1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Desert Armor - Tank RTT and others

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by OldBaldGrumpy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    No problem. I’m glad y’all are voicing your issues. I only hope that when things are resolved properly you can update here that your issues are fixed.

Spare Parts likes this.
  2. Jun 8, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    scottstrong89

scottstrong89 AhsokaTaco

Member:
    Carlsbad | CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR5 2.7L DCSB Black (Sold 6-2-21)
    Bilstien 5100s- front 2.5inches Bilstien 5011s - rear extended HeadStrong OffRoad progressive AAL Manga flow muffler Aftermarket Powder-Coated Black Tip BFG KO2s- 265/70/17 Method Wheels Double Standard 17” Prinsu Cab Rack w/ Plano Rife Cases Yakima Awning Tacoma_Twins Paracord Handles TRD Pro Grille w/ Raptor Lights Laminx Fog Light Vinyl Yellow Me-So Customs Flip Fob Me-So Customs Gas Hole AJT Designs Emblem Overlay Black Me-So Customs Method Wheel Caps Screen ProTech 3 Piece Protector Kit Bumper Shells Bumper Caps Black tttacodan Bed Stiffeners TRD Pro Skid Plate TVD Vynil Decals Chrome Delete Hondo Garage Mounts w/ Ram Mounts RCI Adjustable 12” Bed Rack RotoPax Lox Mounts RotoPax WaterPax & Storage Pack Yakima Skyrise RTT WaterPort Shower Baja Born OffRoad Rock Sliders XBull Recovery Boards Al Off-road Trailgate Panel ataco4x4 Grille Emblem Desert Armor Ultra4 Ditch Light Pods Cali Raised LED 40” Light Bar Cali Raised OEM Style Switches
    I definitely will post an update of what happened from my point of view if/when things get resolved.

3. Jun 8, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    Whoops. I didn’t realize this was the review thread. Didn’t mean to bring this stuff here.

4. Jun 8, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Actually I believe this thread was started to ensure we had a place to put all this.

And I will absolutely keep the community informed, the sooner this is dealt with, the sooner I can report back and move on. And agree with the previous post, and stop my credit card company from having to use their time on this.

scottstrong89 likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I have been contacted by Eric at DA, my refund will be processed today. It was a very respectful and pleasant conversation.

6. Jun 8, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    scottstrong89

scottstrong89 AhsokaTaco

Member:
    Carlsbad | CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR5 2.7L DCSB Black (Sold 6-2-21)
    Bilstien 5100s- front 2.5inches Bilstien 5011s - rear extended HeadStrong OffRoad progressive AAL Manga flow muffler Aftermarket Powder-Coated Black Tip BFG KO2s- 265/70/17 Method Wheels Double Standard 17” Prinsu Cab Rack w/ Plano Rife Cases Yakima Awning Tacoma_Twins Paracord Handles TRD Pro Grille w/ Raptor Lights Laminx Fog Light Vinyl Yellow Me-So Customs Flip Fob Me-So Customs Gas Hole AJT Designs Emblem Overlay Black Me-So Customs Method Wheel Caps Screen ProTech 3 Piece Protector Kit Bumper Shells Bumper Caps Black tttacodan Bed Stiffeners TRD Pro Skid Plate TVD Vynil Decals Chrome Delete Hondo Garage Mounts w/ Ram Mounts RCI Adjustable 12” Bed Rack RotoPax Lox Mounts RotoPax WaterPax & Storage Pack Yakima Skyrise RTT WaterPort Shower Baja Born OffRoad Rock Sliders XBull Recovery Boards Al Off-road Trailgate Panel ataco4x4 Grille Emblem Desert Armor Ultra4 Ditch Light Pods Cali Raised LED 40” Light Bar Cali Raised OEM Style Switches
    Spoke with Eric a bit ago. We got to both say our peace like adults and it’s handled. I’m supposed to be receiving my refund. Even though I was left with a sour taste in my mouth, I hope for the best for DA in the future. I will always root for family owned businesses

uploadadventure likes this.
  7. Jun 9, 2021 at 4:01 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:

Trying to stay out of the other thread, but just want to be clear about something. Just as I told Eric yesterday, the shipping sucked, but not once did I contact DA upset about shipping, in fact I replied to the many delayed emails with things like that sucks thanks for keeping us in the loop, or thanks it must suck to have to send these emails.

Shit went south for me when I called/left a message with a concern about needing to modify the Tank RTT to keep out water and dirt, and Alex returned with a voice mail saying he canceled my order. I in NO WAY WAS TREATED OK, and that is why Desert Armor Tank Roof Top Tent is not on my truck on the rack that I bought for this Desert Armor Tank Roof Top Tent.

And I saw nothing at all from Desert Armor in reference to my full refund for the Desert Armor Tank Roof Top Tent that was canceled on me, but yet, Fed Ex has already been moving the tent back for days.

8. Jun 9, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Been 24 hours, nothing showing me I am getting my refund issued yesterday.

9. Jun 9, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Got a message from Desert Armor

FE4155D7-39D1-4BAF-A8CF-4BDAD4411EF6.jpg

I’m sure it’s just another automated message, just annoying to get this type of communication but I have to reach out to get info about my refund.

10. Jun 11, 2021 at 1:25 PM
    LWLLWWW

LWLLWWW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dropped in garage. Good packing. Straight badging. All the zippers and stitching are good. Taped seams. Don’t love the rivet job on the latches.

11. Jun 11, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I have been refunded from Desert Armor, and have received an email from PayPal and Desert Armor. Finally I can flush the toilet on this crap sandwich I was feed.
    Ordered on January 29th, expected a early March delivery, then in early June with the tent 20 minutes from my house, I call and ask about quality concerns, and my order gets cancelled on me.
    I am overly bitter today, as both my wife and I have the next 3 weeks off and Utha was the plan when we ordered the tent. Last year at this point we were loaded up our 4runner with 2, kids, a dog and a pop up trailer to hit the Pacific ocean and back in 3 weeks. This year, it was going to be just the wife and I. Sorry for the book.

I truly believe in market competition, and at one point I wished Desert Armor the best, even though the tank tent is what I want, I would rather lug around my Awesome LLBean tent, 2 Cabelas cots and break my back, than see a company that would do what they did to me get anyone's money, let alone mine.

I do thank you Rich for using your connections with Desert Armor, to assist in moving this along, but for future reference, Don't downplay someone's issue as just being a China thing, this really did peak my spiddy sense, then to hear that some one felt they needed to add weather stripping to keep the mattress clean and dry was very concerning. Has this been addressed yet, or is it a real concern? Alex never talked to me, so I wouldn't know.

desertarmor and littlefish like this.
  12. Jun 27, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    To say I have not been upset and disappointed about my Desert Armor experience would be a big fat lie. I have woken up a couple mornings angry at this company, I feel like they took my candy from me after making me wait months.

but anyways, in to the reason for this post. Because we are again researching for a roof top tent, the wife has joined a Facebook group on RTTs, and shared with me this morning someone else’s Desert Armor experience.
    For what I gathered, someone else was having issues with the clamps on their brand new tent. They did say they are expecting Desert Armor to send them some new ones (again needing to modify a brand new tent), but they didn’t sound like Desert Armor left them feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

Desert Armor once again, you write the script that folks use.

13. Jun 27, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Any updates?

14. Jun 27, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    DanishTaco

DanishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-Offroad
    @Spare Parts i found another company (looks to be a startup) for you thats a bit cheaper and looks to be the same type of tents from DA but a bit cheaper in terms of price.

https://www.outertents.com/

15. Jun 27, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I’ll check em out. What I liked about the tank was it’s 5 foot length, perfect for my 5 foot bed. I’m struggling with anything overhanging my bed, as I know I’ll hit my head on it. I can’t count how many times I’ve hit my head on my big ass red canoe. The size plus rack on top was the selling point for me.

if I don’t find anything before the next model year 4Runner comes out, and I can get exactly what I want, I may go tent on a 4Runner instead.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    DanishTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 27, 2021 at 7:16 PM
    DanishTaco

DanishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-Offroad
    Why not just do a full height bed rack or a shell? That way you can get a larger tent without the over hang.

17. Jun 27, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I have a over the softopper rack, bought just for the RTT to go on, I had/still have a big ass lumber rack that went over the cab and softopper.

DanishTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    zachslimmer

zachslimmer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    North carolina
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 DCSB 4x4
    prinsu cab and camper racks, OME 3" heavy springs, 285's 17's
    hey all has anyone had any experience with the Grunt? As for customer service, I have been texting back and forth with someone from DA and have 0 negative to say so far. I am hoping *fingers crossed* that those of you with a negative experience were just flukes.

19. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    So, obviously I have no experience with any of Desert Armor gear. And unfortunately my only experience is what has been documented here on TW, except for my interaction via The BBB. Which, Desert Armor has a Florida address. I found it interesting how Desert Armor replied to my comment.
    https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/cocoa-beach/profile/auto-accessories/desert-armor-0733-90758266

D7D701F7-455B-4659-86EC-0A2739AE3EAA.jpg 0667C377-57F3-47FE-BB98-DA7010297F48.jpg D92DB605-9DCF-4F77-B614-C3E11B9FA4BC.jpg 0431EB12-75D6-4F41-9A7D-312A8D292557.jpg 26FCE303-15EC-4823-8C35-16CBF6EECDD4.jpg

I am going to go back and look for the threats I made towards desert armor, and I never spoke with anyone from desert armor (unless Rich was really employed by them) until after they left the voice mail canceling my tent order. They are correct, I did question the quality of their tent before I saw mine, particularly after their unpaid representative told another forum member his quality concerns can be chalked up to a China thing.

20. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    zachslimmer

zachslimmer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    North carolina
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 DCSB 4x4
    prinsu cab and camper racks, OME 3" heavy springs, 285's 17's
    Damn thats crazy...I hate that you had that experience and i have been watching the forums for a hair over a month and have seen these negative experiences but have talked with people that ended up with good quality tents and customer service. I am currently speaking with someone about their experience with the Grunt and have nothing bad at all to say about it. I am going to try and order it today so I will be reporting back with my opinions on it along with my ordering/customer service experience. Customer service can make or break a small company and seeing all the negative stuff on here is the only reason i have waited so long to order a tent but can say my personal experience has been pretty pleasant.

Products Discussed in

To Top