1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diff Drop, Shims, UCA's?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Range 44, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Range 44

Range 44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ TTE
    Have a 2011 DC OR PR, Want to put some 5100's on all 4 corners and a 1 1/2" AAL from toyotec. I have the TSB 4 leaf pack. Gonna set the 5100's @ 1.75. Will I need a diff drop, Shims, or UCA's? I would life to keep it as simple as possible without messing with the stock set up too much. Pics of this set up would be nice as well.

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    UCAs-Prolly Not. The other two- Maybe...Maybe not. These trucks all seem to have their own thing when it comes to suspension.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    You shouldn't need any of those for a 1.75" lift.

Definitely don't put any shims in until you experience driveline vibration - then put them in only to correct it.

Here's the best article on diagnosing and solving driveline vibration:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    I have 5100's set at 1.75 and a 1.5 aal, no diff drop, UCA's or shims. I do have a slight vibration from take off, so I do wish I did shims at the same time.
    If you already have the TSB leaf pack and then goin to add a 1.5 aal, I would install shims and drive shaft carrier bearing drop too. With it going to be TSB + AAL, you might want to consider the 5100's set at 2.5 aswell.
    Though aftermarket UCA arn't needed at 1.75, they would def help with getting alittle better feel through the steering wheel and to get your alignment exactly where it needs to be. My alignment is in-spec but not dead on like it would be with UCA.
    As Brunes said... each truck acts alittle different than another.

To Top