1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

different kind of AAL question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by colinb17, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 [OP] If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    so i have two questions about AALs. i can install an aal with my eyes closed, so no need for help with that, but i couldn't find the answeres to these other questions. as for the toytec aal for the tsb springs, is the 1.5 in lift listed as the height increase right after install, or is that after they settle. just trying to make a decision about what height i need to get the truck level where i want it.

second question is...if i install the aal, how much will it affect my alignment. I have 2.5 in of lift up front on stock ucas, so my caster isn't great (1.9 with a little vibe from 55-65 mph) i got to thinking, if you lift the rear, it may be minimal, but the way you are rotating the truck, oyu are essentially taking away caster aren't you? and also, say your camber is off (wheels like this \ /) if you lift the rear, you could turn the off-caster into bad tow specs.

maybe i'm overthinking it for the amount of lift being applied, but i thought i'd ask. any input is apreciated :)

2. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I don't know about the toytec aal's, but I've put aals on Jepps in the past and after alot of wheeling and/or time they'd lose anywhere from .5" to more. Eventually all leafsprings will go flat...

I wouldn't recommend to try and over compensate for this tho, just go with what you need, 1.5" etc, and if you need to replace it in 2 or 3 years it will be a cheap fix.

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    that's what i was thinking about them settling.

any thoughts about the alignment issues?

4. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    btw, i'm saving up for some LR UCAs, so i will be getting an alignment when those come in. so i'm basically asking if i can install the AAL and wait to get the UCAs before i get the alignment, or should i wait till i am about to get the alignment?

5. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    You will be fine, but get the UCAs when you can and you will be super happy.

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    By lifting the rear you are changing the angles in the front. I'd get an alignment.

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    thanks guys, looks like i'll just wait till i get the UCAs and install it all at once so i only have to get one alignment.

Products Discussed in

To Top