1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Neubs, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Finally got a new shipment of round tuits and did this mod today. Stupidly simple with these excellent directions by Neubs.

Hardest part was getting the side panel out. Broke one of the 4 tabs that hold it in. No biggie to me though. Maybe best not done when its 20 degrees out. :)

Did not run the hose to through the gas fill but left it free way up inside the bed side near the top rail. I'll decide if I want to permanently affix the new breather to the gas filler area or the cubby or the bed side later when it's warmer.

2. Jan 16, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    So if I understand this correctly, It's not only about changing the location of the breather, but also about changing out the one-way breather to the two-way breather? IF you were to change the location of the breather but use the OEM one-way breather you are essentially not fixing the problem???

wouldn't it be better to just re-use the one-way breather so that if you do go through some really high water the, the breather closes and doesn't draw water straight in....???

3. Jan 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The one way breather still allows pressure to build up for axle seals to handle no matter where you put it. The oem one way is also threaded and short threads, not sure how good hose would work trying to clamp it on. With the 2 way breather relocated up high there is way less chance of water getting in up there and it won't build up pressure for the axle seals to have to manage.

4. Jan 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    its actually not about your diff building up pressure, it's more about you diff having a lower pressure then it's surroundings. I found a vid on here that explains it pretty well.

your diff is always pretty warm and most of the time outgasing through your breather, but when you go into water it rapidly cools it which creates neg pressure is your diff and closes the breather which then causes water to be pulled in through your seals. SO, to counter this you need to 2 way breather to make sure the pressure in your diff stays constant.

I think I answered my own question now, thanks a lot!!

I was just thinking that with the 2 way breather it would be easier to get water in through the breather if you were in really high water since there would be nothing stopping it. I guess the only solution would be to have the breather as HIGH as possible!!

5. Jan 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    All correct (not about pressure building - but the temp differential). The hot and quickly cooled differential creates a vacuum in the differential due to the air inside condensing with the now cold differential. This draws air in. If you have a one way breather, it will draw water in through the seals of the differential. Rather with a 2 way breather, it will draw air in through it instead (or water if you located it very low:D).

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    So I guess the fluid and air inside the housing getting hot doesn't expand any right? Wrong. It's both. The fluid expands as it warms and the one way breather holds pressure in to a certain point making the seals do more work & the cold water dunking thing. I fully understand the dynamics of throwin hot axle in cold water but thanks for the reminder. Can you explain why, (with no water or temp inversion involved), there is a pressure release when removing the oem breather after the thing has sat overnight and everything has cooled? I want my axle seals to hold fluid, not pressure in either direction.

7. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Yeah, that's exactly what I had already said. I wasn't trying to explain anything to you buddy, I was simply answering my own question so that members knew they didn't have to spend time (like you) responding to me! :)

Are you sure when you removed the OEM breather that it was RELEASING pressure? Cause (also what I had previously said) if it was a one-way breather it could have been PULLING air in from the overnight cooling of the air and fluid creating a vacuum. both would have made a hissing noise?

8. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So easy I can't believe I hadn't done it years ago. I wanted to clear some space off on my work bench and the parts for this mod were taking up space....They aren't any more.

Guess it might be time to swap diff fluid to clean whatever crap out might be in there.

9. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Sorry, didn't get that based off the "diff not actually building pressure" statement.

Either way, all scientific whatever anyone wants to analyze or how they wanna phrase it, the axle seals are uneccessarily dealing with pressure they don't need to be from a one way breather and by doing this mod they won't have to and water won't enter unless submersing the whole truck to past whatever height you place the 2 way.

10. Jan 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    dwsyab

dwsyab Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sturbridge MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    TRD Exhaust, rear diff breather mod, CB Radio
    I completed the breather mod this past Saturday but I routed the new location to the covered storage compartment in the bed wall instead of the location shown in the pics. I was afraid that the double sticky tape that holds the little "pop-out" cubby, that has to be removed to gain access to the back of the fuel filler, was not a viable option considering the 8 degree Fahrenheit temperature in my garage on Saturday night.

11. Jan 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    That's where I put mine, plus it has a cover over it to keep it from the elements (at least more so than the open bay as there are holes in the cubby).

T@co_Pr3runn3r- Mine did not release or take in any pressure and I did mine in the cold though. If may have been taking air in as stated before since it let air out when hot (driving).

12. Jan 20, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I did mine cold, not after driving.

13. Jan 21, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    What I was saying is that as you drive, it got hot. So it let air out the one way valve. Since it is one way, it did not let air back in. Then since you did the mod cold, the air inside the diff condensed, making the pressure inside the diff less than outside pressure (since it would have equalized when hot by pushing air out the one way valve). When you opened the valve, air goes in in order to equalize pressure.

If not, then I don't have a clue.

14. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    so i'm a total newb and I want to do this. It looks easy enough with the great instructions, pics, and walk through.

My question is, should I do this mod in the cold (air temp), when the truck is cold (air and havn't driven the truck) or warm (air temp) or when the truck is warm (been driven)?

Thanks...but then again, this is a "dad" truck so i probably don't even need to do it. But why not, right?

15. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    doesn't matter.

16. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    air temp makes not difference at all.

17. Feb 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    impulse and manwithoutaplan, thanks.

18. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl

Doesn't matter. When you remove the OEM breather from the diff it will allow air in or out. Just be sure it's not too hot to the touch!! :) And that nothing falls in the diff!!

19. Feb 9, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    As he said, doesn't make a difference in the air temp.
    Just ensure you aren't handling a hot differential, that wouldn't affect it - just would suck. :eek:

20. Mar 16, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.

Products Discussed in

To Top