1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difference between 4x2 and 4x4 in the snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bluejays, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I have to admit the first sarcastic answer that poped in my head for an answer was "death." But seriously you can do ok with 4x2. I used to have a crappy ranger (edge, basically the fail trd edition) that was rwd but had an lsd. I drove it on ice in portland and made it to where I was going, but wouldnt' recommend it lol. I did it at about 7mph, and if you breathed on the gas you'd be sideways. I've also driven a lowered G35 coupe in the snow (rwd, summer tires) and both me and the car lived, but again I wouldn't recommend it as I ended up using both lanes (same direction) half the time trying to keep it on the road. I'd venture with some AT's on a rwd taco, you'd be doing well enough minus ice. Again though, with ICE 4x4 helps, but not that much. Stay home and warm instead.

2. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    Driving technique is huge as alot of other folks have posted. Be careful when engine braking, you can still break the rear loose with abrupt clutch engagement. Keep plenty of distance between you and the vehicle ahead.

The most important component which will determine how fast you will stop, or accelerate is ulitmately your tires. To see the effectiveness of snow/all season/summer tires on ice, watch the videos www.tirerack.com has put together using BMW's.

I've driven a 2wd Ford Ranger, std cab, 4cly 5spd, as my daily drive in the upper midwest for 7 winter seasons with no weight in the bed. During some years the snow was a consistent 6-10 inches deep. Before I bought snow tires the driving could be a white knuckle experience every time I needed to go somewhere. My tires where Bridgestone REVO AT's, great tires for mud, and water but lackluster on ice/snow. I'd would watch were I would park so as to not get stuck backing out, especially if the parking space was on an incline.

I'd finally had enough and ordered Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3's and the difference was incredible. With fresh snow on the road the Blizzaks will outperform a front wheel drive vehicle on all seasons. Inclines no longer mattered as I could confidently accelerate without fish talling into the next lane. I still do shame 4x4's in snowy conditions not because of driving skill but better tires.

I have the all season tires and snow tire mounted on two separate sets of wheels. Around about October I change sets, and again about March for warm weather driving.

Temperature plays a huge roll on how well your tire will perform. Any all season tire at about 15F turns into a rolling hockey puck, the tread blocks have very little give for adhesion with the frozen road. Snow tires have a softer rubber compound which is pliable to a considerably lower temperature. The tread is also designed very differently from your usual all season tires, each tread block is deeply siped several times.

Some of the goofy looking mud/all terrain tires I see on lifted 4x4's makes me laugh. When it's -20 outside those big deep tread grooves fill up with snow and are worthless. It would be like taking a highway tire to a rock crawling contest with the same predictable results.

The last consideration is cost, having two sets of wheels/tires is expensive, for a Pre-Runner I'd estimate $1000-$1300 without TPMS sensors, depending on wheel/tire combo. Then you have to have space to store the other set when not in use. That's why most folks opt for a couple hundred pounds of sand in the pickup bed, it's a hellavu lot cheaper, but no where close to the performance of dedicated snow tires.

3. Apr 4, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have a 4x2 with a "Locking Rear Diff." and the truck does very well at low speeds with rear diff. locked. ... :D

Learning to drive in the ice and snow of Quebec, Canada ... I found the big problem with a AWD or 4x4 in snow or ice is your false sense of security.

Much easier to get going in a AWD or 4x4 ... but the AWD or 4x4 does NOT help much in stopping ... lol ... :eek:

SOS

4. Apr 4, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    You should be fine. I have driven in the snow many times w/ my taco. We may not get as much snow as some areas. But I drive my taco in the snow. The only issue I have is it bottoms up. But other than that my taco does great in the snow. I have BFG A/T on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Apr 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    You don't have to have a 4x4 to get by in snow. I drove my car on near bald tires down the icy interstate last winter at 70-80mph. It's all physics. That being said starting out is harder. The back end will want to swing around on you. Weight helps counteract that as does slow acceleration. Stopping distance will increase so drive accordingly. Lateral traction on corners will decrease so drive slower. I'd recomend trying to find somewhere safe to try to induce skids from acceleration and whatnot so you can see what happens. Need LOTS of room without lightpoles and what not for that.

6. Apr 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Ben10

Ben10 New Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    I've been driving a 4x2 pre-runner since last October and we live in Winnipeg,Manitoba ("Winterpeg",Mani"snow"ba for those of you who are unfamiliar with us). The only times I've had problems with traction have been on ice and usually only parking lots. My advice is if you're in an area that gets snow on a fairly regular basis load snow in the box, it's free. You need some weight in the box and it really helps keep your back end from swinging out when your accelerating. The locking diff also does help if you're losing traction, in the parking lot that is. Just stop the wheels from turning, lock the diff, accelerate slowly and usually it gets you out. I needed help once and that was only this spring. We had a few days of melting then that froze and it was followed by a dump of snow with blowing. I didn't have any weight in the back at the time. Anyone else still have snow? :boink:By the way, this is Ben10's wife and I love the truck.

7. Apr 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    #Reistlehr-

#Reistlehr- AngryTacoma

Member:
    Parsippany, NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    Just pick up my mom and toss her in the back. Should be more than enough, but hopefully you have the Leaf Spring TSB...

4x4 is nice.. but with mine i can't turn.. had to use it quite a bit in the wet season towing crap outta the swamp..

8. Apr 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Peopel in those areas still drives camery and accord so I dont think anyone needs a 4x4. Its like needing an Iphone to make a phone to send a text message.

9. Apr 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    We still have snow... Probably more tomorrow... :cool:

10. Apr 8, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I couldn't have said it better. I grew up and got my drivers licens in Alaska. Every day there would be about ten people in the ditch on the way to Angcorage cause they though since they had 4x4 they could do 85mi on ice. Momentum is important while driving on ice and snow, as is DEceleration, Aceleration, not so much.

11. Apr 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ive got a prerunner and mine handled fine in the snow. yes i fishtail on corners but I know how to keep in control. Just take your corners nice and slow and if you start to slide, DONT SMASH THE BRAKES! tap on them and slow down early if its slick

12. Apr 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    If you have never driven on snow or ice, go find an EMPTY parking lot and go play. Practice your starts and stops with no one around and you will learn what works and what doesn't. Not to mention it's FUN.

Better to learn with no one around than on a busy street with cars/people around.

You don't "have" to have 4 wheel drive to drive in the snow - grew up in CT (and learned to drive) and never had 4WD and we had lots of snow and ice. Even got my license in the middle of a snow storm.

13. Apr 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    cheefsfn

cheefsfn Active Member

Member:
    Gardner, KS
    Make sure you have a rubber bed mat or block the items you are using for weight to prevent them from sliding around a beating the hell out of your bed. Sand bags will get moisture in them and freeze solid and they will slide just like a block of ice.

14. Apr 9, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    210 pounds of sand and some decent AT tires got me through 3 UP of Michigan winters (320" snow) in a crappy Ranger I had. What I did was put the sand bags in an "I" (there were 3 bags) so it'd keep itself stationary. Of course, they froze together, but that's a different story...

Add some weight, drive carful, and you'll be fine!

Products Discussed in

To Top