1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Denso Iridium TT Spark Plugs-Get Some!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Rattlejay65, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Mar 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    UrPebkac

UrPebkac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC SIERRA
    I am just gonna say this.
    I personally liked the iridium plugs. I liked that I didn't have to change them a lot. As far as mpg, I think the difference between std plugs and the iridium plugs is not enough to be noticed by everyone. There are just so any variables in everyone's daily commute that we likely would not see the difference. In a lab setting you might see a difference to prove ppls theory of better gains. But every day use. Nah. It's just the comfort knowing you put a more expensive plug in the truck with a purpose of a little less maintenance over time.

shr133 likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2016 at 5:50 PM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    Wow you made SSgt at least. Good for you, I made E-7 and retired. What was your AFSC? Master Mechanic... No such term in the AFSC description. GFY.

3. Mar 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    But what is the tip made of????

Platinum and iridium have a finer tip that has a more precise, consistent and hotter spark....
    Copper plugs wear very fast because they have a larger steel tip that has inconsistent spark...
    You may have to keep them gaped tighter....

If you try them and they don't run better next time just use the cheapest plugs you can find and use those....
    it's like running synthetic oil, it's not going to change the world it will just run a little better....

Cheap parts are just cheap parts, in performance there is no cheap way out....

Rattlejay65[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    "Inconsistent" spark is an issue that was pretty much solved with high power electrical systems. Most Spark plugs on a modern engine, have 50,000 volts shot thru them. Some have more. Gaps are increasing to take advantage of this, and get a more efficient fuel burn. Modern engines have gaps larger than .035". Most carbbed engines couldn't run that without some sort of plug-in module for the ignition system.

5. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    Here is another vid...
    This is how a plug works...

6. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:06 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Not sure what this is showing me?

7. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    TacoJova

TacoJova Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Ram TRX Sold 2015 White DCSB Offroad
    Supercharger Hybrid audio stage 3 and stage 2 rear with 2 image Dynamics IDQ10's and alpine amps Bilstein 5100 with OME 887 Dakars and Icon 2.0 in the rear URD SPEC U Headers URD Y Pipe Borla muffler 18" Magnaflow Resonator Morimoto fogs
    Doesn't all V6 Tacoma's come with standard copper plugs?
    I thought only i4 had the iridiums

Lester Lugnut and abarber11 like this.
  8. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    Rattlejay65

Rattlejay65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Well I will apologize for the gear ratio. With all the information I had at the time of my post, I thought there were 4.56 gears in it. Like I said in a response, one of the service managers told me this too. But with the responses, like I said I would do, I dug deeper and finally found a full disclosure of all the info on the 2015 and you guys were correct, my truck does have 3.73 gears. Now, being a nice guy, had I read a post where someone else made an honest mistake in a post, I would have said something like this. "Um, J.R. I know where you got your information, from those charts. But those were only for the gen 1s. The new information from toyota shows they only put 3.73 gears in the gen 2s." But that's not what I got. I got, "you don't have 4.56 gears unless you put them in yourself." Kind of snobby, but ok. That was the first quote. The second response just blatantly called me a liar. I said I got 2.6 mpg increase and the post said, "The only advantage iridium plugs have is a longer service life." So just forget what I just posted. You're the god of iridium plugs. Shall I bow now??? As for the mileage, like I also said, I'm a traveler and I fill up my tank every time I stop. You just never know. I do a lot of driving at night, in varying conditions, ice, snow, rain, winds and sometimes just straight driving on flat roads with a tail wind. I've never had mileage over 16.8 mpg and that was also a short trip of less than 150 miles, but it was on flat, downward running interstate with a tail wind. Sure my trip today was just 116.2 miles, but it was up and down, with constant 15mph cross winds with 30mph frequent gusts. I had to turn off the cruise control because it kept jumping into passing gear just to keep up. And I averaged 75mph on the interstate. I think that's a pretty rough trip for anyone and I was tired after that from fighting just to keep the truck between the lines. I filled up at the same gas station at the exact same pump. I fill it slowly until it stops and then I give it one more squeeze until it stops again. The gas indicator was slightly above the full line both times. And I'm used to driving 800 miles a day, checking the mileage every time I gas up. So for my little truck to get 18.6 mpg in those conditions, and I know this truck by now, and the only thing I did was put in some new plugs this morning, I think that is pretty darn good. And I'll stand behind that any day. I'm 50 years old and have traveled the world in the military. I have an AS degree in mechanics, a BS degree in aeronautics and a BS degree in nursing. I've driven over a million miles in my life so far and I think the test I did today is a good enough test under the conditions listed above to qualify as a pretty good indicator that those plugs did a pretty good job. I will continue to monitor the mileage as this is just one of the things I do. My dad drove OTR for 50 years and had over 10 million miles and he checked his mileage every time he filled up his truck. Daily. I do to as I get that from him. So to anyone who says that iridium plugs only give you a longer lasting plug with no other added benefits, I would have agreed with you yesterday, but not today. My feelings were not hurt. I just gave it back like I received it. I just didn't put up a puppy dog face to lessen the blow of the insult. Bless her heart. But I did learn something today on here and I'll take that. But you will never hear me bash someone who is excited about a mod or tune up they did on their truck and took the time to post it on here. You all could take a stern lesson from that out of your busy god-like knowledge. It's called being nice and there's no cost to be nice. Try it sometime.

BHill_teq likes this.
  9. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    AH!....Ok.......Those are advertising videos for marketing....

10. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    It shows the tip of the std plug is less consistent spark....
    That is the whole point of a better plug is better control of the spark.....

11. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    Rattlejay65

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I read a 3 page article on it right after I bought my truck. All I got from it was what sounded like a sales pitch. But I think you're correct with it being #2.

12. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    kullin

kullin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denison Tx..
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota double cab
    None Yet :)
    Ive changed my own plugs on two different 4.0 liter Toyotas... It is very easy to do with only a couple of brackets on drivers side in the way..It took about an hour.. 300 bucks is robbery..

13. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    Rattlejay65

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have to agree with this to a point. My studies in engineering with my degree in aeronautics says this is correct. My lab studies in nursing on finding baseline data suggests otherwise. The last two weeks I was seeing 16mpg with refueling done approx every 150 miles. With my change to the new plugs it jumped up to 18.6 on a somewhat similar field of data. Frequent fill ups at or around 150 miles with little input in force against drag, then new plugs and a considerable increase in mpg, along with an increase in the forces of drag against thrust, which has always shown nearly a 1.5 drop in mpg, but instead it shows an increase. What caused this unforeseen increase? It would be a mystery to me had I not just changed the plugs an hour before the trip. But I'm about to take a long trip, approx 2000 miles. I'll post the data on that too.

shr133 likes this.
  14. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    welcome to TW - this place can be merciless! peace!

15. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    Rattlejay65

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road

I'm glad and I love reading about that. I love to learn new things. But you won't hear me bashing at them or peeing in their cereal after they just cleaned the bowl. Or writing little snippets of something they think they have the inside lane on. And even if they do, I want that knowledge too. But with their attitude, I'd never let them near my truck. Seen too many of that kind in my day.

16. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Didn't call you a liar, he just tried to tell you that you had 3.73 gears.

Marketing video. Have you seen one in person?
    Here is one for a lawnmower.......Looks just as impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUOmsGiirTU
    The plugs used for the supercharger are a colder heat range, to prevent pre detonation. With your "Degrees" and all...I would think you would have known that.

Sterdog and TacoJova like this.
  17. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    Rattlejay65

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Thanks, I'm well aware of the junkyard pickers tools of the trade, spending many of hours in one myself. But you are forgetting that I frequently test my mileage on 150 mile trips, numerous times. Never ever under any circumstances have I seen a 2.6 mpg jump. I rarely ever go 200 miles without filling up in the first place. And the very few times I did, I drove it from full to dang near empty and still got the same mpg, around 16. So when I see the same numbers time and time again from the very beginning, meaning never ever seeing any mileage above 17 mpg, and I change my plugs and bam, I get 18.6. That is a milestone.

18. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    Rattlejay65

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Yep. I find that if you just remove the top bolt on the long bracket and just loosen the bottom one, you can swing it out of the way. My fat hands have a hard time way down there.

19. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    New plugs, with a wider gap, can give a MPG increase over old plugs, like the ones put in at the factory, with a wonky gap.

Sterdog likes this.
  20. Mar 6, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Thanks Chris. So basically the Iridium plug is cooler and less likely to cause pre ignition in the S/C'd TRD engine?

Products Discussed in

To Top