in the cabin-switch it back for a few. IMO very cool mod I am considering! Thank you MowTaco:)

15. Dec 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    This was the best part of my day "you're being an obtuse douchenozzle..."...

:bananadance:

Kristi with a K likes this.
  16. Dec 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    As I said before, it is completely reversible. You're not disabling the A/C in any way, and you can still run the A/C with the knob in the new position, just hit the button.

As for number 4... you're not gonna see very many of the Tacos you see on here in a lot, especially the first gens. We buy them and mod them so that they can survive a nuclear war/ zombie attack, not for resale value...

Also I noticed today while driving that the vent selector kind of "reverted" back to blowing out just the "head" vents, I had to flip it to defrost to get it blowing through the windshield vents then flip it back to the new position. So I guess it does get kind of jammed up once in awhile.

17. Dec 4, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    ppl are stupid and lacking basic forms of reading comprehension.

18. Dec 4, 2010 at 1:22 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    +1 Mow, sweet mod.

19. Dec 8, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    It has been raining hard all day and while we were out, I did the mod-for me anyways I don't like it. Even when I run the AC-linked defrost first then switch to the mod and even turn off outside air all the windows fog up fast and it gets real muggy. No there are no leaks in my cabin. This was just with ambient conditions and whatever we tracked into the truck. Still a great mod for drier days I am sure-but I learned you definately need that AC conditioning the air. Luckily this is a "no harm no foul" mod so it's all good.

20. Dec 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    I really do not understand this forums obsession with making the defrost operate improperly.

-There defrost setting on modern vehicles are designed to do only 2 things.

1. Make the air blow towards the windshield and side windows.

2. TURN ON THE A/C!!! Windows fog up because the air is very humid. Air conditioners by nature de-humidify the air. That is what makes the defrost setting work.

If you don't believe me try it. Do this mod and go out on a day when your windows would normally get super foggy very easily. Try to defrost them without the a/c compressor running, then try it with it running and watch how all of the fog disappears in seconds. It's like MAGIC! .................... or 50+ year old science.... one of the two.

Products Discussed in

To Top