1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Neubs, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    dumb ?, but does a 2x4 have a diff breather? I guess I could crawl under the truck and investigate (but I rather take my chances asking online).

BVAL likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    yes.

3. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

I decided to do this on my PreRunner due to the excessive flooding we get in SA. While I had my last pickup I was in the process of rounding up some equipment on the job site when we suddenly had a massive downpour of rain. Before i knew it the only route i had back to high ground was covered with 4+ feet of still water that had collected in a rock basin cut by the milling machine. water was over half way up the doors, but i made it through.... with some water in the rear axle as an end result.

Seems to me like its well worth the very cheap insurance if you could possibly be in situations where your axle will be submerged.

4. Jan 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

Take some time to watch the video on page 1, post #13 by Peircedtiger. This will give you some incite into different ways this mod can be achieved (re-location of breathers). The write up is only depicting the re-location of the rear diff. breather, but the same can be done for the front. I would imagine you would want to keep tubing to a minimum and place the re-located breather under the hood somewhere.

Take a look under your truck and you will see exactly where the diff breather is located. When viewed from the rear of the truck, it is on to top of the axle housing, directly to the left of the pumpkin. You cant miss it. As for the height of the breather, this is relative to your tire size.

5. Jan 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Nice write up. I tend to stay away from deep water due to where the alternator is located in this truck. That would be an expensive fix!

6. Jan 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I believe the front ones were relocated at the factory. Somewhere around the battery there are 2 tubes with breathers in them. Which only begs the question of why Toyota would extend the front, but not the rear? :confused:

sierra141 likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    Neubs

Neubs [OP] Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    Yes I think you are right: Here is a picture of a trans breather that has been extended to just behind the block.
    TransBreather_758bcacf88cbb16172243fab9d8adce2a1fab418.jpg

Here is another picture of two front breather I found on the driver's side fender.

FrontBreathers2_ea4654688bbd80d09df59d656cdd52f186ed0de8.jpg

sierra141 likes this.
  8. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Would it matter much if I relocated to the large cubby hole in the drivers side of the bed? Just seems like an easier place to get to. How does the little cubby pop out? is that 3m type tape i see in neubs OP?

sierra141 likes this.
  9. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    So keep in mind I am new to this stuff. What is the purpose of doing this mod??

10. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I would want the breather relocated somewhere that's weather resistant (i.e. under the hood or otherwise not directly exposed to precipitation).

Watch the video on the first page of the thread. Air in diffs heats up with use. Air expands. Diff breather pops open to keep pressure from building up in the diff and keep anything from overheating. If you drive directly into water that submerges the axle with a hot diff and open breather, there's a high possibility of getting water into the diff where it does what water does to metal. This mod drastically reduces the chances of that.

11. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Actually it doesn't stop over heating, it stops pressure building up and blowing oil past your seals.

I know this because I had a 63 International that had leaking seals replaced 3 times when finally a smart mechanic pulled the diff breather and discovered that it was plugged

sierra141 likes this.
  12. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

*cough*

13. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    umm yea.....thats what the large cubby on the driver side with the door covering it is.......

And also, "not directly exposed to weather" is not the purpose of this mod. I believe the purpose is that when you dip your hot diff. under water, things dont contract from the sudden temp change and suck in water. If it needed to be out of the weather why the hell would they just stick it on the side of the diff. in the first place:der:

14. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I think I was confused about whether you meant one of the cubbies with a closure cover or just one of the open boxes.

Maybe I'm having trouble thinking clearly, but under the vehicle and on top of the axle is rarely exposed to direct rain/snow/etcfall. Potentially some moisture could get thrown its way, but this is rarely an issue in the middle of the undercarriage...more the lateral regions closer to the tires.

My point is, yes, the idea is to keep water out of the diff, so I wouldn't put it anywhere that it might be rained/snowed directly *on*. Paranoia/overkill? Probably, but if you're going to bother doing it, why not do it super right?

Anyway, if you're mounting in one of the covered cubbies, go for it.

15. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    gulzeb, igno1tus and pauldncali like this.
  16. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Like you-better-have-a-snorkel issues, yeah.

Quick question for anyone here who may know: I plan to relocate the rear diff, transfer case, and tranny breathers soon as my truck gets back from having the TSB done.

Does anyone happen to know if the transfer case and tranny use the same size fittings as the diffs (i.e. the Camry union fitting part #90404-51026)? If not, does anyone have the part #/beta for the fittings that will work?

Ha! Laughed out loud at that one. Touche sir! :D

This is why I love this place - people seem to have a sense of humor here.

WorldWar546 likes this.
  17. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Which is a distinct possibility for me. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons. I have the advantage of having small girly-man hands, but the disadvantage of being lazy.

Nice ass truck by the way - read through your build today. YGPM.

18. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I have been meaning to do this since I put my truck under water up to the inspection stickers on the windshield :anonymous:

Dj Suisav likes this.
  19. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Question: as for the breathers in the front...couldnt you get away with just extending the hose and keeping those breathers rather than buying more? i understand why for the rear diff jsut not for the ones in the engine compartment.

Also i seen the pics of the trans and the 2 others that were next to eachother. i assume one is the front diff and the other is the...transfer case??(spoken in Ron Burgandy style)

And are those the only other 3 we have to worry about.

thanks

20. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I have to look over my truck, but as I understand it, the front diff breather is already relocated to the engine bay. The rear diff and transfer case are not. The tranny...might be?

I also believe you can keep the breathers that are installed and just extend them as long as you have the appropriate amount of line and fittings to take their place in the diffs themselves.

Products Discussed in

To Top