1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIESEL MOD GONE WRONG

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TPain, Sep 30, 2013.

?

Which one?

1. Left

2.8%
  2. Center

3.3%
  3. Right

5.0%
  4. Dual (custom y-pipe)

13.8%
  5. Through Hood

75.1%
  1. Oct 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not as well as what I did; I do paint work and got a bunch of leftover lacquer from over the years just sitting around. It's hard to get rid of that shit, you pour it in the gutter and the neighbors get all pissy and come over and yell. I read your thing and thought, what the hell, brand new Taco (2500 on the clock) so let's get this process started early on.

Started off good enough but I tell you when I hit a 50/50 blend my mild-mannered Taco became totally beast and just took off. I was going through a set of tires a week. At that point I was done fucking around and I was starting to run low on lacquer so I just filled the tank up with the stuff. Thing was howling like a coyote on meth, so I got out just to make sure that the smoke was black like it's supposed to be but it wasn't, no smoke at all actually, but flame was coming out of the tailpipe which I thought was the coolest thing ever. I guess it fell into gear or something because all of the sudden it took off, rammed all the way through the house on the corner, and tore a trail all the way across the road and through the school across the street, I guess it was good that it was closed, and it just kept heading towards the ocean.

Bad part is I haven't seen it since and the cops aren't being helpful at all. They're kind of taking a real shitty attitude towards me to be honest, but fuck it, I pay their salaries and they work for me, so I'm sure I'll get my rocket Taco back soon. If you live in the San Diego area and have seen any tire tracks on or near the beach shoot me a PM.

2. Oct 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    That's the best success (lost truck) story I have heard with these engine evolutions. My grandpa owns a body shop so I'll have to slide by there and grab some lacquer thinner sometime. I might try a 50/50 diesel lacquer mix and see how that goes. I'll keep an eye out for the truck over here towards the east coast.

3. Oct 5, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    Toyoman65

Toyoman65 Toyoman65

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport 4x4 sb
    Deog that shit was funny!

4. Oct 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :D After readin all these informative threads, and after watchin the last Mythbusters, I am now going Hybrid. Since I got a four Banger, I've got a lot of room for the mod. I bought a big ol Yellow Optima battery and a set of jumper cables. I'm going to connect the positive cable to the intake to help the flow of positive juice and I'm goin to connect the negative to the front brake caliper, so I can get some recompent energy when I brake. I am goin to buy a new battery ever month so I can run my LED's also. Moddin sure is fun.

5. Oct 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Single stack in the bed has already been done on a drift XR. Twin duals outta the hood off of twin turbos running 60 psi. Darken the sky!!!!

6. Oct 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    Put a battery every where you can fit one on your truck then eventually you yourself will be running off of batteries.

7. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I guess no one told you, you were supposed to start with kerosene first for a while before going to diesel? A quick switch like that and it’s going to smoke. The only fix now is going to kerosene for a few weeks then a 50/50 mix with gas then gas before you can start all over again.

8. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    WHOO WHOO! I bet it would sound better on a diesel.

9. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Las Vegas. As far west as you can go.
    Vehicle:
    work in progress
    gucci interior and chandelier.
    Took the taco diesel to the airport to deliver some race tires needing a ride to vegas today when i realized i went about this all wrong. Instead of turning tacoma into a dodge ram stupid dirty diesel, i am going to convert my Ram into a trophy truck by reversing the process with race fuel. I ran out and bought 770 gallons of 112 { my neighbors have no clue what is on the trailer in front of there house} but in the end i will be sporting a Geiser TT. Win win, the dmv thinks it is a pre 98 diesel at this point.
    I converted my 3rd gen 4runner also, in the end, it turned out to be a 24 valve and it turned white.

IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg

10. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    Do you think I could do that with mine? Go from tacoma to diesel to trophy truck, or would that not work because I started with the tacoma?

11. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I see what you did there, and I disapprove of that location... :p

12. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    There is an RPM Offroad about 30 mins away from me.

13. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Vehicle:
    work in progress

It worked from tacoma to diesel, why would it not work from diesel to trophy truck. You need to buy over 700 gallons of race fuel at 10 bucks a gallon to perform this task. Everyone should have a trophy truck.

14. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    In bristol?

If that's all it costs then I'm in.

15. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    drunktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    Yeah haha

16. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    TPain

TPain [OP] Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    I lived off exit 5 for a short time, so it wasn't far from me.

17. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    When I first saw this post, I just had to shake my head.

Being a diesel technician for 30+ years, this whole thing was confusing. I started thinking, these people are clueless, on how any diesel engine works: or just good story tellers.

They sucked me in and I read all the posts; I suppose for the entertainment factor.

But in saying that, there have engines that started on gasoline and then ran on diesel. Farmall MD tractor 1941-53, is one of them.

Here is a quote from Tractor Data.com. "The Farmall MD was the diesel version of the M. The MD was started on gasoline, by pulling a lever which enlarged the combustion chamber (to lower the compression) and closed the circuit for the spark plugs. After the engine was warm, it was switched over to diesel."

But that engine was designed to be dual fuel, starting on gas, then running normally, on diesel. Our Toyota's are in no way compatible with this. They could be, with the proper internal modifications, different cylinder block, heads, injectors, pistons, etc, etc.

Anyway, have fun with this.

18. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    drunktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Really? You were pretty close to me then

19. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Vehicle:
    work in progress

Based out of Bristol TN.

Go in and see them, great group of guys, and they know there diesel stuff as well as suspension.

20. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    drunktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    I already have. They've done some work for me in the past. Pretty cool guys just really busy. Usually a 2 week+ wait for anything :(

I've got a few shirts from them to :D

Products Discussed in

To Top