1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deisel Tacoma's!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TGurau, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    From the site:

A few years ago, we offered a kit where customer response was overwhelmingly positive, but people with almost no mechanical experience were buying these kits and expecting us to hold their hands through every single aspect of their conversion. This took up so much of our time, we spent all day on the phone and couldn't get any work done. Well, due to a flood of emails, we have decided to try a beta-test program where we'll sell a limited number of kits and see how it goes. We are marketing these with the weekend-welder with some mechanical experience. If you dont fall into this category, no problem!. We can do the conversion for you.

Please note: These are not a BOLT-IN AND GO solution and will require some additional components and slight creative thinking to complete. With the purchase of a kit, we'll throw in a plug-n-play wiring harness to suit your application. Items like plumbing hoses, hood scoops, fuel system modification, and radiator solutions will be the responsibility of the customer.

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Wait. So some random dude rags on someone that isn't even bragging his truck is fast and I'm an ignorant ass?
    [​IMG]

3. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    vstrom

vstrom Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
  5. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Well if you bought it for an older truck (e.g. a 2005-2007), it'd be like getting a new truck. They claim 500K miles for a well taken care of diesel. Might be worth it for 22K.

6. Oct 20, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    TGurau

TGurau [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    I agree man. Besides, the 2nd gens are awesome so it wouldn't be so bad having them for years.

7. Oct 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    TGurau

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    10-12 for just the kit, 18-27 for installation.

8. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Weeeeelllp, if i ever do win the lottery. I'm totally doing this :D.

So its 10-12 for the kit and then to ADD on to that, the 18-27K for the installation?

Oh goodness. I'd rather just get a fully loaded tundra. 12K for the kid + 27K for install = 39K...

9. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    dieseltoys

dieseltoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Definitely not for everyone...Second gen Tacomas/FJCruisers/4runners the pricing is $15k for the kits or $22k installed. Maybe it's just the line of work I'm in, but we regularly see folks with $10-12k in suspension, wheels, tires, bumpers etc. on their trucks. At least with a swap, they get more power and dramatically improved fuel economy. But, I agree it is a large investment that's not for everyone.

10. Oct 21, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Just Trolling :D First thing I could come up with when I saw IA haha

11. Oct 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    not fast but damn quick for a street legal lifted long bed crew dab that is used as a work truck getting descent mileage.

12. Oct 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    im not saying its the fastest thing on the road but for a truck with 2500.00 in bolt on performance its pretty damn quick. no nos no propane. anyway im sure you've seen faster trucks, me too. but im happy with it it gets better mileage than my taco and is much much faster even with the supercharger. im not trying to argue that they are the fastest thing out there just that they aren't complete shit either. in an application where they are needed like my work truck they are very impressive.

13. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
  14. Oct 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    TGurau

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    Actually, it's 10-12 just for the kit (depending on the model. It's 18-27 for the kit AND the install. Some people want just the kit and do the install themselves, others can't do the install so these guys can do it.

15. Oct 23, 2011 at 4:01 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    As has been said before it is all a matter of economics. Diesel in europe is VERY common. A large portion of there cars are diesel and can get 70+ mpg. In America the trend is opposite. dielsel until recently was used in vehicles where low end torque was needed, such as towing, big rigs, tractors, etc. The market for a diesel mid-sized truck in the US is realistically very small. The profit margin after development and design, safety testing, smog regulation, and everything else the government makes them do and the number of trucks they'd sell isn't financially justifiable.

16. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    why not? i think mid sized TD trucks would be popular. why are there mid size trucks in the first place? and why are there TD in daily driver cars and big trucks? a mid TD truck would deliver great fuel economy and bigger torque for the things we do. i know that would improve every part of the tacoma owners uses. off roading, daily driving, towing, hauling, whatever, it would improve.

im currently in the philippines, and EVERYTHING is diesel. minivans have functioning hoodscoops! there are a shit load of diesel midsized vehicles, let alone all sizes here.

my opinion is that the US govt doesnt want toyota dominating the diesel market along with the rest of the car market. they already lead in non diesel vehicles. there are way too many diesels in america to say there isnt enough demand for yota TD power. especially now that GM is now Govt Motors, they dont want the competition toyota would produce.

17. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    and the EPAs movement toward electric cars is stupid, because the energy powering the charging of the cars, takes the same amount, if not, more energy than it takes to just put fuel directly into the engine. solar and wind power wont produce enough to sustain the power required. and the electric cars are expensive, which most people wont be able to afford transportation. if the people that can afford to, want to throw their money away, then thats their decision. but diesel is a much more efficient route to pursue. (propane is very inefficient also) does anyone know enough about diesel emissions to say what really comes out of the tailpipe? is the "dirty" diesel mostly just soot?

18. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    kidrobot7

kidrobot7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma sr5
    not gonna lie. only read the first page but i actually just read an article about this. You cant buy one in the US because of the CARB emissions. They wouldn't be able to sell them in most of New England and California so toyota just won't bother selling them in some states with those regulations and less strict regulations in others. Doesn't make sense to them for some reason.

Products Discussed in

To Top