1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Detroit Truetrac lsd vs Trd rear axle swap

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by scaliusmaximus, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mar 19, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    scaliusmaximus

scaliusmaximus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pascal
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Prerunner XtraCab 3.4l
    none
    wondering if I should do a rear axle swap from a parted out trd or if I should get a lsd.
    I’m only going to be doing moderate off-roading. No rock crawling or anything extreme.
    I mainly daily drive my truck and just want it to be capable if I go off-road. And I don’t want any noise or abnormal tire wear.

Also does anyone know what part number for Detroit truetrac lsd.
    It’s a 2001 rwd prerunner.

2. Mar 19, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    Hotdog11

Hotdog11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    Bilstein 5100s Bumpers, winch rock rails
    I've been chewing on the same question. From my research, unless you have a lead on a cheap axle, it's about the same price for the truetrac, and much easier to transport or have it shipped. If you've got to have the axle shipped, good luck paying for the freight.

Now, if your patient/lucky and find an elocker trd axle at a local "pull a part" that has standard pricing for any axle, (like $150-$300) that would be the way to go!

scaliusmaximus[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I really like the Truetrac and actually debate on removing my locker in favor of a Trueurac, because a Trueurac is a major traction improvement without needed input from the driver and beneficial regularly in rain/snow/off road, vs a locker that is just beneficial when off road and you hit the button. However, with 2wd, a locker would be a much better choice for off road capability. If you are keeping things mild like going down some forest service or basic trails roads the Trueurac will do fine, but if you start getting into hill climbs, soft soil, mud or anything that really should have 4wd, the locker will be a better option for a 2wd truck.

Here is the Truetrac part needed:
    https://www.randysworldwide.com/product/tt-913a541/

4. Mar 19, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    I didnt have a whole lot of experience with the Truetrac but what I did have was good! I had one installed on my titan and before install I could get stuck in a mud puddle..after install it helped immensly. Only reason I got rid of it was because the truck was only a 2wd and I moved to north idaho. I got it stuck in my driveway and had enough of that...

5. Mar 19, 2019 at 10:06 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It’s pretty amazing how far you can get with a Trutrac AND 4WD. I’d say if your a Prerunner to stick with a locker for your needs for the reasons mentioned by another poster above. If you decide to start doing more aggressive trials you will need the locker since 4WD is not an option.

6. Mar 19, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    If you want capability offroad then get a rear locker. An LSD is designed for better street performance, not offroad performance. Locker is where at if you want better traction off the street.

scaliusmaximus[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 20, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    LeMoine

LeMoine Member

Member:
    I’ve had mine for about two years and have been very pleased with it. My only complaint would be the annoyance of the tires chirping on turns - however this is something you get used to and can avoid with a bit of practice.

8. Mar 20, 2019 at 8:46 PM
    Jeremy Martin

Jeremy Martin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen Taco
    I've got the Trutrac LSD in my Wrangler and love it. Does great on road, and better off. I take the Jeep on trails that would rate a 3 out of 5 and haven't needed a locker.

9. Mar 23, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    scaliusmaximus

scaliusmaximus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pascal
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Prerunner XtraCab 3.4l
    none
    All your input has helped me out a lot. I think living in Southern California it makes much more sense for me to get the e locker. I never deal with sketchy paved road conditions and if I’m gonna go off-road I’m gonna try to do some proper off-roading that requires a locker.
    And it seems like it will be easier to install than the truetrac.
    But it definitely sounds like the truetrac lsd is pretty capable as well.
    I just gotta save some cash for the locker and hopefully one turns up soon.
    Any buying tips for a rear axle assembly? I know I’ll need to check to see if the gears are in good condition. But anything else?

10. Mar 23, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    SC, TrueTrac, BBK (eclipse rotors, CTS-V calipers), 275/50R17 NT555-G2
    I drive with a heavy foot, and my TrueTrac shudders or chirps on just about every right turn I take (with fat 275/50r17 nittos). I can avoid chirping/shuddering by driving slower or faster; faster and a little slide is more fun. Honestly, aside from gaining amazing launches and the ability to trivially kick the back end sideways for fun, installing an LSD on a street vehicle introduces significant danger: kicking sideways when your trying to accelerate (rain, snow, in a hurry, acting stupid, ...). An e-locker is much more civilized on the street if you are not looking for daily performance but instead occasional traction aid: when you accelerate and start spinning without locker engaged you will at least have that other lame tire keeping your back-end going straight.

FWIW, I have a love hate relationship with my TrueTrac. My M Roadster has a torsen too, but it is smooth as butter around the turns under acceleration, unlike the TrueTrac. On a seperate note, the BMW has electronic traction control too, and that is almost essential with a torsen and enough horsepower to break the tires free on acceleration unless you enjoy always living on the edge ;) My other cars have had clutch driven LSDs (camaro, IHC scout 2): fun for the street but lame off road for anything requiring more torque to one wheel.

11. Mar 23, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    If you want the TRD elocker you'll have to replace the whole rear axle with one from a TRD truck, which can actually be cheaper than buying a brand new ARB locker if you find a good deal on a used axle assembly.

Otherwise your other selectable locker options are the ARB air locker or a Harrop e-locker, both about the same price in the end (~$1300 not including install if you don't do it yourself).

12. Mar 23, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    Tikibutt

Tikibutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4
    I'm toying with the same ideas. I have a factory e-locker from a '96 4Runner retro'ed into my '91 and with a detroit locker up front. I'm getting ready to part the 4Runner and was curious is the that locker will drop in (after axle mods) my '04 Taco with a 4cyl.

13. Oct 3, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    What did you guys all decide? Truetrac or locker? I'm on the fence with my two-wheel drive myself. It's cheaper to go with the limited slip, but I want something that's going to perform well in sand and ruts of Southern California mountains and desert.

14. Oct 16, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    Tikibutt

Tikibutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4
    I would up selling the T4R as a whole and bought a LoctRite mechanical locker for the Taco. I've loved it. I had different axle sizes to contend with, and this was the most cost-efficient choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top