1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diff Grenade with Pics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BirdTRD, May 7, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD [OP] Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I blew the rear diff!:( Below are some pictures. I went up an obstacle here in town. I think it's called Frog Rock. Two Land Cruisers and a Jeep Rubicon went up it and I followed. It's a crazy wall but I did make it up!!! Blew my rear diff in the process though. I was in 4 lo with ATRAC on. I did not have the rear diff locked. I probably should have, it probably would have held it together better. The local dealership replaced it under warranty. No questions asked!:D

Kyle made it
    [​IMG]

Really steep!
    [​IMG]

Here I go
    [​IMG]

I had to remove my drive shaft to get where the tow truck could find me
    [​IMG]

2. May 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Yikes!!!!

3. May 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
    Epic hill climb.
    U are man

any pics of the taco climbing it??

4. May 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    That sucks that you blew your rear end. I'm glad it was under warranty.

5. May 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    want pic's with the trucks going up.
    not saying i dont believe you, but that is one steep incline
    and i cant see it

6. May 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Dang! thats a crazy hill. Your a brave man for even attempting it lol.

7. May 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    These diffs are not very stout, I know these axles are very tough, but the ring & pinion are not. Seems like those who push them, break them. My diff breaking was the deciding factor in me not wanting to keep the truck after the lease. Never broken a diff before......

8. May 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Here is a couple more of me heading north. No pictures were taken of me at the steepest part by the girl with the camera for whatever reason but yes, I made it up. If I didn't, I wouldn't lie. There is nothing to be embarrassed about if you don't make it up a hill like that.

However, for those that don't know. This was sandstone (very sticky), my tires were at 15psi, I had ATRAC on, and I have a fairly long wheel base. It's amazing what you can climb with all these pieces in place.

[​IMG]

Just before the steepest part. It looks like I'm posing but I'm not. I'm just listening to the spotter. I don't think I even knew the pic was being taken.
    [​IMG]

9. May 7, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    I'll call bs on the 15 psi in the tires. They look fully inflated to me:crapstorm:

10. May 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    i don't know. the first pic looks like a cliff. trucks can't climb cliffs.

11. May 7, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    xroller

xroller Blowin by em sideways

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner Speedway Blue
    1 hp mod
    I was thinking the same thing. Still a nice climb though brotha. To bad you blew your diff in the process.

12. May 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Greg, Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry your diff blew up. I have been keeping a mental tally and I agree with Hemi that it seems that when people push the Tacoma, the diff gives out. Most diffs that I have read about usually blow up with the locker on.

I'm glad you got it repaired under warranty. :)

13. May 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    200mm ring gear is not very big. Compare to the 9" ring gears from other trucks of similar size....I was impressed at how stout my 2005 Frontier's rear diff was. I abused that sucker, and it never broke. The next gen Taco must be getting the beefed up 4Runner diff.

14. May 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I agree. They do look fully inflated in these pictures but they weren't. They were at 15. The Duratracs have fairly stiff side walls so you have to go below 20 for it to even really start showing.

15. May 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Here are two other guys successfully climbing the very cliff you claim trucks can't climb. The first guy has pictures of the entire thing. The other guy's "success" pic is just a close up of his face so I didn't bother including it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. May 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    Great Photo's!! doesn't anyone in this day and age take Video?? Post it please!

17. May 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    to the OP....that took some balls to try, props to you. Sorry that your diff blew in the process, but glad it is getting fixed free of charge. :)

18. May 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    To my understanding the sandstone is almost like sanding paper and as long as it's dry you can get incredible traction on it.

19. May 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    Dude thats a gnarley ass hill. Props to you

20. May 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes sir, that is correct. It was not named "slick rock" by Jeepers. I understand the term goes back to ranchers and their horses. Apparently, it does not work well with hooves. If your air down, you can do things you would think are impossible. If I had to guess, it's equivalent to 80 grit sandpaper.

Products Discussed in

To Top