1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

diagnosing front end squeak

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HerNameIsLucy, May 11, 2010.

1. May 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy [OP] I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    How would you diagnose a front end squeak? It only happens on bumps. It's for sure on the drivers side and up front.

No way I can think of other than putting a jack under the bottom arm and raising / lowering it several times, with my head under the truck. Or have someone run really really fast next to me driving over bumps.

There's nothing under there to grease (no zerks) and the ball joints and tie rods seem fine, no slack.

2. May 12, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Gonna bump this up one time, see if anyone has any ideas. One occurred to me, I can use WD40 and a straw to selectively lube things on that corner and see what makes the squeak stop. Any more ideas?

3. May 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Have a friend push down on the front, while you nose around in the area. If the squeek cannot be easilly identified, use a long screw driver, or pipe, and put it against your ear (handle to ear if useing screw driver), and place the other end on the suspected problem area. Move it around until you can pin pint it. :)

4. May 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Another thing to try, is after a drive, touch different spots, to see if one spot is more warm than the others. Also, You can put your hand on parts, while your friend pushes down, and feel for the vibration of the squeek.

5. May 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Thanks Chris. Unfortunately it won't squeak with just pushing on the front end (that would be too easy :mad:).

I'm stuck at work until about 2AM again so tracking it down will be a saturday project. It's just frustrating, here I am cruising down the road in my spiffed up Taco, thinking I'm looking good, and the rest of the world is going "wtf is that squeak?" LOL

6. May 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Not sure if its the same thing but there is a squeak on the front end of my truck which I think is related to the front bumper TSB. The aluminum mounts on it are the cause. If its more of a creak than a squeak....if that makes sense lol. A fellow Taco owner welded up the entire bumper at every seam, reinstalled it and the creak was still there. He ended up getting a mild steel one fabed up and it fixed the problem. I made rubber gasket and placed them between the mount and frame and its still there. Its something to do with the choice of materials Toyota used..
    The dealership said it was the source of my issues but wouldnt cover it because im out of warranty. The TSB mounts arnt cheap..

7. May 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Sorry ,man. Didnt realize you running a first gen. It was worth a shot :D

8. May 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.

hell yeah, at this point i'll try anything! thanks!

To Top