1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by lshammer, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    lshammer

lshammer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    13 Dbl cab
    Any info on installing a Diamondback HD or 270 tonneau cover on a 2013 Tacoma dbl cab? Various websites advise to remove the bad caps and rails, others state either cover can be installed w' the bed as is. Diamondback website offers an install manual w/o specifics for a 2013. Really like the looks of the cover, not thrilled w' the lack of available info. Thanks

2. Dec 17, 2014 at 11:11 PM
    Jector11

Jector11 New Member

Member:
    Roseville
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC SHB OFRP
    Did you every get info on this?

Im looking at either the SE or LT. The guy at diamondback and the installation manual say holes need to be drilled. is there away around that?

I have seen some places that the rails need to be taken off and other places don't mention it.

3. Dec 18, 2014 at 1:45 AM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road package in Magnetic Gray
    Keyless POP-N-Lock tailgate lock, Weather Tech Mats, Diamondback tonneau cover SE
    I too been reading into this finding very little, I been looking at the SE model. For my 2014 Tacoma ORDC short bed

What I have found is they sell the tonneau covers with hardware for the rail system. Here is a link to there website download the owners manual for install it shows different hardware for use with Tacoma it also mentions how to install the cover. You do have to drill in order to get the cover to lock correctly or is recommended. I would say the bed caps should come off as they will eventually crack with X amount of weight. Not to mention the back and front dip down from the bed cap. Might not be an issue, with the trim could fit just fine, maybe others can chime in what they had to do for proper install.
    Link to owners manual:
    http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/ownersguides.php

I'm looking to order in two weeks, they are currently running sales for these seems like this is the only time of year I see it on sale!

4. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:46 PM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Keyless POP-N-Lock tailgate lock, Weather Tech Mats, Diamondback tonneau cover SE
    Ordered a SE ill do a review on it once i get it, should be here end of january.

5. Feb 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    cjoker

cjoker Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brent
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Salex console & glove box organizer, front window tint, steelie phone mount, G-Tek Sill Protectors - carbide black & diamond plate, WeatherTek digital fit mats, LED Map and Dome lights
    Have you installed the tonneau cover yet? I'm debating whether to get one or go with solid fold.

6. Feb 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yeah got it will post review here shortly sorry been a crazy month at work!

Attached a teaser pic will mention you do have to drill two wholes for the lock by the tail gate But its not bad comes with grommets.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. Feb 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Have had my diamondback truck cover for about a month now happy I got it. I needed something that was tough and secure when transporting gear, but something that could be taken off when I needed. I bought the SE can hold 400lb on top with tie downs I don’t have an ATV so it was pointless to by the HD in my situation. I did have it line-x since it matches better to my truck I think.

Will warn you cover comes on a huge extra-long pallet, its 140.00 to the closest hub or business they or you can find. Just before my cover shipped they offered to residential for 150.00 might check and see if this rate still applies when you order. For me ten bucks was a no brainier.

[​IMG]

Over all I love the cover for the things I plan to do with it. Since I can transport the gear I need knowing I can lock it. This was my way of getting a truck vault without spending 4,000+ or as close as I can get at 1/4th the price. It’s nice to know it’s locked and there are no windows or ability to see what’s inside. You will need to add a Pop-n-lock or some other tail gate lock in order to have everything secure.

Some notes on install!
    Have two people to install, doing this by yourself for the first time is a PITA since everything is new there is a little bit of fitting and adjustment that 4 hands make easy compared to two. Cover mounts right to your bed rails just bolts right on. I will mention since the 2014 rails have slots cut every inch or two makes sliding the clamps forward to back difficult also it may clamp on at an angle so you might have to adjust the clamp to make it square and or even pressure.
    [​IMG]
    note i cut the weather tubing at an angle to try and get as much sealed between the cover and the bed rails.

[​IMG] you use the rails for the back of the bed bar lock by the cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

used paint to figure out where to drill the other two locking points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to keep my bed rails on due to the clamp mount, can’t be torqued down that fare it bottoms out and is currently bottomed out or close to it. when it gets warmer ill post some pictures! say’s torque to 25 foot lb but just starting at 10ftlb I am bottomed out or out of thread on the bolt and the plastic rail is bending slightly I may upgrade rails or remove depending on how it looks here in a couple months or when its warmer. Currently I have the topper torqued to 10 ft lb I have gone back and check it after 100 miles just to be sure. But any more and I would be breaking the bolts or the rails cracking.

All in all very happy with the outcome, I like how the topper sits a little higher, giving me what I was wanting.

coop, will go through and edit this as i go!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  8. Feb 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    cjoker

cjoker Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brent
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Salex console & glove box organizer, front window tint, steelie phone mount, G-Tek Sill Protectors - carbide black & diamond plate, WeatherTek digital fit mats, LED Map and Dome lights
    Thanks a lot! Answers a lot of questions.

Is your truck Spruce Mica as well? I definitely will be getting the LineX option.

9. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
To Top