1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difference in ride quality/performance between off road and sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OCTaco, May 7, 2010.

?

Is there a difference in performance and drive quality between the Sport- Off Road?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2010.
  1. Sport is definately more responsive and smoother

64 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Off Road is more responsive and smoother

25 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. You're looney

30 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. I haven't a clue???

85 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. May 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I think you're going to notice the difference due solely to tires/wheels. For the last several years, I was driving with BFG AT KO Load Range D tires and recently switched to P-rated tires...same size. BTW, I have the 16" wheels and an SR5, so the sidewalls of the tires are larger than the stock tire size on 17" wheels and I've got the same linear springs as the Sport (I'm running 5100's on all 4 corners).

Anyway, it's taking me quite a while to get used to the soft sidewall of the P-rated tires on the turns with bumps. Take a 65 mph turn with a large bump in the turn, and you can definitely feel the difference.

The Load Range D tire with it's stiffer sidewall didn't let the rear end sway after the bump at all. With the P-rated tire and its softer sidewall, I feel the back end sway towards the outside of the turn on its way back down from hitting the bump. And when I say I feel it, I'm not exaggerating! It's amazingly soft...and scary when you're not used to that loose feeling (gimme back my old Rx7...just kidding). I'm finally getting used to it, but if I pay attention I can still feel it.

In short, smaller tire sidewall is not going to let the rear end sway as much on turns. I think if you found somewhere like this to test out both trucks, you'd be getting the Sport. But if you're planning on getting new tires or wheels in the future, it really doesn't matter which one you get now since you'd be making it handle the way you want anyway with those wheel/tire choices.

2. May 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    My buddy had an '05 Off Road, I have an '06 Sport, the two drove exactly the same when bone stock.

3. May 8, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Tacodog

Tacodog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Renton, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD offroad DCSB Cement
    Icon stage 1, Icon upper control arms, 17” Fuel wheels,Ridge Grapplers, TRD exhaust, leather interior.
    Read it last night. Brutal. Lmao. 400 for paint and tape.

4. May 8, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    MrZoggs

MrZoggs Ainokea

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB Sport
    Some Stuff...
    I work for Toyota, and get to drive every model there is.

There really isn't a noticeable difference between the two.. At least not that I can tell. But if you want to get technical the sport should be a nicer ride than the O.R.

Is it worth getting the Sport over O.R?? Probably not.. Unless you like the sport package. Then I'd say go for it.

5. May 8, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The springs are the same rate. Off Road has Progressive rate springs, the Sport doesnt. The Sport also has a larger diameter sway bar.

6. May 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I believe the Sport has a larger anti-sway bar.

7. May 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    IMO go with the Off Road, having a rear locker is AWESOME! The fake hood scoop on the Sport is ridiculas.
    If the hood scoop was functioning it would be a different story, it’s like putting a 4X4 sticker on a PreRunner.

8. May 9, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I think the largest single difference I have yet to see was when I upgraded to 17" rims and softer-side-walled tires. Instantly thought the ride was vastly superior to the SR5. That being said before upgrading the crap SR5 suspension to the sport via new struts and and AAL I went and talked to a tacoma tech at my local stealership about the pros and cons of buying OR springs. He said that he preferred the springs in the SR5/Sport to the OR progressives and that the ride was generally smoother with them. I am not one to say yes or no, but that was his opinion.

If you are reading this and have the SR5 black shocks definitely scrape $100 together and find some Sport/OR shocks with low miles. Its a DIY job that it totally worth it!

9. May 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I picked the OR because I felt it ran smoother. The stock tires on the OR has more sidewall which translates to smoother ride. The shorter sidewall has better cornering. Why would I be worried about serious cornering in a truck?

10. May 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    If a smoooth ride is what you are lookin for, the sport is what you want. Consumer Reports rated the off road as a stiff ride. :turtleride:

11. May 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport

i just read that thread! that just hilarious!

12. May 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    I was reading somewhere last night that the Off-Road has a different camber set-up in the rear; anyone confirm this?

13. May 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    No. The rears are the same.

14. May 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.
    OP- If you also drove a long-bed Sport, the ride will definitely be much different. Longer wheelbase is much smoother than the shortbox wheelbase. Different truck for different uses.

15. May 14, 2010 at 3:02 AM
    tammikm

tammikm Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    i've owned both and felt no difference.

16. May 14, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    Simms65

Simms65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '16 Quicksand O/R M/T
    I test drove both extensively before deciding on the OR. The sport has a slightly tighter on road feel, but for the extra couple hundred bucks the OR has some great toys. In the end A-TRAC and Clutch Start Assist won me over in comparison to 17" wheels and the hood scoop. For me it was never an issue of TRD or not. The seats more than anything else put me there. Huge difference. :)

17. May 14, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    IDk guys, I feel like the O.R. picks up all of the little bumps in the road and for whatever reason the sport seems more responsive.

18. May 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    Im gonna trade up my sport hood scoop for the high performance taped on one. $400 is nuthin for improved gas mileage AND a group of tire biters. sure wish i had the rear locker though....anyone know where to get a stick-on version?

19. May 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    That's what she said :D

20. May 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    wtf? how do u have camber in back? im hella confused :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top