1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difference Between 1st & 2nd Gen Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sidehack, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Sep 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    The second gen trucks came out in 05. I've had 4 1st gens and 3 second gens myself so I may be able to offer a little more perspective than some on this subject. If you're building something to go off road the 1st gen is noticeably smaller and I feel overall a better built truck. 1st gens are timing belts, second gens are chains, first gens got the same gas mileage auto/manual and second gen autos get better mileage than manuals. Second gens have the composite beds with storage pockets and more interior storage. Second gens tow WAY better. Second gens also ride a lot better. You really can't go wrong with either one but I would suggest checking both out and see what you think.

2. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    DaMann

DaMann Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    I do believe the 1st Gens had a lower towing capacity but a higher payload capacity. Most people don't seem to care about payloads too much, more concerned with towing. For me, payload is a huge issue, unfortunately for me the 2nd gens have lower capacity :mad: Aside from that and rear drums I still love my 2nd gen but I do have a huge appreciation for 1st gens too.

3. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    If you want better towing, hauling, comfort, and HP -----> 2nd Gen

If you want a better economy, wheeling truck, and less maintenance ------> 1st Gen

And as far as looks go, they both look good

4. Sep 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    I found the suspension more robust in my 1st gen. 2nd gen is more car like as in "watch out for the potholes".

5. Sep 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Extra cup holders in the 2nd gen most importantly. sealed transmission on auto also I see hasn't been mentioned. oil change is the easiest ever made on 2nd gen v6, oil filter is on the top side. I owned a 95 before my 05 and loved it but I would have severe withdrawls with out my current taco.

6. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    Sidehack

Sidehack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed Sport
    Black Westin Oval Step Bar, Blacked out tail lights, ScanGuageII
    I put in the first post asking about the differences between 1st and 2nd gen. A few days after that post, I picked up a 2007 4 door long bed sport model in silver. Low mileage and a great price. Now, four years later it has around 80,000 on it, and a few more scratches. No problems at all. The dealer had put new tires on it to sell it, and I just changed them a few months back. Got a front end alignment shortly after purchase, and paid for the Firestone lifetime alignment, and have had it tweaked a bit several time since then.

I run synthetic oil and change it every 5,000 miles. And it is the easiest oil changes I have ever done on a vehicle. I added a drain tube to the oil filter catch ring and let it drain into my oil drain pan, then plug it with a bolt and hose clamp (learned that here on the forum).

I've hauled a lot of stuff with it, towed things a few times, in general, used it as a truck. Love being able to take three buddies to the shooting range and lock all the guns in the bed under a SnugTop cover.

I have had two Ford Rangers and an F150, but this truck beats them all. Best vehicle purchase I ever made.:):):):):)

7. Oct 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    7A7ER

7A7ER FLYNN LIVES!

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Radiant Red Tacoma XCab PreRunner TRD
    Removed Step Bars, Hood Visor, OEM Bed Mat, Window Tint, Fog Lights Anytime, BFG All-Terrain KO2s, Removed Mud Flaps, Add A Leaf Recall, Color-Matched Grill and Bumper& Plasti-Dipped Badges!
    Nice Follow Up Dude!

Glad your happy with your choice and that TacomaWorld was here to serve.

Thanks for keeping us, Posted.

Get it? Posted? Puns!

LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top