1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DelMandi's '13 DCSB Expo Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by delmandi, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    delmandi

delmandi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    TRD Short Throw Shifter
    Figured I'd start here, instead of created a small thread for each piece. Funding for this will be second to my '70 FJ40. I am pretty active on ih8mud. A tone of knowledge over there, at least on the cruiser side of the house. I traded in my '08 Tundra on 35's for this new beast. As I have always been a Tacoma person, and having experienced the FJ Cruiser and Tundra (didnt feel too comfortable in either) finally found a DCSB 6 speed in my area and jumped on it. I am not going to build this as big as I did my Tudra as I would like to keep it practical and still be able to two the 40 when needed. I also have the 40 to play with if I really want to wheel.

Plans so far are:
    OEM Roof Rack
    Bumpers (looking for a good DIY kit for front and rear)
    OME or IM4x4 lift
    BFG KM2 pizza cutters on stock rims

Mods done so far are:

5100's set at 1" sits just about level, very slight rake
    TracRac One for kayaks or whatever else I need to put up there
    OEM rubber mats (will upgrade to wheathertechs by winter)(ordered 3AUG13)
    TRD short throw shifter
    5% tint or darker in back, over factory tint so its pretty dark, 5% up front and luminar ceramic film on front windshield(this is great, really cuts down on heat and glare)
    265/70 BFG AT

How she looks today....

[​IMG]
    IMG_1536 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

As she sat when I got her home.
    [​IMG]
    Untitled by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

Little Red (just to show her off!)3
    [​IMG]
    Untitled by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. Jul 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    delmandi

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    TRD Short Throw Shifter
    So far I have installed TracRac One bed rack for the the yaks, I originally purchased yakima q-towers and didn't have much confidence in the set up.
    I got a pretty good deal on the tracrac, a while ago people were advising to get them at lowes (who no longer stocks them), however, with a little internet research and a few phone calls, I was able to obtain one from them. ORS and AutoAnything has them listed for about $500, and online at lowes for $299. Lowes.com showed that 2 stores near me had them in stock, the first actually did not, the second had 0 out of the 4 listed in their computer system! They have started to carry a better built rack that is very similar in price and design, however the are not compatible with a 2nd gen tacoma. Another store had a display and I was told that they should discount it further for me for being a display and after having a lowes associate verify that they actually had it, I made the trip. Actually they just had the verticle supports with the display cross members, so it may have fit a mule or some sort of atv with a bed!(found this out after making the trip) And they had no idea where the real cross bars were. After frustrating myself with this, I called the 800 number to lowes and was able to verify that a not so local store had one in stock. They still awarded my miltary discount but I had to pay for shipping, so it came a little over $300 to my door.
    So, for those of you still interested not paying the $500 for a TracRac one, I would suggest getting lowes on the phone and seeing if they can contact a store and have it shipped to you, it will still be less expensive than anywhere online!
    I also suggest ordering the rail mount kit direct from tracrac, unless you want to wait, I originally ordered from home depot so I could get my military discount, however, the processing time was at least 7 business days and then, I would have been notified when it would ship. TracRac was at my door in 2 days.
    So it arrived safe and sound and all parts were included. Assembly was simple, however the galvanized bolts were very stubborn from about a 1/4" in. But they did all go in with no cross threading.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1404 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1452 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

Guys at work made fun of me for the rack looking like a ladder rack rather than a kayak rack, but I told them it would support 800# they shut up.
    Install on the truck bed rails was easy, I may shop around to find some shorter anchoring bolts, as they are kind of hard to tighten, they rub on the bed as it angles towards the bottom.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1454 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1520 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

I was worried a little about the top of the bikes hitting the boats, but with the foam boat supports, it puts the yaks a few inches above the handle bars, perfect fit.
    I am very satisfied with this rack and would recommend to anyone, you can purchase actually boat mounts through tracrac, but the foam blocks work great for now, they dont slip and you dont need to get crazy with the ratchet straps to keep them secure, I tested them for about 25 miles at 75mph and they did not move. Great investment.

Both boats and bikes mounted!

[​IMG]
    IMG_1539 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1540 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1536 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

3. Jul 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    delmandi

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    TRD Short Throw Shifter
    Intalled 5100's on first setting. Thanks to down south for a great deal. Good people.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1478 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1479 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

Shot of the stock billies compared to 5100's (for anyone interested)

[​IMG]
    IMG_1484 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1482 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

Not quite 6" from top of tire to fender, just about 1/4" difference between front and back.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1610 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

I am not new to 5100's I had them on my Tundra before upgrading to Icon and they are great, after the alignment from stealership, I am very happy with these and DS who provided them. Thanks again.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1485 by mark.delgadillo, on Flickr

4. Jul 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    NutsTacoma

NutsTacoma Active Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 F-150 XLT crew cab 4x4
    Looks great thanks for the pics, I have a TRD-OR hope mine sits like that with 5100's set at 1.

Products Discussed in

To Top