1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difficulty starting 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by luckyRT, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    luckyRT

luckyRT [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Here are the facts:

Taco barely 1 1/2 month old.
    80 degree daytime temperature today.
    Parked on driveway for only 8 hours.

Cranked engine twice for about 5 seconds...no start.
    Third time, after about 3-4 second crank it starts. Slightly rough idle that goes away as engine warms up. Drove around the block with no issues. Parked and turned off engine then started up engine with no issues.

This has never happened before. Anyone else have similar experience? Should I be concerned and what should I do?

Thanks

2. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Just once? I wouldn't worry about it. Happens to everyone once in a while.

Sounds like you just got a teeny bit of water in the fuel or something similar.

If it becomes chronic though you have a problem.

3. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    tacomajamie

tacomajamie Well-Known Member

Member:
    in 4500 miles, my 2012 has done this over 6 times.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    Oregon Territory
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    STOCK: DRL, Tow Package, All Weather Mats HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Color-matched Grille, Heated Wet Okoles, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails
    Wow. I would take that in to have the monkeys at the dealer take a look. Just hope they dont screw up anything else! ha. :(

5. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

6. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Try using another key that came with the truck. A lot of issues have to do with the anti theft system.

7. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    johnny 5

johnny 5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Black 07 TRD Off road 4x4
    7-6'' sno-way plow w/DP
    My 07 4.0 went through a period like that between 30,000-50,000 miles it would produce long crank times. I currently have 102,000 and it hasn,t done it for a real long time. I had a Ford Ranger before this it was an 04 and from day 1 that truck would have long cranks and alot of false starts 1st attempt. The dealer told me they never seen it before and had no cure for it. they replaced a few things and I got sick of going back and just lived with it.

8. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My 09 does it now and then, I think the fuel drains back to the tank.

9. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    ive heard it has something to do with our fuel system which is the same from 2005 it just happens i wouldnt worry about it

10. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    JPasquini

JPasquini Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TDR Sport DCLB
    None yet
    My 2011 DCLB has experienced three similar hard starts regardless of weather conditions. Mileage is only 2500 miles. Had to two different dealers, neither of whom could replicate the problem (of course). No codes displayed or pending.

Thanks to TW, i have lerned to set the key to the RUN position briefly before actually cranking the starter... That seems to avoid the problem altogether.

I know the 09's and earlier had a TSB on the issue calling for a computer firmware flash, but I haven't seen anything about the bulletin being extended to our newer model years.

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    toned

toned Member

Member:
    iv had my 2012 Tacoma for about 3 weeks, and it takes longer to start than the 9 year old Nissan sentra i used to drive

12. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Derp

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Lindale, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Stow-away roof rack, Entune navigation, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler, Tan Softopper.
    Damn, my 2012 starts up a lot faster than the 2008 I used to drive. I hope I don't run into this problem in the future

13. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    My 2012 takes a few cranks to start as well. Tomorrow I plan on adding a red container of "Heet" to the fuel to see if there was any water in the fuel system. Don't use the yellow containers as that stuff is garbage.
    One other thought is to turn the key on for a couple of seconds to pressurize the fuel system before cranking.

14. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    sean266

sean266 #ThinBlueLine Moderator

Member:
    Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it

15. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.7" URD Pulley, APR X1, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Alcan aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, m/t atz 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Well everyone, it's a common problem i think with all the years from 05 up (V6) There are a bunch of threads of people mentioning starting taking too long. You would think by now this issue would of been addressed and fixed. I even have an upgraded fuel pump and I still have instances where it takes a while to start.

16. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon Coilovers, BudBuilt Skids, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, JDM Steering Wheel, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps
    If you can hear the starter cranking, is it still the anti-theft system or transmission interlock at fault?

17. Jan 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I'm on my third second gen taco (05 09 12) and they have all done this. Usually in winter. It's a minor problem - if you've ever frozen your ass off at 20 below while hosing down a carburetor with starting fluid, you know what I mean.

Anyway, with my 2012 and the new Scangauge, I am keeping better track of my mileage - meaning I am keeping better track of where I get my fuel.

I usually fuel at the Exxon station down the street - but my wife sometimes gets discounts on gas from a BP near here and so I go there - about once a month. Now, there isn't a noticeable difference in mileage or performance, but the only times I have had trouble starting has been shortly after filling up at BP.

18. Jan 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    l1tech

l1tech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    bend,oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    3" Redilift
    The longer crank times are related to the etanol content in the fuel. This is most noticed on warm/hot days or after a long drive. The location of the fuel rails allow for "hot soak" problems, essentially a small vapor lock. This problem occurs in other vehicles as well. Our fuel is supposed to have no more than 5% ethanol content. I have had the same problem on my '11. Last summer it was happening frequently so I took some fuel samples and recorded etanol levels as high as 10%. ( mileage was in the toilet too). Changed fuel brands for a while, no more problems. The wife's Acura has the same problem.
    Long story, short answer....its our overpriced, stitty fuel. Highly irritating but not much you can do about it.

19. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    Happened to me for the first time yesterday...it was weird...just under freezing temps and very windy conditions...dunno never had it happen before.

20. Jan 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    Dumped a container of red "HEET" in the tank when I filled her up. The slow starting has slowly disappeared. This makes me think somehow the trucks pick up a little water in the fuel system at some point in the assembly.

Water will never leave the fuel system unless you can mix it with alcohol (HEET) which then allows the mixture to be burned. Water, being heavier than gas will sink to the bottom of the tank as well.

Try it, for a couple of bucks it could be a cheap fix. But if you are in an area selling ethanol doubt it would help any.

To Top