1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diesel-gate continues... VW, Fiat-Chrysler, and now GM another victim?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Toyko Joe, May 25, 2017.

1. May 25, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    jsey21

jsey21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma Sport DCSB V6 4x2
    OVTuned https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rear-diff-vent-behind-the-tail-light-mod.286097/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rust-on-frame-with-a-c-drain-mod-fix.444138/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ultimate-led-turn-signals.486423/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/premium-audio-upgrade-for-less-than-250.510424/
    Ok, I'll take your word for it, but I somehow doubt that is always happening. I hope they are doing that, but I just have my doubts that it is really 100%.

2. May 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    Definitely hazardous to your health when hooking up equipment in the machine shed. I breathed my share of those particles too. Now that I'm an old guy I'm kind of wishing I hadn't but you can't turn back time. Too bad we didn't know then what we know now. That's why we shouldn't let deadbeat cheaters off the hook.

3. May 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    Too valuable to landfill.

4. May 25, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    Penten

Penten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Iowa
    True , I suppose I thought we were talking on the premise that EPA standards are too strict so companies are cheating and the consumer isn't having it . Now I understand that it's a firm going out on its own but they very well could be consumers so I would take it as them looking out for others . Granted as a law firm compensation is probably more so the name of the game than environmental protection.

5. May 25, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    My $0.02. I have driven through the Palm Springs area at times when you COULD NOT SEE the mountains on either side of the interstate due to the glop in the air, and I have driven across the George Washington Bridge when you literally could NOT see one end of the bridge from the other due to the pollution. Anything that will help to clean up and improve the air quality to prevent that from happening again is worth the minor inconvenience that it causes most people in my book. And yes, I drove a semi for YEARS, from the days of the smokers that looked like a steam locomotive, up to clean-burn diesels in semis that barely put out any glop at all.
    P.S. Toyota HAS a diesel that could fit in a Tacoma. it's in the Hilux right now. It's just not worth cost to bring it to U.S.Spec for the total sales it would generate.

6. May 25, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    Louie Bricants

Louie Bricants Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Pro, white 6MT
    Loved my TDI sportwagen zero issues in 170k miles. They made a buy back offer I couldn't refuse and I thought was excessive for my mileage. Also have a 3.0 TDI Touareg, they are paying ample money to me as an owner, extended warranty and a "fix". In addition Bosch has a secondary settlement which will net a good amount of payback as well for both vehicles. Ive been extremely happy about the outcome.

7. May 25, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    No. I read nothing.

m3bassman[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 25, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    sogafarm

sogafarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma reg cab spruce mica
    31" Falkon wild peak AT's, fat bobs lift, mud accents
    I dont think anyone wants to go back to acid rain, etc. Just quit passing industry destroying new tier level demands every couple of years. Farmers already cant keep up with the new and unreliable tractors coming out with all the DEF requirements. John Deere Techs charge $$$$ bucks to come out to fix them when they break down in the field when the sensors go bad. Cant work on them yourself anymore because of all the new emissions software involved. And in regards to the EPA and rivers, have you drank water from the Animas River lately. EPA contractors destroyed it in 2015.

BDL5589 likes this.
  9. May 25, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Limey1795

Limey1795 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hilarious reading all the post from people saying "fuck the EPA" but never considering that the automotive companies are cutting corners so they can give their execs millions in bonuses all the while charging us the consumer 40k, 50k, 60k for a truck.

The EPA are not the enemy, they set standards that the companies try to by pass by cheating in an effort to screw us and line their already fat bank accounts.

I say fuck GM, fuck Ford, fuck VW etc.

DustStorm4x4, T4RFTMFW and m3bassman like this.
  10. May 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    If you think the EPA was created to protect the environment you are as naive as the rest of them.

Yeah F the companies that employ millions of people, should just hand the auto companies over to government to run, then all the problems will be solved.

And your beloved cafe standards can be directly related to thousands of automotive related deaths, small price to pay for "clean air"

BDL5589 likes this.
  11. May 25, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    This thread is retarded.

Limey1795, DustStorm4x4 and Nedrolls like this.
  12. May 25, 2017 at 3:40 PM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    Heavy equip/tractors are hit really hard. The components are crazy expensive, and there's so many. DEF pumps and fittings that shit the bed, particulate filters that cost as much as my truck. Dedicated ecms to manage exhaust temp, urea volume, nox sensor values... these things die daily. Faulty 7th injectors, little random events where if your exhaust shroud is even minutely torn up the ecu won't allow a regen throwing the vehicle into derate. There is an exhausting amount of parameters that need to be maintained. And really all I wanted to say was fucka turbo. That's the thing about Diesel engines. You're married to the turbo. And they will die. And you will need to replace them. I'd rather enjoy my gasser and not have to sweat an expensive component just itching to grenade.

sogafarm[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 25, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    Sedyn

Sedyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vancouver, BC / Sumas, WA
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Pro, Cement.
    \

And that is why after 6 TDI Jettas in 20 years, over a million miles, I will be getting my first Tacoma.

IMO regulation will destroy the diesel.

14. May 25, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    TejasTaco

TejasTaco Grab a taco

Member:
    I'm talking about stinking up the roadways. Yuck!

15. May 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Bright side is that maybe there will be thousands of cheap TDI's on the market for swaps.

sogafarm likes this.
  16. May 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM
    Sedyn

Sedyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Pro, Cement.
    There are cheap ones here. The issue is they cannot be taken back to the dealer, ever. If you go back they will force the bullshit emissions stuff on you.

17. May 25, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Zactly. Jerk out the cheap diesel mill and stuff it into a pre-1985 Toyota PU with a solid axle or a SAS first gen and retune it. If someone needs to use the VW dealer for something like that they were in way over their heads to start

18. May 25, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    Sedyn

Sedyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Pro, Cement.
    Of course.

I have a 105 mile round trip for a commute. My goal was to buy a TDI, pay it off and use it as my commuter, then get my Taco and do with it whatever I wanted without concern how it would handle the commute.

Now that VW shitted up my plans, I need to expedite matters and get into a Taco, but it needs to handle my commute.

Getting a swap is possible, I've seen one done locally, but I'm not sure I would want to rely on it as my commuter. Might just have to get into another Jetta or Golf later.

19. Jun 14, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    BarcelonaTom67

BarcelonaTom67 Lost in Translation....

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Laurel County, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Off-Road DCSB M/T
    The fallacy here is precisely what the EnviroNazi asshats and liberal politicians want everyone to believe is the truth. Diesel engine emissions produce orders of magnitude fewer harmful chemicals than gasoline engine emissions. The only significantly harmful emission of diesel exhaust is Sulphur Dioxide, which can in certain circumstances contribute to "acid rain". The few other chemicals in diesel exhaust that are considered harmful are insignificant compared to the sulphur, and even that is nothing compared to the several hundred different components in gasoline exhaust, all of which are tremendously more potent and harmful that the sulphur component in diesel exhaust.

The big reason that most sheeple are easily led to believe that diesel exhaust is "bad", while gasoline exhaust is perfectly fine, is the significantly higher carbon content in diesel fuel, and therefore it's exhaust. The average person incorrectly believes if they can see a vehicles exhaust emissions, that's the worst thing in the world. You can see the carbon in a diesel's exhaust sometimes, so that's why government targets diesels so harshly.

The easiest way to demonstrate the extremely higher hazzards in gasoline exhaust than diesel exhausts, at least to those who were alive in the 60's and 70's, is the dramatic decrease in smog once lead was banned from gasoline in the U.S.. That had zero impact on diesel fuel, and therefore diesel exhaust's contribution to the environment. Even all the continued lowering of the sulphur content in diesel fuel sold in the U.S. has shown essentially no effect on air quality. I grew up in Los Angeles in the 60's and 70's, and I witnessed the dramatic change in air quality post leaded gasoline banning. It's still a cesspool, but far better than it was 40+ years ago.

And, most people who are not very familiar with diesel engine vehicles, have no idea of the many advantages of diesel vs gasoline power for transportation (people, freight, etc..), and so they are misled into thinking "diesel = bad; gasoline = wonderful". It's quite the opposite, in reality. Almost every other mechanized country on earth has known of the advantages of diesel over gasoline for decades. The influence of the environazi organizations, and no doubt other factors, have kept the U.S. hobbled for decades in this area.

SC2SC, Keep on Truckin' and sogafarm like this.
  20. Jun 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM
    sogafarm

sogafarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma reg cab spruce mica
    31" Falkon wild peak AT's, fat bobs lift, mud accents
    Well said.

Products Discussed in

To Top