1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diesel Heater powerbank issue

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by P8trit, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Nov 16, 2022 at 8:29 AM
    P8trit

P8trit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So my wife got a heater for our snow camps and I'm having issues with it running.
    Amazon.com: VEVOR Diesel Air Heater, 5KW 12V Parking Heater, Mini Truck Heater, Single Outlet Hole, with Black LCD, Remote Control, Fast Heating Diesel Heater, For RV Truck, Boat, Bus, Car Trailer, Motorhomes : Automotive

I have a GZ 500X that from research and video I think should power it.
    Goal Zero Yeti 500X Portable Power Station | New Lower Price!

Chinese diesel heater with goal zero 500x - YouTube

The heater works running of my taco but not my GZ so I'm confused on why I see it working online with other comparable power stations. Do I have a faulty GZ500x?

I'm looking at a
    BLUETTI AC200P Portable Power Station | 2,000W 2,000Wh (bluettipower.com)
    But When I see that the car port is 12v 10A I worry if it two would fail as my 500x is the same at the carport.

Any thoughts or help, Thanks TW

2. Nov 16, 2022 at 8:41 AM
    StellaHolland

StellaHolland New Holland Overland (Holland, MI)

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Holland, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    King 2.5 custom valved Milestar A/T Pro 285/70/17 on Method 702's New Holland Overland custom front bumper, roof rack, sliders & skids Mix of Diode Dynamics & Baja Lights 5.29's w/ KDMAX tune Skinny Guy Camper Bare Bones w/ Alu-Cab 180 Awning Freedom Retrofit custom headlights ... & So. Much. More
    Your GZ 500X most likely isnt faulty, but your probably drawing too much from the heater for the port your using on the GZ and it wont work. The heaters can pull some big amps (8-10+ amps) when igniting the glow plug, and once started and running it dials down to low amp's (.55-.85amps).

If your GZ 12v port is only 10amp thats more than likely not enough and is the reason its not working. You need at least a 15-20amp port to get the heater started.

jberry813 and ready6delta like this.
  3. Nov 16, 2022 at 8:49 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    I wonder why it works with others, Just seems odd mine needs needs more amp.
    Am I correct that a bigger powerbank isn't going to help unless I find with a higher 12v port?
    Thanks for your help

4. Nov 16, 2022 at 10:25 AM
    MR5X5

MR5X5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think StellaH is on the right track. I'm assuming the GZ 12V port has a breaker or fuse?? If it does and it is not blown then that is not the issue at this time. I found my diesel heater sensitive to wire length - as wire length knocks down voltage. What gauge wire are you running at what distance. See the link below for what size wire you need. Assume 10 amps for the starting cycle.

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

StellaHolland likes this.
  5. Nov 16, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    P8trit

Member:
    16gauge and it's only 5-6ft.
    When I power the DH on, the fan kicks on and 2sec later it shuts down. My GZ500x trips (shuts off, reboots) and then power is back.

6. Nov 17, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    MR5X5

MR5X5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ...Your wire is marginal for 10 amps, but not too bad.... That does sound like the GZ being overloaded. I'm assuming the heater is not throwing a code? An ugly work around, but what if you split the GZ end of your pwr cable out to pick up both of the GZ 12V taps. Seems worth a try, should not hurt the GZ...

Edit: Reading more on the GZ, one of the 12V taps is regulated, the other is not. The affect this will have is beyond my electrical know how. Seems like the potential for an imbalance at the supply side?? Stills seems worth a try. The GZ should protect itself if this turns out to a stupid approach...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    P8trit[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 17, 2022 at 8:40 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    I'm actually trying to return. I think I have a faulty heater as everything I've read or watched shows it should work with my set up. I already placed another order so hopefully they take this one back but if not I will build it into my garage heater using my old truck batteries.
    I'll keep you posted on the new heater once it arrives.

8. Jan 11, 2023 at 8:34 AM
    Tacomags

Tacomags Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    17" 4Runner wheels, 32" Nittos, Dobinsons IMS, RRW sliders, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, custom seat delete, Decked, Super Pacific X1
    Any update on this? Have you gotten the new unit to work on the GZ 500?

9. Jan 11, 2023 at 9:55 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    I did get a new unit but had the same results with my GZ500 which really chaps my butt. I ended up just using a truck battery that has worked without issues. Did an overnight camp with temps in the teens, running heater for 14hrs.

10. Jan 11, 2023 at 10:29 AM
    Tacomags

Tacomags Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    17" 4Runner wheels, 32" Nittos, Dobinsons IMS, RRW sliders, Total Chaos bed stiffeners, custom seat delete, Decked, Super Pacific X1
    thats what I was afraid of, sorry to hear that. i'm in the same boat and now contemplating building a dual battery system with a 100ah battery, dc to dc charger to start.

11. Jan 11, 2023 at 10:40 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    Thats what I'll do doing and why I got a battery to use till I get everything to build my battery bank. I planned on doing down the road but this has pushed it to the top of the list.

12. Jan 11, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    ginseng27

ginseng27 who knows?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR
    not enough.
    I have that exact heater wired up to my ecoflow river max's 12v power supply. Correct soldering and wiring to the car socket and it runs just fine. It definitely draws high loads while starting up but once it's going, no problems. I haven't used it int eh wild but I've run it in my garage (exhausting out) to test it and keep myself warm while working on a few things in my small garage. Haven't had issues other than small smell which I'm sure is just stuff breaking in and settling.

correction: not the exact heater but VERY similar. just different brand which i'm assuming is just...same heater. lol.

13. Jan 11, 2023 at 10:48 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    I've seen several people using powerbanks without issue but for some reason my GZ500 cant manage it even tho I've seen video of it working. In the long run I do feel a dual battery set up is best as the powerbanks seem to run low on power after 1 night of use in the cold.
    I've also used mine in the garage and it works well. The smell seems to go away after using if a few time.

14. Jan 11, 2023 at 11:01 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Wonder if its temp related? The page says temp range is 32-104*F on that unit.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with the power block though. Run the heater off a regular battery. If running it off the truck battery, carry one of those small jump packs with you just in case. Could even install a small AGM right next to the heater. Then just put it on a good AGM charger at home. Think I saw someone doing that last year, but cant recall where

15. Jan 11, 2023 at 11:17 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    Thats what I ment by truck battery, I have it's own battery and I just charge once home but will be setting up a dual battery in the truck to run it and other camp lights.

16. Jan 11, 2023 at 11:35 AM
    Gutentight

Gutentight Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Off-Road 4x4 DCSB 3.5L AT
    You could try using a relay to make a wire harness from the truck to switched NO with trigger tied to truck accessory +, and battery bank to NC terminal. Could start it on the truck with high draw, and maybe keep it going during the switch over?

17. Feb 25, 2023 at 9:56 PM
    2G_taco18

2G_taco18 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off Road
    I have the exact same diesel heater and I'm having the same issue paired with my Jackery 1000. Once you press the on button on the diesel heater it would flicker and shut down and come back in the on position (not with the heater powered on.)

People are using a Jackery 500 and it works just fine so I don't see why a Jackery 1000 with more power wouldn't work. If I plug the diesel heater in the truck it works just fine, but this means draining the truck battery and I wouldn't want the truck running just to power the heater.

There are two common types of the vevor diesel heater the tall skinny one and the smaller box looking one. People running the tall skinny diesel heaters don't seem to have this issue. The box looking one are suppose to be the newer version, but it's the one with this issue.

I paired the heater with my buddy's Ecoflow (I think the 500 or 600 ecoflow can't remember) and it runs just fine with no issues.

Already tried the 12v 10amp, 15amp, 30amp wires with no luck. Bought an AC to 12v DC converter plug from Amazon that I'll try tomorrow to see if it'll do the trick.

Glockster22 and P8trit[OP] like this.
  18. Mar 1, 2023 at 9:37 AM
    rogerramsey

rogerramsey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Vehicle:
    Previa
    I also have the same issue and wonder if it is the fault of the Jackery not producing proper amps.
    My meter says it’s delivering 13 volts. So strange. Heater works fine on regular 12 volt battery

P8trit[OP] likes this.
  19. Mar 1, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    P8trit

Member:
    I think not all banks are created equal even if they are the same brand and size. I now have 2 diesel heaters and neither will work on my GZ500 but no problem on a normal truck battery. Annoying to have to carry power bank and a spare truck battery but I guess it's a fair trade to sleep warm in the snow.

20. Mar 1, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    rogerramsey

rogerramsey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Vehicle:
    Previa
    So my work around is running wires to the car battery and connecting them to the circuit which is connected to the diesel heater and Jackery. I put a switch on the wire going to the positive terminal of the car battery.
    After the heater is up and running I flip on the Jackery 12 volt outlet and then switch off the switch going to the car battery.
    The heater runs fine then on the Jackery. Bummer that this extra step is required, but at least it’s all working

PopishMetalFab and P8trit[OP] like this.
To Top