1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diesel finally coming in 3rd gen ....

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by PROseur, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    It has the capability, but finishes dead last among the competition. Toyota clearly set their sights on competing directly with the F-150 and nothing more when producing the Tundra. These charts are telling:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link to the full test here: https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/half-ton-shootout-5-trucks-5-days-1-winner/

2. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    PROseur

PROseur [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJC TTSE/ 2001 Taliban Poverty DCSB/ 2017 6MT PRO / 2018 2.7L SR Utility
    Yup. Beno got the scoop

It’s confirmed for 2019

Friggin Fuego likes this.
  3. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    PROseur

PROseur [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJC TTSE/ 2001 Taliban Poverty DCSB/ 2017 6MT PRO / 2018 2.7L SR Utility
    It is not the Tundra

4. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    What a silly chart lol. The 5.0 L Ford engine isn't built to compete with any of those engines listed. The Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost is lol. I hope to god Toyota doesn't build their top engine option to meet one of Fords mid level engines.

95 taco likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Toyota hasn't had as much luck selling Tundras into the fleet market as their competition has. Given that the HD trucks are predominantly fleet owned I think Toyota has made a smart decision staying out of that market for the time being.

PROseur[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    The ecoboost has more power than the 5.0, and has better payload and towing capacities, I think it's kind of pitiful that the tundra's payload is ~30% lower than the f150

Front sight and Sterdog like this.
  7. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I'm glad someone else caught this. It's a chart comparing the small V8 option from Ford to everyone elses top end high displacement high output engine lol.

8. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    whats the big deal with having a DIESEL in a Toyota truck, they have been selling gasoline burning small/mid sized trucks since 1979 in this country faster than they can build them and the price of gasoline is going down to almost $2 per gallon and is cheaper to burn and easier to acquire than diesel, I don't get this mythical attraction to having a diesel, the majority of Toyota truck owners don't use them for heavy hauling or as a predominately work based truck, mostly are used as daily drivers with light hauling and 4 wheeling option, neither of which require a Diesel.

02Duck likes this.
  9. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Lots of potential buyers and Toyota fans are stuck in the midset that, somehow, they are going to save thousands of dollars by owning a Diesel. Obviously anyone who has actually owned, paid for, and maintained a Diesel truck will tell you that is not the case with modern Diesel engines. Whatever you gain in mileage you lose in maintenance and initial cost for the average driver.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Front sight, Marcoc, 02Duck and 2 others like this.
  10. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    BillyToy

BillyToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    Sorry guys. I have the scoop. It's actually a diesel Yaris pusher.

BillsSR5 and 95 taco like this.
  11. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    MadRiverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    You're right, I didn't catch that they were testing the 5.0L version. This is a more apples to apples comparison of each truck's abilities: http://fifthwheelst.com/2017-half-ton-truck-towing.html

The Tundra's numbers are underwhelming here as well.

12. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:36 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Technically the 5.0 is the biggest (and only) v8 in the ford half ton, but the 3.5 Ecoboost outperforms the 5.0 in every facet.

The biggest maintenance items on diesels are fuel filters, oil changes and filters, draining fuel/water separator at every oil change, and checking the oil filter, very rarely do the diesels have internal issues before 300K if not 400K, the biggest issues now come with the EGR and DPF/SCR systems which can be deleted, as technology progresses they will work the bugs out of the systems but once my Ram 3500 (Work vehicle) has issues with the DEF/SCR system it will be removed.

SOSC and PROseur[OP] like this.
  13. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:37 AM
    MadRiverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    Maybe, maybe not. I'd say there are quite a bit of non-fleet owned HD trucks on the roads. At least in my neck of the woods.

14. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    100% correct, I work in the heavy equipment industry and everything you mentioned is true as far as costs of maintainence,cold weather issues etc, whereas a gas burning engine fits the bill for low maintaince, DIY maintainence, and the overall cost is better,and gas is easier to find most times there honestly no real hard reasons for a diesel for use as a DD/weekend warior, unless its for a heavy duty construction vehicle that uses the same fuel as the machinery in a construction company.

15. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Our workfleet is all Ford. I'm very aware of the differences between engines. IMHO the 2.7 L Ecoboost outperforms the 5.0 L as well. The 5.0 L is still there to appeal to fans of V8 engines over Fords boosted lineup.

95 taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    There's definitely a market for privately owned HD trucks, but keep in mind now Ford, Toyota, and others sell more 1/2 ton trucks now into the market as daily drivers than they do as true work vehicles. Once you go to the 3/4 tons, that market flips heavily the other way. Sure, some people would buy a Toyota heavy duty. After the costs of developing it though I seriously question whether Toyota can make as much money on one in a very limited market compared to simply making more Tacomas and gas job Tundras. The market is so much more favorable for Toyota in the lighter trucks I can't see Toyota selling a HD unless they are planning a strategy to capture more fleet market share overall.

17. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    I see lots of guys where I work in heavy equipment using HD Ford,Dodge,Chevy diesels as everyday drivers just because there is this sense of bravado in the sound and rolling coal down the highway but that's all it is bravado all they haul is a boney ass and a lunch box, but hey its a free country. Most of them will get there layoff notices in the winter and trade the diesel in for a beater car or a Toyota when they cant afford to pay for the drive to the grocery store no more.

18. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    I don't believe it's anything for the N. American market

BillsSR5 likes this.
  19. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Nyet. None that I know of at the moment.

20. Dec 11, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    MadRiverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    'Murica :oldglory:

Fortunt1 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top