1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dent Repair, Would this work

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jeckel7234, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    I had a tree limb fall and dent the top of my truck a few months ago, there are no creases in the dent. Would this technique of a heat gun and compressed air work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Logcabinwc told me about how he's used the suction cup from a gps to pull a dent out. You just stick the suction cup to the middle of the dent and pull it out and apparently it looks as good as new. You could try that, might be easier.

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    I have a dent on my roof and I got quoted $1000+ to fix it. He said when popping the dent out, it would crack the paint, and then would have to get the whole roof painted over. Not sure how your dent resembles mine, but I'm not sure if roof dents are different than other body panels.

Matt

4. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    mine is kind of on the the corner of the roof just above the drivers door

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    suction cup from a gps ?

6. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yeah, like the mount for a navigation gps that suctions to the dash or to your windshield.
    edit: it might not work with the location and if it's a small dent, but I think that any suction cup thing will work

7. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    hmm, not a bad idea i guess atleast worth a shot.

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    i dropped that edge of my headliner the other day in attempt to knock it outward. But there was a lot of plastic pieces up there that i figured would be a PIA to pull down

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    3RZforme

3RZforme Active Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 4cyl
    I am a paintless dent repair technician and have spent the last 3 years fixing hail damaged vehicles. I remember the plastic spacers you are talking about and to the best of my knowledge they are not bolted in. They just clip into place; you should be able to just pull/wiggle downward on the plastic to remove it. Depending on how much you drop the headliner it may be tough to get access, but the headliner in your average Tacoma is easy to drop. Without using a light/ding board it will be tough to make the dent "look like new". If you aren't too concerned about getting it perfect you should be sable to push it up and at least improve the appearance.

10. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    have you ever heard/seen the method in the video, heat it up then freeze it to pop the dent

11. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I didnt watch thet video nor did I read the posts but....

This reminds me of a guy who went up to a lady and said he could fix a dent in her car. He took a blow torch to the dent hoping to pop it out and set her car on fire :laugh:

12. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    3RZforme

3RZforme Active Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 4cyl
    I have heard people joke around about it; never seen a paintless dent repair tech actually do it though. I never tried myself. It probably only works on shallow dents that are in an open area of the panel, away from body lines and panel edges. Even then I am skeptical that it will truly fix the dent %100; probably just pops the metal back up and leaves a wave in its place. Might be worth a try being that it would be relatively cheap and easy. You probably know what kind of results cheap and easy usually brings though...

Using PDR tools you can physically push the metal back into place; truly repairing the dent. A good tech will be able to make most dings and small dents disappear. Depends on whether or not the dent can be accessed and how stretched the sheet metal is.

Products Discussed in

To Top