1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dick's Sporting Goods new store sells AR's

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Teniente, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    EZ Bake

EZ Bake Active Member

Member:
    South of Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double-Cab TRD Sport
  2. Aug 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Firearm sales might make up a fraction of total revenue, but those same people who buy firearms also buy ammo, accessories, probably hunting gear, fishing stuff, probably have kids that play sports, etc etc.

By essentially saying "We don't want your gun business" consumers told Dicks to fuck off. Here in Western PA (where the new Field and Stream store is) there are plenty of competitors. Want Hiking/Camping stuff? REI & LLBean. Dunhams continued to sell EBRs, and there are plenty of smaller fitness related businesses. Plus Cabelas is only about an hour away from the new Field and Stream store, just with a better environment and better prices.

If you are an EBR owner and choose to support the people who are against you, so be it.

3. Sep 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Or...

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1089063/000110465913019027/a13-7103_1ex99d1.htm

4. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...your assessment is quite plausible, ...but my contention is that they screwed over the gun-rights advocates, AND, a firearms vendor, Troy, who'm they were contracted w/ to sell their evil black rifles... Those of us who realize this, and to those of us whom it "does matter", we will vote w/ our wallets, and buy from the myriad of other vendors who don't tuck tail when the going gets tough... ;) ...as for the "low information gun buyers", ...well, they probably will buy evil black rifles from dicks sporting goods...

5. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Firearm snobbery. Interesting.

Seems kinda counter-productive, though.

6. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    Buy my firearms from local small business gun dealers. The ones with the NRA sticker on the door, the ability to assist you for as long as you own the gun and do not hide in the closet when the media knocks at his door.

7. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    If the media knocks on your door, tweet it. Twitter has taken down nations, you think it won't stop a gun grab?

*I do not have a Twitter presence.

8. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Magnetic Gray Double Cab
    When the issue got hot, Dicks punted... we'll they also punted any future business they'd get from me.

9. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    snobbery?... :confused:

...more like staying true to core values... these are simply the basic tools of the trade in the culture war... it worked for shutting down the eastern sports show earlier this year... unprecedented... ;)

10. Sep 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I was referring to the "low-information gun buyer," quip.

I completely understand the core values aspect, and that a person becomes more invested in certain areas (firearms, cars, bungee jumping, dogs, you name it) they become more educated about the culture of said endeavor. You learn the quality products and services, exchange information with others with common interests and grow from there.

It's is counter-productive, however, to turn your nose up at the "low-information" purchaser because the object should be to educate them -- but they have to get their foot in the door before that can happen. Not everyone has the knowledge to build their own rifle, or the expendable income to buy a $2000 LMT off the bat.

Everyone has to start somewhere. For that person, Dick's may have been the most convenient, or lowest-priced. To look down on someone because they're "not educated" in the world of 2nd Amendment politics doesn't do much to welcome new people to the fold who will most likely someday actually become educated and and ally.

That's all. Sometimes people have to figure out what their core values are before they can stay true to them.

11. Sep 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Magnetic Gray Double Cab
    Nobody is criticizing the low information gun buyer, just saying that Dicks will get their sales from those not totally in tune with the company's politics.

That's how Dick's can get back into the market.

Smart buyer's can find quality EBRs for less than 2Gs at other outlets than Dicks.

12. Sep 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    ...agree, ...but i think our "beef" is more or less w/ dicks sporting goods, ...not w/ folks shopping there...

13. Sep 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Of course they can. And lots of companies make sales from people who are unaware of their politics. Or don't care.

But if you aren't shopping at Dick's, then where's the beef? (Sorry, had to).

It's like me throwing a fit over Chik-Fil-A's policies. But I don't buy or eat Chik-Fil-A, so it's kind of wasted exercise after that. Unless I want to bang a drum, then, meh. I'm not the protesting type...

All the hubbub just seems like a paper tiger. You're voting with your wallet, and others will continue to shop there. And the world will continue to turn, until, I guess it doesn't.

Products Discussed in

To Top