1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difference between SR5 suspension and TRD suspension

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by carletos, Dec 6, 2009.

1. carletos

carletos [OP] Member

Member:
    Victoria TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Regular Clean Slate
    Weathertechs, rear TSB, Eibachs, 1/2"spacers,5100s
    After reading the plethora of info that is available on the site I am left with one main question. What is the difference between the SR5 coils that are on my 09 regular cab prerunner and the TRD coils? The reason I ask is because I would like to emulate the TRD ride of my friend's tacoma. Should I just purchase the coils or is the better option. Any help would be appreciated. This is also my first post so let me know if I made any newbie mistakes.

2. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    SR5 and TRD Sport use a non progressive rate spring, while the TRD Off Road uses a Progressive rate spring.

3. carletos

carletos [OP] Member

Member:
    Victoria TX
    Vehicle:
    So should I just go to the dealership and order TRD off-road coils, or is there a better aftermarket choice?

4. NotstockTRD

NotstockTRD TRD

Member:
    st louis
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner V6 with many mods..
    Shitloads
    sr5 indicates chrome package I thought?

5. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    SR5 is an interior package more than a suspension thing- I think he means the base suspension.

And there are much better options in aftermarket purchases- OME, Bilstien both make shocks, OME also makes coils...as does eibach and a few others.

6. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner AC Sport Rally 5 Spd
    Tail gate hose clamp, Front Windows 50% tint, fog lights, 894 backup light mod, LED license & interior.
  7. carletos

carletos [OP] Member

Member:
    Victoria TX
    Vehicle:
    If I already picked up some stock trd bilstein shocks, can I use them with eibach coil lift? Thanks for all the help.

8. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I think you can...but you are better off getting shocks made to be used with a lift kit....The TRD coils are not built to be lifted.

9. Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Also remember the TRD Off Road has a smaller sway bar to go with the progressive coils, your PreRunner has the TRD Sport coils and sway bar (which is bigger). To avoid a mismatch in your suspension set up, you should just get the TRD shocks.

10. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    The Off Road, and SR5 have the same sway bar, but the TRD Sport has a larger diameter.

11. canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    I am running the Eibach coils with stock TRD shocks. On road it is great, if you are going to do serious of road with large compressions then a 5100 would be a better shock. Myself, I only do service roads and the odd rough road so I don't feel the need to change out my TRD's. I do find the odd large bump it would be nice to have more dampening.

12. BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Defroster mod, Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    I have a 07 Prerruner double cab with SR5 package (no TRD). What size in mm is my swaybar?

To Top