1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dewalt vs Ryobi

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by boston23, Oct 11, 2019.

?

Dewalt or Ryobi driver

1. Dewalt

80.0%
  2. Ryobi

20.0%
  1. Oct 11, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    Ridgid cordless tools seem good but what I found out is that awesome selling point of the batteries having the lifetime warranty only applied to batteries bought in a set, if you buy extra batteries seperatly they do not have that warranty and not all home depots have staff to do warranty testing, I was told that I may have to pay for shipping to the testing center and it could take up to 3 weeks, Milwaukee stuff I just go to the website fill out a form with the serial numbers and the give me a UPS(I think) label, I had a battery I bought with a used tool from a pawn shop that died and they sent me a new battery in under a week.
    I am not shitting on ridgid the company I was just unpleased with how they make the 18V tool warranty seem like just walk into HD with your receipt and we will give you a new one off the shelf then and there.
    Maybe I was told lies though.

Awesome you'll be happy, HD usually has some milwaukee stuff on clearance at good prices, when you buy a impact wrench you should buy one that's fuel, they really are nicer/stronger. I have that same 18v impact driver for around the house and I found my 12v fuel is just as strong.

2. Oct 11, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    You are correct, if you use Rigid you have to make sure you register each online including the # on your receipt and you have to pay your own freight if you mail something in. I just catch the battery deals on black Friday or around the holidays and they hold up great in my experience.

Milwaukee, I swear they DGAF. I went on the site. Filled out claims on 17 impacts some missing the serial # because of wear. No receipts, they fixed 5 and sent me 12 new ones and said they only made that model for less than 5 years so all good. I have never had a claim take more than 10 business days and never been turned down.

Hamer95USA, 95 taco and pudge151 like this.
  3. Oct 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    bigmw

bigmw Not-So-Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeastern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue DCSB Sport 4x4, manual transmission
    Bunch of different mods
    At work we used to have all Dewalt, never had any issues with batteries. Since a year or two ago, they started buying everything Milwaukee, Chinese made crap. Multiple battery failures on Milwaukee tools. We also have some Stihl and Hilti tools. My rating in terms of tool quality and battery quality would be Hilti, Dewalt, Stihl. Milwaukee doesn't make the cut.

boston23[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2019 at 2:22 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    I love this thing! Makes rotating tires a breeze. Don't even have to break the lugs loose before you jack it up. Not my pic so no that is not my Ryobi battery in the background! LOL...

maxresdefault.jpg

boston23[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    We had the same problem but ours was with Dewalt so we switched to Milwaukee and have been fine. To each his own.

boston23[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    I've built up a collection of Dewalt 18V tools. Some go back 20 years now (!) and are still going strong. I've replaced the batteries every 7-8 years, but that'd to be expected. I do a lot of work with them -- restoring a house, built a few small boats, tons of home projects. The only 18V dewalt product i didn't love was a 5.25 inch circular saw... it never seemed to have enough power.

boston23[OP] and bigmw like this.
  7. Oct 11, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    I’m into corded power tools, can’t stand recharging and replacing dead batteries. Just bought a 1/2” 10amp Dewalt drill for bigger jobs than the 3/8”. For $119, it’s hard to beat.

AF66BDCF-01DD-4945-B01D-15F7EAFA9795.jpg

Hamer95USA and bigmw like this.
  8. Oct 11, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Milwaukee would be my first choice if I had the cash, Makita a close second. I am a weekend warrior DIY guy and really can't justify spending that much on tools I won't use much. When it came down to me buying a multi tool set, it came down to Rigid or Ryobi.....I went Ryobi and am happy with what i got for the money but in the back of my mind i wish i went with rigid for the better warranty and quality. At the end of the day it just made more sense for me to get Ryobi One + tools with brushless motors and high amp hour batteries. I keep adding more tools and haven't gotten one I don't like.

9. Oct 11, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    lodi781

lodi781 Alexander Supertramp

Member:
    shelton CT
    Vehicle:
    '16 4runner trail
    ARB by-51’s, dobinson springs, Gobi Rack, Black Oak single row LED roof bar
    I have a Dewalt drill that I bought when I was 21. I turned 45 today and I still have it and use it. I’m not sure Dewalt is still made in the USA. It may be assembled in the USA , but I believe the parts are from China. What you need to find is a tool that uses US steel. It’s just a better quality. I would rather have a tool with US made with our steel no matter where it’s assembled over a tool with anything from China. Obviously, my first choice would be US everything, but I don’t think that even exists anymore.

Grossomotto, 95 taco and bigmw like this.
  10. Oct 11, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    Grossomotto

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    3A95A513-333F-4A8F-9377-F3520CB7E06B.jpg

joeyv141 and crashnburn80 like this.
  11. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    tarbal255

tarbal255 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco SR
    Only my impact driver and hammer drill are us made. My flex volt saw is chinese

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 12, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    boston23

boston23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Happy belated birthday!

lodi781[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 13, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    My philosophy when it comes to tools and outdoor equipment is buy the best there is or the best you can afford, less chance of breakage or failure and failure isn’t an option. Cheap tools and outdoor equipment will fail at the most inopportune time.

Hamer95USA and lodi781 like this.
  14. Oct 13, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    If you just work in your garage, that's fine. But, in the trades cordless is so much better!

Also, newer batteries hold way more charge. And, newer brushless tools make tons of power and are very efficient. You'd be surprised how much work you can get done without having to charge a battery these days.

I don't see myself ever buying a corded tool aside from something like a table saw, or air compressor, or anything that I wouldn't need to move.

That does look like a nice drill, though!

Lol, is that Buckethead in your avatar?

15. Oct 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Yup I sprung for a Dewalt 20v Lithium drill driver / impact combo a few years ago. I run a handyman business and those two are my bread and butter. Never an issue and long battery life. That said I have a Ryobi corded sawzall and its never let me down either. So yea for weekend warrior Ryobi should be fine.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  16. Oct 14, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Grossomotto

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Cordless is popular I know, just don’t like batteries. The one thing is if you’re remote you need power anyhow. Whichever the case, I’m just using at home so don’t mind the cords, getting some more air tools, as well.

Yeah Buckethead, 100+ albums and counting!

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    Rottencotton

Rottencotton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stinkin Rincon
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 2019 Tacoma SR 4x4
    I have to be different, all my cordless tools are 20v Porter Cable. Never had a problem with any of them. They work great.

For rotating the tires, several years ago I ran across a deal on a DeWalt air impact driver. Nothing better in my opinion. Had a Harbor Freight driver before that and it was garbage. I had to loosen lug nuts by hand before the impact driver would take them off. Always had tightened them just to be sure because I didn't trust the HF. No such problems with the DeWalt.

In summary, Harbor Freight air tools are garbage, don't waste your money. Porter Cable tools work great for me. I've never owned a Dewalt cordless tool but I'm sure they're great too, just over priced. I had Ryobi in the past but the batteries sucked. That's why I never bought Ryobi again.

Hamer95USA and Thatbassguy like this.
  18. Nov 2, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    Grossomotto

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  19. Nov 2, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    ElevatorEd

ElevatorEd Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd Pro Army Green SB
    If your just getting an impact driver, ryobi will be fine. I've used them on several jobs they work ok and are good cheap tools for driving screws, drilling up to 1/2 holes, and on up to 3/4 inch hardware. (you will need to hand wrench it to achieve proper tightness though on the bigger stuff)

Personally I've been using makita and milwaukees cordless stuff. My white makita 18v cordless set has been running strong for over 12 years now, ever since I got it on a holiday sale at home depot, the batteries have held a good charge on them, I'm still using the oem set which I would have thought would have only lasted around 5 years. For work I'm running milwaukee, they have a great eco system of tools. Plus the company pays for them, I like the newer impact that can auto sense the amount of power needed to drive screws. Not a necessity but its a nice feature to have. Most of the time when drilling or using an impact I use the m12 set. Super light and compact with plenty of power. The depot will often have it on sale around this time of year. Amazon usually has a good price on them also.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-El...words=milwaukee+m12+set&qid=1572704916&sr=8-1

20. Nov 2, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    I’m have the Milwaukee M18 system, and it’s been rock solid for me. I’m driving 3 different impacts (1/4 drive, and both mid & high torque 1/2) and a 3/8 drill. They are used mostly as DIY/Weekend Warrior type roles, but occasionally they make a road trip and get ran professionally for a week or two at a time. I’m using the same two batteries and charger that came with the original kit some years ago, and they still work great. YMMV.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top