1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Del-ton, a way forward...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by SomeTacoDude, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Feb 15, 2024 at 7:19 PM

545 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab
    ScrippsRanch67 likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2024 at 7:22 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
  3. Feb 15, 2024 at 7:35 PM
    SomeTacoDude

SomeTacoDude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    • Because when I throw the gun up to my shoulder it doesn't feel comfortable, and having shot many guns before I see this stock as making it do so. I do wish it were cheaper, but I can't control that.

4. Feb 15, 2024 at 7:43 PM
    ScrippsRanch67

ScrippsRanch67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner 2wd Quad Cab short bed
    Fiberglass shell
    I have had a Delton .223/.556 for several years now. Put an inexpensive scope on it, it hits 400 yards all day long if I haven't been drinking too much the night before. I had to make it "California Compliant" or register it
    as an Assault Weapon. I should have just registered it, now with the modifications made, the charging handle does not lock back. That would take some more work which I have not had done.
    I'd recommend Delton all day long. The Delton is my 3rd Long Rifle.

5. Feb 15, 2024 at 7:43 PM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    I'll only spend half the amount of money I paid for the gun on a stock because I bought such a cheap gun. I did that so I could make it mine. By the time I get done I can assure you the add-ons I will put on this weapon will far outweigh the initial cost.

6. Feb 15, 2024 at 8:29 PM
    TRD-Troll

TRD-Troll Smoked Orc 75% off

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB AT
    A Colt 6920 is about $950. Even lower if you watch sales.

I would happily pay $950 instead of $400 to get a gun that isn't a cheap-o sketch-mart gun if I was thinking of using it for anything serious. People don't like to hear it but these $400 guns are not "just as good/reliable".

The people buying the $400 will pay more than $400-500 on more cheap-o "upgrades" anyway. A lot of which end up making them less reliable than out of the box.

Edit: Damn, called it based on the above post

Sig45 likes this.
  7. Feb 15, 2024 at 8:29 PM

545 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab
    Oh, you don’t have to assure me, I knew as soon as you posted the stock. Seen it time and again
    I’d advise you to do exactly the opposite of what you are thinking, but I don’t think you will. It’s hard to take advice from some asshole on the internet

The rifle you bought is a fine, basic rifle. Keep it that way. Do you have an irons or optic yet? Make your rifle shootable and go shoot it. Then shoot it some more. Get a pistol. Shoot it. Shoot it more.

Primary arms is a good company, if you change your mind, I’m sure they will take it back. Spend the money on ammo instead.

ScrippsRanch67 and crazysccrmd like this.
  8. Feb 16, 2024 at 3:21 AM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    So what you're saying is, if I decide to sell the gun I don't need to PM you asking if you would be interested.

9. Feb 16, 2024 at 4:58 AM
    GTGallop

GTGallop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Anthem, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Grey TRD-OR 4x4
    Dash Cams and Hams!
    The absolute bargain basement AR's rolling off the line today are far superior to the AR's we sent our sons into Vietnam with. As a matter of fact, your 2024 Cheap-o AR is probably every bit as good as general issue AR from around 1985. What you have is really good to go right out of the box and I'll bet (as is the case with 90% of shooters) it's better than your current skills.

What is the difference between a Cheap AR and an Expensive AR aside from price?
    Quality and Consistency of milling tolerances. My Cheap AR required barrel shimming to improve accuracy because where the upper receiver was milled to accept the barrel it was not concentric. Once I got that fixed it runs great. I'm ringing 12" steel gongs at 100 yards from the standing position w/o a magnified optic. You may find that you got a lucky one and your rifle doesn't need this or if you do, it's an easy job by a gunsmith.

The first thing I would add are a few accessories.
    LOCKS! Find a way to safely secure your firearms against theft and unintended uses. With laws clamping down, the value of stolen firearms, especially "Military Style Assault Rifles" is going up. You don't want your firearm in the hands of the wrong people. Not to mention - states are starting to enact some bizzarre-o insane safety laws too. I wouldn't be surprised if California doesn't require the rifle to be disassembled and stored in three separate locked containers soon.
    Either an unmagnified red dot or a slightly magnified red dot (up to but not to exceed 4x)
    Sling.
    Extra mags - and a way to carry mags.
    See if you can find a springs and detent pins kit online. Always handy to have some spare parts in the gun safe. Everyone who owns an AR has launched a detent pin into orbit at some point.

Second thing I would add
    An absolute truck load of ammo - based on your budget.
    You can accrue up to this amount. Buy some, shoot some, save some. My rule that I usually more or less stick to is shooting only half of what I buy.
    You are going to want to try a bunch of different ammo. Find the one that you can shoot accurately and that works with your firearm. Mine absolutely loves 62g M855 and does well with the heavier 75g bullets. I can run 55g bullets but my accuracy starts to suffer after about 130 to 150 yards. So figure out how much ammo you can afford and how much you can train. That's the key. A cheap AR in the hands of a well practiced owner is better than an expensive AR in the hands of someone who can't afford ammo now.

Along the lines of ammo and practice, I would see if there is a basic rifle marksmanship or appleseed class near you. Even experienced marksman benefit from a return to basics class from time to time to correct bad habits that develop over time.

Third you may opt to improve your trigger with a trigger job. Not a drop in trigger ($$$). But improving the existing parts for cheap by polishing them (¢¢¢). You can replace springs too if desired but I find that polishing the surfaces GENTLY AND LIGHTLY can be a huge advantage.

That's really it. Only replace the things that wear and break. Only upgrade when need to, when problems arise.

10. Feb 16, 2024 at 5:03 AM
    GTGallop

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Anthem, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Dash Cams and Hams!
    Your gun and your money. Do with it what you like.
    If it was me, that would have been the absolute last thing I would have spent any money on.

You now have a $600 gun that shoots like a $400 gun because you still have a $400 gun and no practice with it.

DetroitDarin likes this.
  11. Feb 16, 2024 at 5:07 AM
    DetroitDarin

DetroitDarin Specified

Member:
    York County PA
    Scratches and Whatnot
    My first ar bulid was a del-ton. the company hosed me in the financial transaction and their cust service was bratty. I'd never, ever, suggest doing business with them. But the rifle has performed well.

12. Feb 16, 2024 at 5:40 AM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    I find it interesting, the assumption that I've never shot a gun before. There's a few hundred deer that wished I hadn't. The gun doesn't fit. I'm a big guy, the stock is too short. I don't like the way my cheek lays on the stock. The more expensive guns I've looked at had the same kind of stock, so how would spending more money have helped the situation.

The first thing I'm going to do is take my vortex off of my deer rifle and mount it on this AR. Then I'm going to run some different kinds of ammo through it and see what kind of accuracy I get out of it. Because watching the many, many videos I watched accuracy seem to be somewhat all over the place. If accuracy is acceptable I'm going to put the stock on it and probably a 1x6 scope. If I can't get the accuracy out of it I want I'll probably say screw the stock and throw a red dot on it.

That said it doesn't seem like anyone here is going to offer me any worthwhile suggestions so consider this thread closed.

13. Feb 16, 2024 at 5:50 AM
    TCB2020

TCB2020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
    None
    If you got it for the coming apocalypse, minute of man, not minute of angle is the criteria. If you have never taken any formal marksmanship training, I highly recommend taking an Appleseed course. Project Appleseed | Project Appleseed (appleseedinfo.org)

GTGallop likes this.
  14. Feb 16, 2024 at 6:29 AM
    GTGallop

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Anthem, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Dash Cams and Hams!
    I find it interesting that you assumed I knew what size you are, what your skill level was, that you intended to move an optic to it. If I knew you were a large fella, if I knew you were a skilled hunter, if I knew you already had optics locked down, I might have offered different information. But no, you kept that a secret and then tried to drop the Reverse Uno card when you saw something you didn't like.

You asked the internet at large for opinions and you got opinions. When you cast a net this broad, you will get differing views, that's kinda the point. Consider all of the angles - especially the ones you didn't think of or the ones that differ from your direction. But, if you can't handle them all, and only came here for ones that praise your decisions, then ask your doctor if the internet is right for you.

TCB2020 and DetroitDarin like this.
  15. Feb 16, 2024 at 4:42 PM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    Dumb ass people were in a hurry to give smartass quotes. That's the majority of what you get here. Made a mistake posting about this. That's on me.

This is directed at others more than you.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  16. Feb 16, 2024 at 4:54 PM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    Me and a friend use to ground hog hunt. Killed more than a couple in the 300-400 yrd range with a bull barrel Ruger and Lee loaded 25-06 ammo. The gun and ammo would put 3 shots into a single hole at 100 yards if I did my job, and I did my job often.

17. Feb 16, 2024 at 5:53 PM
    GTGallop

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Anthem, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Dash Cams and Hams!
    upload_2024-2-16_18-53-20.jpg

And I mean it.
    I'm cool with you.

18. Feb 16, 2024 at 6:47 PM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    I quoted your post when I shouldn't have just to reply to the thread. Your good.

GTGallop[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Feb 18, 2024 at 4:26 AM
    TCB2020

TCB2020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
    None
    OK, so maybe you don't need to attend an Appleseed event. Most people would likely benefit from the class.

20. Feb 18, 2024 at 1:48 PM
    SomeTacoDude

Member:
    IMG_1859_20240218_153210.jpg

My son, who is just now discovering the joy of shooting guns, shot this group. One of the first times shooting a long gun, let alone an AR-15. 75 grs at 75 yrds. Shot a better group with 55 grains, and an absolutely terrible, almost 6 inch group, with 64 grain green tip. The 55 grains have more than acceptable accuracy.

Still hate the stock. Found a PRS Lite for right at $100 shipped and taxes. I'm going to add a Red Dot and that's it for the time being.

Speedbird, Z7Xtreme and GTGallop like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top