1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Different kind of scope question

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by swtaco10, May 25, 2020.

1. May 25, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    swtaco10

swtaco10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    South of Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's, LED interior and puddle lights, 17" XD revolver's, Grabber A/T2's
    So I'm new to the scope world. Always had red dots or iron sights with no real desire to go past 25-50 yards. However, I'm getting older and now my interests have changed. So, TW, let me tell you what I want to do and I'll let the fine people here point me in the direction. I want to be able to reach out a bit, mind you the farthest I can shoot is 250 yards limited by the range I go to. I have a Springfield Saint Victor in 5.56 with no real modifications. I would like to keep it fairly simple and under $500 with a mount if possible.

2. May 27, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    MadRussian

MadRussian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR AC
    Do you have other rifles you may use this scope on?
    I'm a proponent of spending a little more on one good scope and QD mount and moving it between guns, rather than buying two+ cheaper scopes. That being said, my suggestion would be a 4-14x ~ 3-18x type scope from Vortex or Primary Arms and an ADM QD mount. I look at glass clarity before any bells and whistles the scope has, but things like FFP, wide turrets and cool reticles are very nice to have.

3. May 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Some scopes have adjustable parallax. Primarily air rifle scopes. This allows clear (adjustable) focus as close as 15 yards. Leupold is my go to brand.

4. May 27, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro.
    -Shmellfab rocksliders.... -BD ditch lights -Cali raised ditch light brackets -Sway bar discos -Auxbeam aux 6 gang -Uptop Bravo -Rci trans skid -Rci cat guards -Trd pro eibach lift springs -Hypertech speedo calibrator Etc.
    you can do a series of things, but you’ll have to do what’s good for you if you think your eyes will have issues. 250y TO ME is easy territory, especially with a torso size target. A red dot/hollow with a 36/300 zero will be right in their. If you’re shooting say smaller type target or looking for more precision, then a LVPO might be the way to go. If magnification in general is what you need but you’re not going for precision and looking to make contact with a torso sized target but your eyes just suck, then a ACOG like/prism would probably do you well.

5. May 27, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    swtaco10

swtaco10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    South of Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's, LED interior and puddle lights, 17" XD revolver's, Grabber A/T2's
    I'd say a little more on sharp shooting with more emphasis on better groupings in a tighter area than throwing lead down range at a torso sized target. As of now it'll be on one rifle, although I'm a fan of buying a tool that can be used on multiple platforms. Currently looking at the vortex diamondback tactical in 4-14X44. Features a FFP, parallax adjustment, and stellar warranty. I'm familiar with Primary Arms but not their scopes. Hows the quality of the glass? Do they stand up to more expensive brands?

Martyinco likes this.
  6. May 27, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    MadRussian

MadRussian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR AC
    Most optics company now have scopes at every quality level and price point. I would search for reviews of "X vs Y" scopes at your price point more so then overall companies. Once you get past the check box features (FFP/SFP, turrets, illumination, etc) you are looking more finite stuff like glass coating that allows better/worse light transmition, field of view at X magnification, smoothness of zoom movement, clickiness of the clicks, etc. Another thing to remember is reducing weight and size costs money. A cheaper scope with similar features to a higher end one might be bulkier.
    Put a good amount of thought into your reticle, after all that what you will see your target though. It's hard to be precise with a fat cross that cover your hole bullseye. Personally I prefer a MIL with and open cross with maybe a dot. Some like very busy tree reticles because it's easy too hold over, some like a basic cross.

Gearheadesw likes this.
  7. Dec 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    mattys010

mattys010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have vortex diamondback 3-12x42 and love it.

8. Dec 23, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    I only have 1 AR with a scope. Running a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4. Great glass and reaches out as far as I need.

[​IMG]

uurx likes this.
  9. Dec 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    for your price point I would highly consider a redfield revolution
    believe it or not this specific scope by redfield is still made yes both designed and assembled here in the usa

Sig45 likes this.
  10. Dec 24, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    I've got a Nikon 4x12 22lr scope on my 10/22, and it's cheap, bright , and clear. Getting the correct eye relief distance is going to help tremendously, letting you get a good sight picture. Any .556 designated scope will reach out past 600 yards.

IMG_0180.jpg

11. Dec 27, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
    I think Leupold moved most everything under the Redfield lineup to the Leupold name in some form. Their website shows no new models, just warranty stuff. https://www.redfield.com/
    Sucks, cause I have one of their scopes and for what it cost its a great optic. I think the Vortex Diamondback line is pretty comparable in quality and price.

uurx[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Dec 29, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Gator26

Gator26 Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD off-road
    I have the diamond back tactical on my CZ 455 and it’s great, not something I’d ever consider for serious use but it’s very fun and great quality for the money. Definitely go with the Christmas tree reticle. Glass quality is ok and certainly useable but nothing near as good as my razor 1-6. I’m a big fan of vortex in general.

Products Discussed in

To Top