1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Demon Mounts for Tacoma D Ring Upgrade without Off-road Bumper

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by AtlasShrugged383, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Apr 29, 2021 at 2:01 PM
    xLOGREx

xLOGREx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5
    Little of this, little of that.
    real-world experience

2. Apr 29, 2021 at 2:07 PM
    averagejp

averagejp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma Extended Cab
    Work in progress
    OP,

Let me see if I can help you since I went through the whole topic pretty thoroughly. I offer no snark ... just some background on what I found out and what I decided.

By the way, yes, this has been discussed quite a bit here on this forum but in lots of different places so it is possible that you may have missed it. I know I have asked some dumb questions here and have been pointed to places where I could have gotten my answer -- but I just missed it in the search engine. It happens. Don't worry. Your question is fine ... and don't get distracted.

Here is what I found. Maybe this helps you, too? Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing on this forum?

First and foremost, we have to separate towing from recovery. Towing is a much easier task. Recovery -- real recovery like pulling someone out of mud or out of a crevice, requires expertise and the right tools. So let's start by recognizing that these are for towing only and not real recovery.

For my use, I need something that will do towing and what I call very simple recovery. The most I would use these for would be pulling someone out of deep snow or pulling someone out of a ditch -- not a deep ditch mind you. In all cases, my first option would be to use the recovery point that I installed in my hitch. That is because the hitch bolts to the frame and offers a weighted capability. But I won't always have the luxury of pulling someone from the rear hitch so I decided to dive into the research on "recovery hooks." Here is what I found:

1) Full on recovery. The ARB product is the only one that attaches to the frame and is rated. Most expensive option (but not unreasonably so) but also really the best solution for more serious recovery. If I was doing this kind of full on recovery I would use this product and no other (unless I had a winch but that is a whole other story).

2) In the middle tier, you have the BPF product option. This is what I chose. The reason is that the BPF is rated. It also has three bolts but it does mount to the same cross bar. By the way, the product is beefy (they are great to order from) and this gives me some confidence that I can do what I call towing and low level recovery (think up to 5 on a scale from 1 to 10). In all cases, I am doing a gentle pull not a tug or any kind of harsh or jerky motions. This is passenger side only. BPF has released a driver's side product and there was a good guy on this forum who posted about installing both not too long ago. I am not a huge fan of the driver's side option yet because it requires drilling into the frame -- which I am too chicken to do (not afraid to admit that!).

3) The third option is the ones from AMI that you have presented here. They are not rated. The vendor has said they are for cosmetic purposes only. I would not do any actual recovery with them but I personally think they would be fine for towing -- as has been pointed out here they are at least as strong, if not stronger, than the tow hook on the current Tacoma (by the way, there is only one -- the other hook is a tie down hook for the truck while it is in transport). Personally, I felt more comfortable with the BPF after having it in my hands (well made product) than the AMI ones (which I didn't feel good about). I also heard from someone I know (not that well) that he tried pulling someone out of a ditch with them and they bent -- but I am not sure that is exactly what happened as I asked to see some pictures but did not get them. So, I don't know.

In short, if you want these for towing, you will probably be just fine. If you want them for recovery, I would caution against it. Better to be safe than sorry. If you like the looks of them, then by all means ... I don't comment on the looks as that is personal and subjective.

I hope that helps ... let me know if we can help get you the info you need to make the best decision for you. That is the point of this forum. More importantly, post back what you decide. We can all learn and see how other people are making decisions! Good luck !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  3. Apr 29, 2021 at 2:35 PM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    I've driven drunk before and nothing happened. Based on my real-world experience drinking and driving is fine.

BrysonHart, hoarder23, dc7rr1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Apr 29, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    Do they call it a tow hook? I thought it was for transport tie down only. If they call it a tow hook there must be some restrictions on how it can be used.

5. Apr 29, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    essjay

essjay Part-Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 (V6/AC/4WD)
  6. Apr 29, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    Tim v

Tim v Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    SE. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma access cab
    finally someone who has them and used them, I havent read that anyone has them and they failed, without any proof that they failed I plan on getting a set and anding a plate to use all 3 bolts(with out slots in the other 2) and rewelding the original welds, since there is no proof that they failed
    I wont(and wouldnt)use them for hard pulling

I will also grind down the washers and put a bead around them making them one

7. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    GOTSAND?18

GOTSAND?18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tacoma trd off road 4x4 Manual
    stock
    I can see the chain going into the bumper . Not the best setup for recovery . End up doing damage .

8. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:10 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    Stop being well thought out and reasonable. No one has time for that on TW. :D

Bring back the pitchforks and torches and lets get this thread back on the dumpster fire track.......

9. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:11 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    ..chain..

10. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    averagejp

averagejp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma Extended Cab
    Work in progress
    You should see my comments on roof racks, the new stock Toyota lift kit and the Ridgeline ...

:)

Slashaar, vicali and chuam[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:33 PM
    BookieBob

BookieBob Beer Drinker

Member:
    Racine,Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Sky TRD Sport 4WD MT
    I’m sure the factory hook has failed... and to avoid lawsuits Toyota made a notation in the manual to avoid further future lawsuits!

Use at your own Risk!!!!

Here’s the stock tie down point used to secure the vehicle to the semi truck when it’s in transit to the dealership.
    C9BACA90-1B52-4CDC-8BDF-2F5CDBB3E2E2.jpg

here’s the c channel Demon Brackets
    6345A906-49FA-4DEE-9C66-F92C0C815D94.jpg

and here installed

32A598F7-13F0-4E00-A9DA-8ECC35BF0F51.jpg

Close up
    6BBF2810-FB41-4F75-8FA6-B48E8BF6ACCC.jpg

Not sure if they hold but.......

if I’m stuck ???? I’ll try.
    283C6252-3C63-482D-BCCB-171E9F3418A1.jpg

Attached Files:

Hoyt Archer, gForceDude and Tim v like this.
  12. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    Ottawa river taco

Ottawa river taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Westmeath
    Vehicle:
    09 dclb sport barcelona red
    Bought it with 3" lift and xd rims wrangler tires
    OP there is an awful lot of drama about recovery on this forum. The engineers chime in with their letters after their names. The real world experience people come out with their real world experience. And the forum people get pissy because you asked a question that has already been asked. Let's be honest people have been using those two stock points on the front of toyotas to pull their truck out of the shit for as long as people have been driving toyota trucks through shit. All over the world. They work. These are going to work as well. If you pull too hard shit is going to break. If these suit your application then perfect. They aren't expensive and they are simple to install. Put them on your truck and enjoy being able to easily attach a shackle the next time you get stuck.

13. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Tim v

Tim v Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    SE. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma access cab
    Bookiebob how thick is the mounting plate ? I need to get some to weld another plate so I can use the other 2 bolts

14. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    gForceDude

gForceDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, before purchasing them I searched TW for reports of failure, and found none.
    Being that TW is the defacto platform for people to complain, it is reasonable to assume that if any member here had experienced a failure with these, it would have been reported.

VTCAL likes this.
  15. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    stonylaroux

stonylaroux Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
    If anyone on TW used this for a real recovery, they'd probably be too embarrassed to post the results.

16. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
  17. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    The issue is that if the unrated shackle hanger that is not recommended for recovery use by the manufacturer does fail, it can easily become a catastrophic and deadly failure. There have been many situations where equipment failures resulted in horrific injuries and loss of life. This equipment is put under literal tons of pressure and tension, which can result in metal flying at bullet speeds.
    A "real-world experience" may become a "last experience, ever".

Now, you can do as you like, nobody is telling you otherwise.
    What is problematic is any supporting argument for using these products in recovery, which the manufacturer has stated are not intended for recovery and are not rated, can lead other, less informed people to believe these are acceptable for recovery, unknowingly putting themselves and others at risk.

Simply put, it is absolutely irresponsible and even unconscionable to associate recovery to a potentially deadly product.

18. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:56 PM
    barf

barf Petter of Dogs

Member:
    First Name:
    Barf
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2019 m/t TRD OR DCSB
    OME Lift Viper Cut

Mic drop comment. Anyone who argues with this statement is a fool. 100%

xLOGREx, vicali, Slashaar and 2 others like this.
  19. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM
    Doc62

Doc62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2019 Sahara
    I went a totally different route for the front. I installed a Draw-Tite front receiver. Rated for 9000 lbs horizontal and 500 vertical. Bolts to the frame in multiple spots on both sides as well as the crossbeam. Allows me to use it for my snow plow, recovery point and eventually a winch that will allow me to use it on the truck or my Wrangler.

chuam and averagejp like this.
  20. Apr 29, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    Owners manual states the factory tow hook(s) are limited to, "If a tow truck is not available in an emergency, your vehicle may be
    temporarily towed using cables or chains secured to the emergency towing hook(s). This should only be attempted on hard surfaced roads for at most 50 miles (80 km) at under 18 mph (30 km/h)".

So they are for emergency use when no other safe option is available and on hard surfaces at low speeds. Using them to recover a stuck vehicle is asking for trouble.

chuam, Slashaar, DWD484 and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top