1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did you attend college?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Agent475, Oct 28, 2008.

?

Did you attend college?

1. Yes

505 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Still Attending

229 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Planning to Attend

62 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Want to attend, but cannot

6 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Na, joined Military

37 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Yes, joined Military

65 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    As a Professional Engineer with a BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois, I have to disagree with that... The bump in salary from my stamp has paid for my education and then some.

2. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    Well in the world of automation, only 75% of the ME acutally have a degree. The salary sucks in this field anyways. I started at ~$14/hr.

3. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:15 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    that's weird. Most of the people in my class at LSU took the FE and most of the ME's passed it. After 5 years of working under a PE, you are eligible to take the PE. I believe the requirements to be a PE include passing the FE. The requirement to have your FE is getting a degree in engineering.

4. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    did you start in the 70s??? :eek:

All I'm saying is that the average earning potential with an engineering degree is going to be much greater than without.

5. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I started at $14/hr too, but I was willing to take just about anything to get my foot in the door in a job here in CO. I got a sizable raise pretty quickly though. I'm in consulting, so the stamp has increased my billable rate by about 15%, which I've been rewarded for with in some pretty nice bonuses from my employer... Unfortunately, the bonuses might take a hit this year due to the economy, but we've been somewhat fortunate in that we've been able to land some municipal contracts.

6. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:22 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling

ha, no just a crappy company. I've since moved on and make over twice as much now. but my technical title is project engineer (so an ME and project manager)

7. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    that was the same thing for me. When I graudated from madison I packed up and moved out to Boulder without a job, I did landscaping and worked at a hockey rink for 6 months. Got my foot in the door and moved up from there.

where do you work TacoCo?

8. Nov 26, 2008 at 9:49 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I work in the Vail area. I did something similar... moved out here without a job, and waited tables for about a month. Saw a couple of ads for civil engineers in the paper, sent out my resume, and landed one of them.

9. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:08 AM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    BS in Mech. Eng. in 2004
    FE in 2004
    MS in Mech. Eng. in 2007
    Due for the PE now, but it won't get me anywhere in my field.

Sick of school, but who knows if I'll go back...

10. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    2003 August - 2004 Jan~ University of Maryland Baltimore County Earned 3 Credits GPA 1.67

Aug 2004 - Dec 2004 ~ Harrisburg Area Community College Earned 6-8 Credits.. cant remember

Currently Attending Campbell University (Pope AFB Campus)/ CCAF I have 42/64 Credits Towards my CCAF Associates

20Credits Towards my Bachlors Degree from Campbell

11. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I'm still not sure that I understand the PE thing for mechanical engineers... It would certainly enable you to setup a consulting practice, and if you can specialize in green technologies and renewable energy, I would think it would open all kinds of doors for you. Our county's new development guidelines pretty much require developers to use renewable energy sources wherever possible, otherwise they pay ridiculous building permit fees, which far exceed the cost to implement something like a solar collection system.

12. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    I did an internship while in school at a local HVAC firm. Those ME's needed their PE. Outside of that, there isn't much need for me to have one. I worked for the Army for a while and didn't need it. Working in the automotive field now, I don't need it either.

I plan on taking the test if I can ever set aside time to study since I'd like to have more options than less. But you're right...not needed for most ME's. Just another way to waste a Saturday and a couple hundred dollars.

13. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I still think it's gotta be worth doing, but I've encountered the same attitude about it from a lot of my civil engineer colleagues. I studied about 3 months for my PE exam, but looking back on it, I definitely over-studied. The test was much easier than I anticipated.

I didn't get my PE license as soon as I had the experience requirement covered, and I kinda regret it. I'd have been making a lot more money had I done it as soon as possible. Even if you don't need it in your current endeavors, I think it would be nice to have on your resume when/if your situation changes down the road.

14. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:48 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have never attended college. But my money goes to college. I'm sending my second child to the University of North Florida and my third to Florida Community College of Jacksonville. Hopefully I can send more money to Florida State when my 5th goes there in 4 more years.

15. Nov 26, 2008 at 10:55 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I should say that I support going to college, if not for the education, for the contacts you make in college. Things come much easier for me since I got a degree.

More bullets you can put on the resume the more money you'll make. If you want a PE, get one! I don't plan on staying a ME for long. But I plan on working for those type of companies as a manager, not a engineer. So I wanted a degree, but a PE is not where I see my career heading

16. Nov 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    I was just graduated in April from The Uiversity of Pittsburgh at Johnstown with my MET and a minor in physics. I am salaried here with full benefits, 401(k) and all that shtuff.

Actually you can take the Fundamentals of Engineering to be an Engineer-in-Training with no engineering degree. I imagine this would be pretty tough. I did not pass mine the first time around but did not even study nor think about it prior. I was too caught up on senior design projects and finals.

My current job wants me to take my FE again, pass it and then expects me to test for PE immediately after that (I am replacing our one-and-only ME PE as chief engineer on pilot plants next year. My director keeps forgetting about the 5 years of practice.) I am currently an "associate engineer." This is a lot of responsibility and I'm not even sure if I want the PE for all the liability that comes with it. They will also send me back to graduate school. I will most likely do this to pursue my MBA. This is a much faster track through my company as we hardly do any in-house engineering. Everyone tells me I would make a kickass VP, CEO, Director et cetera.

17. Nov 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I stand corrected. You do not need a degree to take the FE. I flipped through the formula book prior to the exam, but that was the extent of my studying. I was planning on failing, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that I passed. It is graded on a scale, so I guess a lot of other folks did really bad that time.

18. Nov 26, 2008 at 1:19 PM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    It was a truly aweful test. I also didn't study, but I took it during the second semester of my senior year so some stuff was still fresh. After the general section in the AM, I was flying high. I started the ME section after lunch and all confidence was lost...switched to the general section again and finished off the test. I was so convinced I failed, I stopped halfway through and left most of them blank. No idea how I passed that section. I guess I should have actually tried harder...then again, I passed and that is all that matters :D

19. Nov 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that was about the extent of my studying for it... Flipped through the equation book, made sure that I knew how to apply the equations and that was about it. I can't remember the exact numbers, but there were something like 3 out of 900 that didn't pass the EIT exam (what it was called back then) at my school when I took it... Must have sucked to be them.

20. Nov 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    Currently, enlisted in NG. and was attending WOU/CCC 2005-2008 here in Oregon. After 2 1/2 years left college and joined the military, I will finish when I get out. I was studying for a BA in business entrepaneurship, minor in integrated media.

Products Discussed in

To Top