1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Detroit Gear Driven LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tepidy, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    My LSD seems to do better than those that I've wheeled with that are locked. Not sure why but it seems to be the case on most trips.

2. Dec 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Yeah, pulling the rear drive shaft and the axles is just the first step. It is a big job but pretty straightforward, except for the backlash and preload setups. Here is a how-to for a 1st gen Tacoma for the basic procedure.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/max.htm

3. Dec 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    thanks raylo for the link I printed it out to give to the tech just in case he stuck.

4. Dec 12, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I completely disagree with you regarding SR5 A-LSD systems in snow. It operates very well.

At first I thought perhaps I would want to add an auxiliary vacuum pump to make sure the brake booster was available for continuous A-LSD use if things were bad, but even with deep drifting snow I never ran out of available brake boost (with either TRAC or A-LSD operating).

I think the hydraulic booster is needed primarily for ATRAC use, where you might have long-duration high throttle (low vacuum) and extensive brake system operation.

5. Dec 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    NO NEED that I can figure... but I am not a Toyota Technician... But, the way I see it: If your aftermarket limited slip or locker stops wheel spin... Then the TRAC (AUTO LSD) sensors will not detect wheel spin and will not apply brakes.

It is all about slowing down or stopping wheel spin on the low traction tire so torque goes to the high traction tire. If your trutrac does it first or better than the TRAC system, the TRAC won't need to apply any brakes. I wouldn't shut off VSC. But, as you will do... I would test it!

Products Discussed in

To Top